Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 18 year menopause  (Read 4200 times)

Butterfly22

18 year menopause
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »

I posted yesterday as started menopause at 25 been to hell and back with HRT finally last two years settled on one so I basically put the menopause to the back of my head and tried to forget about it as it dose upset me and get me down.
The HRT I'm on is being discontinued so back to square one.
I feel very alone on this journey it just seems to be a chain around my ankle, no one I no is going through it, the doctor is ok but I have to do the research. I just feel like I should have had more help over the years feel like I'm just brushed under the carpet.
I hope it's ok and posted on the right thread just can't say how I feel to many people. X

Dancinggirl

Re: 18 year menopause
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »

Hi Lil22
You have had a rough time.  Sadly the medical profession still doesn't understand how devastating the lack of oestrogen can be and also HRT treatments are far from perfect.
I started my meno in my mid 30s and that was tough enough - I had fortunately had my 2 children when my meno started.

The physical and mental repercussions can be enormous - nothing will replace the natural hormones that we should have through our reproductive years.

What HRT have you been using? I assume you are in your mid 40s now?
Do look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page to get clued up about your options - I'm sure we can help you find something that will work for you - it may be trial and error I'm afraid. GPs are rarely clued up about HRT so it's a good idea to print stuff off from this site to actually show them what you want to try.
If you want to stick with HRT as combined pills then Femoston (sequi or conti versions available) is a good one to try - the progesterone is kinder.
I had real trouble finding an HRT to suit me - for me HRT has always been a compromise of benefits versus the side effects.  I generally did better on a sequential HRT than a continuous HRT - progesterone all the time didn't suit me.
Through my 40s I used Oestrogel (1-2 pumps per day applied to inner thighs)) with progesterone in pill form for 10 days each month and this gave me a light bleed for 3-4 days afterwards - Provera or Utrogestan are the current progesterone options available.
We are here to support you - keep posting and your experiences could be helpful to others who have POF.  DG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:40:35 PM »

Lil22 - I would definitely try the Oestrogel again - I would use 2 pumps per day, make sure the skin is clean and dry (no moisturisers on the area you apply the gel). It will take at least 2-4 weeks to get any flushes under control.
You can go up to 4 pumps per day but I would start with 2 pumps per day, then after 4 weeks have your oestrogen levels tested and if they are not at a reasonable level, then increase the dose.
What progesterone did you use with the Oestrogel?  If it was Utrogestan, and you took it continuously, then this can reduce the benefits of the oestrogen - Utrogestan can also make one feel sedated and tired.  Perhaps try Provera and do the 10 days per month and see if that works?
It is trial and error.  DG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »

Lil22 - I'm 61 now and decided to stop systemic HRT about 7 months ago - for me the side effects were outweighing the benefits.  I still use local oestrogen (Vagifem).
I have tried just about every HRT going over the last 25 odd years, so my advice is strictly based on my own experience and having read some of the experiences of other ladies on this forum.

Of all the progesterones I have tried, Utrogestan gave me the most problems - I did try it vaginally but because I have urogenital atrophy it really burned and irritated that whole area.
Utrogestan is considered the safest progesterone, particularly for older women, but it is less stable than the more synthetic types of progesterone and can bring more problematic bleeding and other side effects that can be difficult to cope with.
If you look under TREATMENTS above, there is a section on the progesterones and you can print that off to show the GP. Also print off the oestrogen section.
Maybe try the Provera (also quite a kind progesterone) and use this in the sequential way - so 10-12 days each month so this will make your womb lining shed. My gynae told me that he felt it was important to use progesterone for enough days each month ( at least 10 days) to ensure the womb shed properly and prevent erratic bleeding.  You will read on this forum that some women get away with doing fewer days on progesterone and pay to have regular scans to check the lining is OK - this can be very expensive. The NHS won't fund regular scanning.
As to when to start your new regime - I personally feel it's best to stop HRT for around 2-4 weeks and then start fresh - sometimes the transition can be rocky and it can be useful to see how you feel without HRT for a short time - this may help you to be less fearful of stopping HRT when you get to your mid 50s when normal meno would happen.
However you could just start the new regime when you stop the current HRT.  Are you currently on a continuous HRt - you haven't told me which one you are taking????
You could also start by just using Oestrogel for around 3-4 weeks to let this settle before starting the progesterone - there is some flexibility with using HRT in this type of regime - so having a slightly longer break between progesterone phases is possible.  I used to always start the 10 days of progesterone on the 1st of the month and occasionally delay this for a few days if I knew I had important work or an event coming up.

If you are on an AD that is suiting you, then adding in the Oestrogel now may work really well for you - there seem to be many women who need both ADs and HRT.
Hope that is helpful.  DG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 12:27:09 PM »

Hi Lil22
If you were on Premique then you can mirror this almost exactly:

Premarin is the same oestrogen as in Premique:   http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Provera is the same progesterone as in Premique:    http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

As Premique was a continuous HRT, and this clearly suited you well, then I would be inclined not to do the sequi regime but simply use Provera on the lower dose everyday.

If you struggled with the Oestrogel before, then why not stick with pills - you will simply take two pills each day instead of one. I'm a great believer in keeping things simple.
A new regime using Oestroge and experimenting generally wouldn't be a good idea with all your health issues.

Others may offer different advice and possibly disagree with me - ultimately you have to decide which way to go.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »

Hi there

Dancinggirl - great you have realised the same thing (about Premique!) - in fact there are two threads going on from Lil22 and several of us have already replied to Lil's earlier thread specifically about Premique, which is why it's only you on this one - in case you were wondering why we weren't coming along with advice! Yours is comprehensive though :)

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,34954.0.html

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 02:47:19 PM »

Hey you're not a pain at all!!! I was just explaining to Dancinggirl why some of us hadn't replied on this thread!

I am sorry that you feel so alone and it is understandable as you are so young and have been through this at such a young age. Most of us who go through menopause at the average age (50 ish) - may have 30-40 years post-menopause but you will have had so many more - but important that you continue with treatment so that you keep as well as possible. What some of the medical profession don't seem to have got to grips with (many GPs) is that post-menopause is the rest of your life following cessation of ovulation - not just the few years of hormonal turmoil around the menopause.

Also maybe you will react differently to different preparations at different stages of your life/age?

Take care

Hurdity x  :bighug: