Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Skin Problems  (Read 4735 times)

Sinead

• First Flush
Skin Problems
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »

Hi, I was wondering if any of you ladies have experienced issues with your skin.  I have been peri-menopausal for the past three years and have developed terrible reactions to food.  I have been tested but have no 'allergies' - it appears I am intolerant to the histamine in certain foods and my skin develops rashes, hives and itches like crazy.  I have been told I have urticarial caused by hormone changes. I am living on anti-histamines but these too have side effects.  I have also just developed a twitching right cheek and numbness on the right side of my face also.  Anybody experiencing anything similar?

Would love to hear from someone!
Thanks
Sinead

Annie0710

Re: Skin Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »

I have lots of allergies from age 21 and carry epipens but since meno my allergies have hugely increased, I've developed asthma too

Please just get the twitching and numbness checked over by your gp just in case it's not meno related

Sinead

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »

Thanks Annie,

Are you through the menopause yet or still in peri?

I am hoping (and have been told) that these symptoms will fade away after menopause!

Here's hoping.
Sinead

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »

They haven't for me. I'm 50 and at least 2 years post meno x

SalW

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:32:09 PM »

Hi Sinead,

I have all over body and face tingling and I can get numb cold patches on my face and scalp.  It's really weird and a bit scarey sometimes! x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »

Hi Sinead - I developed allergies to certain things while in peri. I'd always had a tendency to have a sensitive skin. I experienced the same type of hives etc you describe. My allergies were to various fruits, processed meats and white wine (sulphites I think). Dried apricots were dreadful.

It was some time after I started HRT, almost ten years ago, that I realised I hadn't had a reaction for some time and, even when I was off HRT, a couple of years ago the allergies didn't return.

Taz x

Tempest

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:41:09 PM »

Oh yes, Sinead! I had serious problems when I started peri, to the point of anaphylaxis and was diagnosed as being intolerant to any drugs that cause histamine release. I never had any problems before this.

I carry 2 epi pens and medicate daily with antihistamines, but am currently reducing the dose and am hoping I'm ok! My 'banned drug list' is enormous, though! I had an oopherectomy approximately 2 years into peri and couldn't have morphine during surgery or certain anaesthetic drugs.

Sending you hugs - this is all rather scarey isn't it? xxxxx

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »

I have the right sided numb face thing , first thing that came .

Worse when tired / cold / stressed so most of the time.🤣

Also worth a mention hubby had the urticaria thing almost identical to you , turned out to be B12 deficiency.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop so the body dries inside and out  >:( : skin, vagina, deep in the ears, nostrils, eyes ........

Any sensitivity should be treated with respect. 

samweller161

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »

Hi there, I get some red and scaly patches around my mouth - not overly noticeable and often can get covered by make up - peri for just over 2 years now.  E45 cream is quite good  :)

Sp x

LAL34

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 12:20:27 PM »

Hi
I too have had the hives and itchy patches particularly round my nose and round my chin, I am 47 and have been peri for 4/5 years, I had these skin problems for a couple of years until I realised they were hormonal, if I am honest I have struggled to get rid of them and realised by tracking my symptoms and cycle how linked to my periods they were. I have also become very allergic since going into peri and in particular a very serious allergy to insect and mosquito bites.  I was on Elleste Duet for a couple of years which mad no difference to the skin problems. It was not until going into peri that I realised the power of Hormones!!
I am not much help I am afraid but it is nice to know that you are not alone and not going mad sometimes!
Take Care

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 12:25:02 PM »

:thankyou:

DawnRaven

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »

Hi, new to the forum and joined as I wanted to see if my symptoms of becoming hyper sensitive to chlorine even in tap water was something other women have experienced in peri menopause.
I had a patch test some years ago and it revealed I had allergies to a lot of things, but recently my skin is unbearable and after having a conversation with my husband about chlorine in swimming pools and having to give it up due to redness and some dryness. I have avoided the water supply in my home (as much as possible) and have some redness still but am not in constant pain and my skin isnt as dry either. I can't use antihistamine as it drives my skin crazy and came across vitamin c as a natural antihistamine and I am trying this at the moment to see if it makes any kind of difference.

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »

My skin reacted to loads of things during the allergy test too, including water.  I'm fine showering but the minute I sit in a bath of water I'm itching like crazy x