Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie to the forum  (Read 2149 times)

Dozybird

Newbie to the forum
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:46:57 PM »

Hi,
I've been suffering for a good year with hot flushes, night sweats, mood changes and bad knees before finding MM. I'm still suffering in silence and would love to know where to start.
Periods are now 2-4 months apart, I was 50 last year and am struggling with hot flushes at work which make me strip off, followed by shivers. Same at night. Duvet on, duvet off and songs on repeat in my head every time I turn over which wake me up.
*sigh* can anyone relate?
Not been to docs yet and was worried about taking HRT but read some threads and thinking it might be the way forward.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated

Hurdity

Re: Newbie to the forum
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 10:46:40 PM »

Hi Dozybird

:welcomemm:

Sounds very familiar - I was in the same position in my early-mid 50's but once I started HRT I never looked back! It was the flushes at work and the flinging clothers on and off, as well as suffering through lack of sleep that led me to seek treatment. Unless you are medically not advised to take HRT ( there are very few contra-indications) http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contraindications.php then do not worry about it - benefits exceed risks overall up to age 60.

You will find lots of information on this website and help and advice from the forum.

Do ask anything you like :)

Hurdity x

samweller161

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »

Hi and welcome

It sounds like HRT could definitely be the way forward for you so please discuss with your GP.  I have purchased a "chillow" ie, a cold pillow gel thing which slips in the pillow case and this has helped me sleep better (can totally relate to duvet on, duvet off etc) and don't get me started on the "ear worm" regarding song lyrics - every flipping morning near enough!  Although I had never realised that could be a menopausal symptom until I read your post - I assumed it was just me ...

Hurdity is quite right, the majority of women can take HRT safely but docs are not clued up enough unfortunately - print things off this website and go armed with knowledge to fight your corner  :D

SP x

ancient runner

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »

Great user name! I thought the earworm songs on repeat was just me!

samweller161

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »

Ancient Runner, my brain seems to like Bruno Mars just at the moment - have no idea why and didn't even realise I knew (m)any of his lyrics!  :P

ancient runner

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 02:49:10 PM »

Yes. Bruno Mars is a common one to get stuck in my head - but weirdly, I can't get shot of that Peter Skellern song You're A Lady after reading he'd died last week. Hadn't thought of it in years but it is rather lovely.

DawnRaven

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 02:57:29 PM »

Hi, I wanted to join to see if I could find some help with all the stuff my body is going through. I have felt really miserable with myself over the past few years never feeling 'well' , I thought I was being paranoid and losing my mind. Doctors have been very little help. I'm so glad to be accepted to this forum and reading everyone else's experiences and find that I'm not alone

Menomale

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »

Hello DawnRaven (great username)!

Welcome! You're definetely not alone... here you'll find a lot of tips and first-hand experiences that wil help you to decide whether and when you need HRT or other alternative treatments, but do get an appointment with docs after you gather useful info here and discuss it with them!

Good luck!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 06:02:56 PM »

Hi DawnRaven

:welcomemm:

You will find plenty of help and support here!

Also you might want to start a new thread in this section so that regulars will spot a new username and then post a welcome to you as your post may get lost on someone else's thread? Perhaps tell us something about yourself, how old you are, where in menopause and anything you might like us to help you with :)

Hurdity x

samweller161

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »

Hi Dawnraven, yes start a new thread under New Members so you don't get lost

Sp x

Dozybird

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »

Thank you for all of my replies, what a lovely welcome. I shall book a GP visit and look into HRT
Can't see where to reply singularly to replies yet, I need to familiarise myself with the site, but thank you.