Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Does HRT actually help with emotional stuff, moods?  (Read 1646 times)

Noheroicsplease

Does HRT actually help with emotional stuff, moods?
« on: September 30, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »

I read a lot here about HRT helping with flushes, sweats etc. But fewer and fewer people talk about how it helps their mood swings or their low moods.

Does it help with latter or am I chasing a rainbow? I didn't really have any physical symptoms at the point I started HRT except sleeplessness which is back.

Thanks

dazned

Re: Does HRT actually help with emotional stuff, moods?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »

Some people report that it does.
I like you never had physical symptoms just terrible anxiety,palpitations,panic attacks,low mood I never found any HRT regimes helped me unfortunately. You might be luckier hopefully. I had to draw a line in the same as I felt I'd been a human guinea pig for long enough! Life's too short. I'm now settled thankfully,touch wood,on an AD which suits me. Hoping you get sorted soon.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 09:47:45 PM »

I personally think HRT is mainly for reducing flushes and night sweats.  There is no doubt that meno, first with fluctuating hormones and then oestrogen deficiency,  ‘messes with the brain' and if your low mood and anxiety started when you hit meno and is therefore hormone related, then HRT could help.  HRT will also help mood if the flushes and lack of sleep actually caused the low mood in the first place -  sleep deprivation is a form of torture with good reason.  However, to expect HRT to solve everything is unreasonable and HRT can also bring PMT type symptoms and other side effects that could make mood worse.
I know that many women do find they need HRT with an AD/SRRI alongside, so Noheroicsplease, maybe you do need to reassess things - keep an open mind and try alternative treatments like an SRRI.
DG x

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 10:14:41 PM »

I've been on oestrogen for donkeys years but peri brought on low mood and social anxiety.  This year I was on the verge of asking for ADs but found that testosterone helped no end.  Some ladies just need the mood lifting without annoying physical symptoms so it's nice to know that there are choices of treatment

Roseneath

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »

I am tracking my mood in a diary now following advice on here.  From around day 14 for  a week I have a total mood meltdown and also my stomach/wind is bad, memory and concentration outthe window.  This is when in the past I make a GP appointmentand think  there is something terribly wrong. Then the next week it lifts, its all gone. (Happened 3 days ago). I feel nearly normal, memory fine,no tears, bowels firm again.  I would LOVE to know what hormones are going bonkers during that week and I am terrified  that one time it will never lift. When I am in that bad ' zone' I feel like I can't carry on. I have a GP appointment next week so will discuss. Have tried  HRT and not for me .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 04:52:34 PM »

I never took much notice of which hormones were causing which symptoms during my menstruating years ...... undoubtedly there is a cyclical pattern.  Maybe ask your GP?  Even though I know what might be causing my anxiety it doesn't a) stop it happening nor does it b) allow me to retake control without medication  :'( - without which  :-\