Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Fsh levels  (Read 3416 times)

Luigi

Fsh levels
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:20:48 PM »

Hi all
I was wondering if you ladies could help me with the reading of my fsh level....9.4
I have had a bit of a time of it lately, was admitted to hospital with fast heart rate and palpitations only for them to diagnose hypothyroidism. Well 6 weeks later and a scan on my neck to confirm I am no longer hypo, it has been confirmed it was subacute thyroiditis, viral??!! Although glad not to be on thyroxine and I actually feel better without it, I have now been referred to cardiology although my GP doesn't seem to be concerned.
I am! The HA has really kicked in and I know my body and I know amongst all the other symptoms I thought I was well underway in Peri , my periods have altered by becoming shorter , lighter and closer together!
Any pain I have in my chest I'm in a meltdown! I also have a hiatus hernia which at the moment is causing me havoc ( doesn't usually and I can control it with diet as opposed to taking anything) joint pain is awful as is shoulder and neck pain.
Sorry for the long post , I just want to feel well or at least know what is wrong with me!
L x

Dancinggirl

Re: Fsh levels
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »

Luigi - welcome to MM
I think that level of FSH does indicate that you are into peri - levels will fluctuate during the peri stage. A shame they didn't do oestrogen levels as well??
Palpitations, gastric issues etc can all be part of the meno as well - so you may well benefit from some low dose HRT at this stage.  Do read up all the info on this site - look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page as well.
This is a good time to really get the diet and exercise sorted - lifestyle choices can make a big difference - it sounds though you understand this, as you control your hiatus hernia through diet which is great.  Making sure you are not low  in essential nutrient is important e.g. Vitamin D, magnesium etc is important and plenty of brisk walking can really help aching joints and reduce palpitations.
We're here to support so keep posting and asking questions.  DG x

Luigi

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:41:38 PM »

Thank you Dancinggirl!
You know when you know your own body, I had a feeling I was peri.
We have a dog and I do loads of walking with him, which incidentally makes me feel so much better when I've had a good walk!
Why are the GP 's so complacent about peri and to be honest not really interested , I'm 44 and all I get is hmmm a bit young really ???  >:( my mum was all done by the time she was 40! Not that the GP will take that into account!
So do you think I will have a battle to get a low dose HRT ?
I think stress also has played a factor in my cardiac issues and after I was discharged from hospital , my period arrived, always have issues before a period gastric or palpitations or a racing heart so no doubt this is just the wonderful journey of peri!!!
L x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 04:44:51 PM »

Luigi - My mother had an early meno and I started my peri symptoms aged 34!!!! I was post meno by 42. I started HRt at 37  - I had a good GP at the time who sent me for investigations first (I was getting erratic bleeding) which showed I was peri and then she allowed me to try various HRTs.
There is lots of evidence that HRT in peri can be helpful and by starting on a low dose this should help you to ride the fluctuations better.
At your age, being oestrogen deficient can give long term health problems with heart and bones, so I would see your GP with all your symptoms and questions written down, print off stuff form this site and explain you are concerned about the long term health problems that are likely to emerge if you don't have HRT.  This may well put them on the spot and make them let you start HRT. You could also mention other health issues that arrive early with oestrogen deficiency e.g. urogenital atrophy!!! - this can be most unpleasant, as many of us who suffer with this can tell you about. Explain that your mother also had a premature meno.
I would suggest you ask for Femoston 1/10 as this type has a kinder progesterone and suits many women really well.  It is a sequential HRT so gives a regular bleed each month and after the first few months should keep things on a even balance. 
Having a dog is so great - one has to walk come rain or shine and I find it's the best way to ease my aching joints.
Do try some relaxation exercises - I find Mindful Meditation really helpful.

Keep us posted.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »

Hi Luigi

Here are the reference ranges for FSH (from GP Notebook):

•   <1-3 prepubertal
•   1-8 males
•   1-11 females; follicular and luteal phase
•   6-26 at ovulation
•   30-118 post-menopausal

Therefore one level of 9.4 does not indicate peri-menopause. That is not to say that you are not peri-menopausal because FSH levels vary and some women go through times of regular periods and then skip a few etc - showing ovaries are beginning to fail.

However if your periods are also still regular and coming closer together then this does suggest you are at the stage before the per-menopausal transition as it is medically defined ie the late reproductive stage. Hormone levels begin to go a bit awry and periods become closer together. Pms often worsens at this point - greater mood swings etc - certainly did with me - I didn't even think about menopause because of my periods!

There is info here on diagnosis:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

If you are having intermittent problems with your thyroid then this explains some of your symptoms as you have been diagnosed - and unfortunately many women seem to get thyroid problems at around the time peri-menopause starts or is near - so it can be difficult sorting out symptoms.

This would be a difficult stage to treat - HRT often does not help although sometimes it can regulate periods. However gynaecologists sometimes treat women in your position with one of the  milder versions of the CCP - there is one called QLAIRA  which is similar to HRT ( contains estradiol) and only has 2 tablet free days - which can help some women - also another called ZOELY.

At least if you sorted out your cycle in this way then any residual symptoms you would know were due to something else!

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Pressed button too soon - hence edit!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:18:34 PM by Hurdity »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 06:31:47 PM »

Hi Luigi
Hurdity is absolutely right - I was wrong.  Your FSH level isn't a sign of peri meno.  I did my post in a hurry this morning and confused this with oestrogen level - I apologise for getting this wrong.  If the FSH is high then that indicates meno. Please ignore my posts - Hurdity has given you better advice.  Dg x

Luigi

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 07:55:03 PM »

Thank you ladies!
All information is really helpful, I think I'm at the stage where my hormones are haywire!!
Sleeping is all over the place and sometimes I don't sleep and other times I'm out for the count! I always find I have a dip and I feel generally unwell the week leading up to period where I become breathless, can't get enough food down me and then there are the aches and pains!!! Ohh what joy it is to be a woman!!
Maybe I should try some supplements ( vitamins) just to give me a little lift!
I don't always feel unwell and have more good days than bad and I'm pretty active , I walk miles with the dog!
Heartburn is my symptom of the night tonight!!! :o
L x

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »

I am 50 with a FSH of 6.4 , but have dreadful vaginal atrophy.

Luigi

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 09:39:50 PM »

Just goes to show Maryjane that fsh isn't an exact science when it comes to peri! Symptoms must count for more than fsh? :-\

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 06:35:44 AM »

No it's not decided that along time ago , it's only because I go private that it got tested , so I do wonder how many untested ladies really are out there like us , my GP wasn't phased when she saw the results.

My perimeno is all vagina/bladder/skin/eyes/ mouth/ ears all the mucous membranes.

I need local oestrogen lots and one pump of oestrogel to get any sort of comfort.

I have always been very trim/ horses and my understanding is trim ladies can have a worse meno as we don't store oestrogen like those with a bit more weight.

Luigi

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 06:49:21 AM »

Maryjane I'm trim too always on the go and walk rain or shine!
This peri is awful and can make you feel just so unwell.
Do you take any vitamins? Thinking of trying some to help ease some symptoms??
L x

Maryjane

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »

I walk 4/6 miles a day regardless other wise I would have a mental breakdown.

I take gentle relapse iron as low ferritin/ vit d as very low / B12 as low.

vickypk

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »

Hi Luigi
I have been using the Evorel conti patches for about 18 months and thankfully feel fine with them.  I swim and run every day.
The years before that were a big struggle and didn't ever think I would feel well again.  What with the awful anxiety, the VA was very bad, couldn't even leave the bedroom at times.  I also had that viral thyroiditis, that took a good few months to clear up, never heard of it before.
Hope you feel better soon xx

Luigi

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 09:14:39 PM »

Hi Vickypk
I had a real shock when they told me it was viral as I had never heard of it before, I still feel I have a few symptoms but  gradually getting there and the walking helps so much!
Apparently thyroid issues are common in peri! Fsh 9.4 so not sure GP will give me anything.
Woke last night boiling and heart beating really fast but it passed , learning to live with these rubbish feelings!
Off work at moment and GP is very understanding and said I need to get myself well after thyroiditis! I suppose that's something!!
Hope to feel a bit more human soon!!!
L x