Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Nausea - what do you do?  (Read 2220 times)

2cats

Nausea - what do you do?
« on: February 19, 2017, 07:13:38 PM »

Hi all,

The nausea I'm experiencing at the moment is driving me round the bend!  It comes and goes but I can't pin it down to anything so guessing it's perimenopause..  sorry to say this but I'm also belching an awful lot too (at home!)  in response to feeling waves of nausea - charming, I know.
So what do any of you ladies do to ease nausea and wind?  Any ideas gratefully accepted!

Thanks, :)

Megamind

Re: Nausea - what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »

Hi,
I take an antihistamine which seems to help.

Menomale

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »

Once I was prescribed Ondansetron for nausea during migraine attacks. It worked immediately.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »

Stemotil, ginger biscuits, peppermint tea, dry crackers - dried fruits and nuts, Dextrose tablets.  There was hardly a day when I didn't feel really sick for years, if I had one without nausea we would put a tick on the calender  :-\

Bananas or other slow release foods once you start to feel better and eat every 3 hours! and certainly B4 you feel hungry to stop that rolling nausea.

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:05:39 PM »

It really depends on the type of nausea. If it's digestive then many of the prescription anti nausea drugs should help and maybe ginger.

If it's the more systemic travel sickness type (migraine related) then there isn't much that works. Antihistamines may do but when mine has been bad sometimes whatever I tried made it worse. Saying that, I've never tried actual migraine medications and once paracetamol unexpectedly took the edge off of it.

Hope you find something that suits you and that you are able to eat to stop any dehydration. Horrible isn't it!

Elizabethrose

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »

For migraine nausea I used to use Motilium (Domperidone) suppositories but it was discontinued in suppository form though I don't know if it is still available in tablet form. It was brilliant stuff and my vomiting was violent, and it also used to knock me out which gave me a chance to sleep through the worst of the migs.

After discontinuation I was prescribed prochlorperazine buccal tablets which you dissolve behind your bottom lip. Tastes foul and I didn't find it really helped me.

Aside from meds I would drink ginger ale, eat ginger biscuits and sometimes Rich Tea biscuits. I found I just had to nibble constantly.
Sometimes I would pop some plain popping corn and just graze on that.

I feel for you 2cats, nausea is so debilitating.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 11:02:48 PM »

I think that Motillium is available on prescription - maybe have a chat with a Pharmacist?  It certainly helped save my Life when my gut almost stopped working  :-\

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 06:20:00 AM »

Yes motillium is on prescription in U.K. I used to use it years ago (they took it off the OTC due to its risks to the heart for those with such conditions) but it made me worse when I had the migraine/ over stimulation from Oestogen nausea. As did metochlopromide, ondansetron etc. The doc said this is because they work by stimulating the brain and mine was already too stimulated.

Motillium was great for quickly emptying stomach when I had slow transit issues prior to this, although it didn't then help with the resulting constipation!

I think it's just trial and error to see what works for you.

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 06:33:49 AM »

Stemital x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »

I was only ever prescribed Motilium and initially tried it in tablet form but like Metoclopramide and other oral anti nausea drugs it made me vomit immediately. Ironic really! The suppositories bypassed the stomach and were so efficient at dealing with the vomiting and nausea. There was no public declaration when they were discontinued, they just became difficult to get hold of, then they were gone!! I later saw info indicating concerns about heart health with some older age groups.

Nausea is a curse, I used to sit on the tube nibbling crystallised ginger with a carrier bag at the ready. Very nasty, I really feel for you 2cats!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 10:38:14 AM »

I still look for bins when I'm shopping, in case  :'( because my nausea hits very quickly.  I carried a small bin in a plastic bag round Chelsea Flower Show years ago 'cos the loos were miles away  :-\

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »

Gp gave me cyclizine. My nausea is like morning sickness but all day. go refused to commit to it being hormone related...idiot!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »

Did the medication ease symptoms at all?