Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Advice please Ladies  (Read 4654 times)

anncjones

Advice please Ladies
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »

Hi Ladies some advice please
I started ELLESTE DUET CONTI in July and it was great - back sleeping and no hot flushes. Had some- nothing of note breakthrough bleeding for the first few months and nothing in December which appeared to fit with the norm but January and this month I'm now bleeding for about a week every two weeks and it's heavy and seems to start with dreadful stomach ache which I never had pre  period before (I was on the pill)
I thought after 6 months it would disappear(as per leaflet ) but it's worse
Due back to docs next month when, all being well, she was going to prescribe a year -
Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do- did they change your HRT?
I really can't be doing with this but definitely not going back to not sleeping
I mourn for my contraceptive pill when I was in control

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice please Ladies
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »

:welcomemm:

I expect someone will be along with advice.  Maybe ring your Surgery or speak to a Pharmacist for advice otherwise?

There is a search button, if you put the medication into it you will see relative threads.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:57:52 PM »

Hi and welcom to MM anncjones
Do tell us more about yourself - your age? when was your last natural period?
Conti HRt can give problems with bleeding but there are other options.  Do browse around and get clued up. Look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page and get back to us with questions.
It's trial and error with HRT - there will be something that works for you. 
Possibly have a Mirena fitted and use oestrogen separately as gel or patch? This will often be the most hassle free option and usually results in fewer problems with bleeding.  DG x

anncjones

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »

Hi thanks for the replies
Ok I'm probably being thick but can't find the treatment tab? I have put HRT into the search and found some previous threads but not really answered what I was looking for
I'm 53 no idea when last natural period was as I stayed on combined contraceptive pill until last May so sailed through peri then bam into post -no sleep, hot flushes and the conti sorted all that within a few weeks and here we are today

anncjones

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »

Doh
Thanks ladies will have a look😔
At least Hasty we side stepped peri😄

Nickyp

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »

Hi there. I am 52 and hadn't had a period for at least two years. I started on the elleste duet conti just over a year ago. Everything wa seemed to be going ok, a bit of spotting but as that was during the first six months didn't worry too much. That stopped and then just after the year I started spotting again. I was advised by the doctor to stop the hrt and see what happens as this was the likely cause of the spotting. I stopped just over 2 weeks ago, the spotting got slightly more, then stopped completely. Since then fingers crossed, no bleeding and so far no horrible symptoms have returned...although that's early days.

Parkland49

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:25:27 PM »

Hi
I have also been on Everol sequi patches which stopped all my hot flushes and other symptoms. However when I went for a routine checkup I was told to stop using them as they wanted to check one of my blood tests. I have since been diagnosed with an under active thyroid. I was then told that I needed the conti patches, not sequi, as my periods had stopped. I mentioned that they had only stopped for six months but was reassured that at the age of 55 conti would be best.
After using them for about 4 months I was having incredibly heavy periods every two weeks so went back and saw a different GP who was lovely. She said that I should not have been given conti patches and that I had to go 'cold turkey' for six weeks and then start again. I am now into my fifth week and the night sweats are stopping me from sleeping. I am due to go back in two weeks but unfortunately the doctor I saw will have started her maternity leave. Has anyone any idea which patches I should have?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 10:13:38 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Parkland49
Oh dear!!! Another GP who doesn't know about the menopause and HRT :bang: :bang: :bang:
You need to be on a sequential HRT.  DG x

anncjones

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 06:28:18 PM »

Hi ladies
Update - went back to GP today told her about the bleeding and she has referred me for an ultrasound scan. I got a prescription for another 3 months of Elleste Duet Conti (said I didn't want 12 months until bleeding sorted) She (unlike other doctor) was not happy that I'd had any bleeding although leaflet does list it as a contra indication in the first 6 months- I've been on it since July

Anyone else been referred for a scan due to breakthrough bleeding?

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 08:33:16 PM »

Hi anncjones

Good that your doctor is investigating your bleeding - as this is what is supposed to happen if it continues after 6 months in post-menopausal women. In some women though it takes longer - and especially if you are not yet post-menopause. Hopefully this will be ascertained too?

It may well be that a different preparation will eventually be better for you - maybe a cyclical HRT when the bleeding would be predictable, or possibly a stronger progestogen like the Mirena coil which acts locally, and you would take an oestrogen dose that suited you?

Hurdity x

anncjones

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 05:03:47 PM »

Hi Ladies
Update is I had a scan on my womb and I'm told all is well - I'm still on the same HRT Estelle Duet Conti and still having breakthrough bleedingg. Doc took some swabs on Friday and is going to refer me to gynaecologist?
Is it ok to still be having irregular bleeding though? Been on this since July last year

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 08:02:23 AM »

I believe irregular bleeding and spotting are quite common on ant conti HRT.
If all was fine at the scan then I wouldn't worry.
The gynaecologist may suggest having a Mirena fitted and then use oestrogen as pills, patch or gel alongside as this is usually good to keep Problematic bleeding under control with fewer progesterone side effects.
Look this up on this site under PROGESTERONES under the Treatments section. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »

Hi again anncjones

If you only had a couple of months between finishing the pill and starting the conti HRT (Elleste Duet) you don't know that you were definitely post-menopause. If you are not then as well as the usual spotting and bleeding many women experience with conti HRT at first - your own cycle could still break through occasionally. However 80% of women have reached menopause by age 54.

What dose are you taking? The 2 mg dose cold be more likely to cause breakthrough bleeding. It is good to be investigated as you are being - to exclude pathological explanations  and problems eg fibroids etc. Once you have been given the all clear then time to consider changing HRT and perhaps a Mirena as Dancinggirl suggests? Do you get told what the thickness of your lining was?

Do keep us updated.... :)

Hurdity x

anncjones

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »

Hi yes it is the 2mg dose. I had a FSH test and even though the pill would still had been in my body it was very high (can't remember how high) but that coupled with my age made the GP feel I was post memo. Last Friday GP said thickness was 4 which she said was fine- Mr Google seemed to back this up?  I'm going in on a Friday now probably for a biopsy, gyne called this afternoon. I've just been getting info together and the bleed/breaks are all over the place some breaks as long as 64 days and some as short a 7!
Thank you