Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Weaning off HRT  (Read 2609 times)

silverstream

Weaning off HRT
« on: February 16, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »

Hi ladies, I'm new here. I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please? What happens if I were to lessen the doseage of my Conti continous patch? I've been on it for quite a few years and I feel I would like to reduce the dose and see if it suits me.  Has anyone done this and if so what side effects were there?

Salad

Re: Weaning off HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 12:26:53 AM »

Hi  :)

Maybe try snipping a bit off your patch and see how things go. My understanding would be to reduce the dose very slowly - have you chatted with your GP?

silverstream

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 01:01:38 AM »

Hi, Yes my Doctor knows. Does weaning off very slowly cause any spotting problems?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »

There is no evidence that slowly weaning off HRT is any better than going cold turkey - I've done both and there was no difference.  Perhaps try cutting the patches in half for 2-6 weeks could be an option.  It can be a good idea to have a break to see if you can cope - you maybe fine. Why come off HRT at all if you feel good and have no health issues that mean you need to be off HRT?????
You may get some erratic bleeding an spotting.
DG x

Nickyp

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »

I stopped my conti hrt because of spotting on the advise of my doctor. Just went cold turkey. So far so good, although it's only been two weeks so early days. Had a few headaches this week but that could be down to half term holidays!! Good luck

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »

Hi silverstream

:welcomemm:

I agree - that it's OK to snip bits off because you are reducing the progestogen at the same time as the oestrogen - but increasing it again later may cause spotting (someone reported this recently on here).

Also I agree I wondered why you want to reduce - you haven't said how old you are and how long on HRT?

Hurdity x

silverstream

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »

Thank you for your helpful replies. I am 62 and have been on HRT for 10 yrs. My breasts are quite painful and I have put on weight, so my Doctor has suggested I cut down and see if it helps. I can only try and see what happens.

NickP please let me know how you go?

Tempest

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »

Actually, there is evidence that weaning is better if your preparation is medium to high dose here on the Menopause Matters information pages:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/stopping.php

I hope this helps whatever you decide, Silverstream. xxxxx

silverstream

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 02:29:12 PM »

Thanks for the info Tempest!