Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Itching  (Read 1783 times)

Fgreg24

Itching
« on: February 16, 2017, 02:02:20 AM »

Hi all.
Can I ask a question please.
When all my problems started about 8 months ago my skin became very sore. Even the shower water hurt on my skin and I itched constantly so much so I would make myself bleed scratching. After going to the Dr he put me on a course of steroids as we thought it was an elergic reaction and no creams or pills seemed to work. After that it calmed down.
I should mention I have never suffered with skin problems. Always had very good skin.
Recently it has started again. It's driving me mad.
It seems to have raised its head along with severe menopause symptoms.
I've started HRT but a low dose. My menopause symptoms are easing greatly but the itching is terrible.
Could the itching be related to the menopause.
Thanks

Cecelia

Re: Itching
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:11:06 AM »

Yes I believe it is a symptom of menopause. I too suffer with severe itching specially my arms and back. I'm covered in scabs across my shoulders, tbh I'm dreading summer and the return to short sleeves. I'm also suffering with hair loss, aching joints, weight gain...

I do find mm a great source of information and comfort knowing there are others suffering with similar symptoms. Maybe one of the most knowledgeable ladies on here will be along soon to maybe explain in more detail. You certainly have my sympathy :(

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:17:35 AM »

Yes it is a meno symptom, however it would be wise to get your liver checked with blood tests as an unhappy liver can also cause itching.

Have you tried a non drowsy antihistamine?

valb

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »

Ive just joined but have been menapausal since my early 40s. I'm 54 now and still going through the great change! My GP has reccemended antihystermines. Non drousy for day and a normal one at night. He also suggested I should cut out my antidepressants, but no chance of that. I found I started itching only 3  months ago when I changed from Climates to Eleste duet. Might be cooinsidence but I would be interested if anyone else with long term Menapause has experienced side effects of Eleste duet? Break through bleeding, itching, etc. Not having had a period for 10 years it's a little disconcerting!

nearly50

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »

Piritin helps but takes about a week to kick in. Think is is fairly common. I am really itchy this week - my back and feet and the worst!

Off topic but I hope tonight's BBC Scotland show talks about some of the less well known symptoms and doesn't only focus on flushes.