Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Result of changing site of Estradot...and my cat and testosterone gel...  (Read 5114 times)

matildamouse

I recently changed the site of my Estradot 50mcg patch from my lower abdomen to my buttock as the plan is to introduce testosterone gel which I want to put above my pubic line (as advised by my GP). I had a slow but steady increase in hot flushes and night sweats, so decided to change back to abdomen. Since then I had a slow but steady decrease of flushes and sweats...anybody else experienced that site of patch making such a difference?

I now plan to keep my Estradot on the left side of my abdomen starting far left till my midline(about 4 patches) and then starting far left again. I will then put the testosterone gel on my right lower abdomen above the pubic line. I am quite hairy as it is, thus do not want to put it on my thighs. As I have a cat I have to be very careful where I apply the testosterone gel as she nearly died when I was on estrogel which I applied on my arms (as per instructions) and she was unknowingly exposed to that. Could have been via the linen as well as she sleep with us on the bed. To protect my cat, I gather above the pubic line will be the safest...

Any opinions or advice on this plan ladies will be helpful thanks.

Salad

Re: Result of changing site of Estradot...and my cat and testosterone gel...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »

I will watch this thread with interest.  :)
I've always applied my patch to the top part of my buttock - I've not had great control for last two to three months and realised it was worse when applied to right side  :o

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »

There is conflicting information on this! The main thing is that you need to stick to one particular site ( but not stick it to exactly the same bit of skin each time) which means you will be getting consistent absorption.

Someone posted on here (can't remember who) that a study showed increased absorption on butt than front abdomen. However Intrinsa patches ( the discontinued testosterone patches) showed inc absorption on abdomen! I suspect that studies are small so not sure what the definitive answer is - except that it is likely to vary because of differences in thickness of skin, muscle etc.

I have only ever put Estradot on my butt cheeks and the dose is fine. Last year I think I tried putting them on my front abdomen as someone else said absorption was higher on here but my baby skin is too thin and floppy and thin and also the patches got in the way of waistbands etc and was more visible!

Re the testosterone. I started putting mine on top inner thigh (gynae advised inner thigh) - but because it is transported laterally as well as through the skin - I did feel the effects in my nether regions and was worried about unwanted effects - since there is obviously a concentration gradient. I noticed for example the hairs on my thighs growing at a considerable distance from the application site - but not elsewhere on my body it localised androgenic effects.

I wouldn't want to put it close to my pubic area personally - because I don't think enough research has been done on this - if any ( apart from the Intrinsa studies).  Therefore I now apply to low inner thigh close almost to the knee and I am hoping the hairs will gradually disappear from my thighs!!!

Not sure about transfer to cat from T on inner knee? Doubtful I would suggest and I think oestrogen is more of an issue as we apply more of it! However maybe you have to think about that too?

Salad I just slap it on anywhere on butt cheek and especially when I forget to remove the black marks - just have to find somewhere new! A slight alteration in position shouldn't make that much difference where on butt you apply it -  as the skin is probably more or less the same.

Hurdity x

peri

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »

Matildamouse I have found exactly the same as you.  When I've tried patches on my butt nothing gets through (don't know what that says about my backside - it's not that big honest!) but absorption is fine on my abdomen.  I just make sure I change site slightly each time x
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:58:33 PM by peri »

matildamouse

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 01:14:38 AM »

Thanks ladies, very informative.
The space between my patches is about 1,5 cm...do you ladies think it is enough to ensure proper absorption??

Salad

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »

Thanks Hurdity

I've literally just changed from Femseven 100 to Estradot 100 - so I've put it on to my tummy as instructed - let's wait and see  :)

Amazed at the huge difference in patch size!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »

The space between my patches is about 1,5 cm...do you ladies think it is enough to ensure proper absorption??

I'm not sure what you mean - the space is immaterial  :-\

The only reason the instructions says to change the site is to reduce the chance of irritation and nothing to do with absorption as far as I remember from what I've read! Once you've had a few days on another site you could go back to the first site perfectly OK ie you can alternate them. Because Estradot are so small mine do go on different sites but then I alternate butt cheeks anyway.

Hurdity x

Dana

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 07:23:11 PM »

I've only ever put my estradot patch just slightly behind my hip. I don't put it on my butt because I can't turn far enough to see what I'm doing, and when I tried my abdomen I found the patch creased more.

I alternate left and right sides and haven't had any problems with this routine. I also don't have any problems with the black marks as I find they naturally wash off after a couple of showers. I also only change my patch once a week.

matildamouse

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 04:34:56 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean - the space is immaterial  :-\

The only reason the instructions says to change the site is to reduce the chance of irritation and nothing to do with absorption as far as I remember from what I've read! Once you've had a few days on another site you could go back to the first site perfectly OK ie you can alternate them. Because Estradot are so small mine do go on different sites but then I alternate butt cheeks anyway.

Hurdity x

What I meant, is wondering whether the patches I put on my left lower abdomen has about 1.5cm of space between them as I start from near my hip far left and then end near my mid lower abdomen before I start far left again. My question was about the effect on the skin re absorption but I gather from other answers that it wont really matter as long as it is not on exactly the same spot when you apply the next one?

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 12:44:14 PM »

Hi again matildamouse

I did read (but can't find it now!) that the only reason to change the application site of patches was to minimise irritation rather than for any reason connected with absorption so you're fine with what you're doing! :)

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 08:22:29 AM »

I know this is an old thread but there is discussion about the placing of Estradot patches so I'm just posting some info I found as there have been questions about it:

This is the product release info:

"Administration
Patch Application
The physician should discuss the most appropriate placement of the patch with the patient. Immediately after removal of a patch from the pouch and removal of the protective liner, the adhesive side of the ESTRADOT® patch should be placed on a clean, dry area of intact skin. The area selected should not be oily, damaged or irritated, and not exposed to the sun. The site selected should also be one at which little wrinkling of the skin occurs during movement of the body, preferably the buttocks, lower abdomen or hip. The patch may also be placed on the side or lower back. The patch should be placed consistently on the same area of the body with each application (i.e., either the buttocks, lower abdomen, hip, side or lower back). Experience to date has shown that less irritation of the skin occurs on the buttocks than on other sites of application. Therefore, it is advisable to apply ESTRADOT® to the buttocks. The waistline should be avoided, since tight clothing may dislodge the patch. The patch should be pressed firmly in place with the palm of the hand, making sure there is good contact, especially around the edges. In the event that a patch should fall off, it can be reapplied. If it fails to adhere then a new patch may be applied. In either case, the original treatment schedule should be continued. Patches should not be applied to the same skin site twice in succession.

ESTRADOT® must not never be applied to, or near, the breasts to avoid potentially harmful effects on the breast tissue."

So - they discuss irritation, likelihood of dislodging the patch, and condition of skin - rather than absorption per se. I think it's important to find a site that works for these first and then if absorption is insufficient (but no skin irritation, it stays on etc) then a higher dose would be appropriate rather than changing to somewhere it might come unstuck, or the skin is wrinkly, or might irritate more or come into contact with rubbing of clothes.

The product info on Estradot specifies "lower abdomen below the waistline" but by this I read as anywhere on the trunk below the waist back front or side, rather than just the front.

Haven't time to look for any more info atm ...

Hurdity x

Wrensong

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 08:32:39 AM »

The site selected should also be one at which little wrinkling of the skin occurs during movement of the body, preferably the buttocks, lower abdomen or hip. The patch may also be placed on the side or lower back.

Thank you Hurdity  :)  I am away on hols & have to rush out so have no time to check the current Estradot leaflet but could not find any ref to butt as an appropriate site for application when I resumed HRT use on this product a few weeks ago. Does this mean the PIL has changed as the butt is not specified as appropriate on my current PIL or did I miss this section?!  Or does the product release info simply differ from the PIL?

Wx

Later: I have googled & cannot turn up the extract you quoted Hurdity & have since checked my Estradot PIL & again cannot find any statement including buttocks as appropriate for Estradot.  However, as stated on the other thread (where I posted the link to the study that found better absorption from the buttock area) I am currently applying my Estradot patches to the butt to see whether this improves symptoms in my case!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:08:40 PM by Wrensong »

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 09:21:32 AM »

I used to put testosterone on the front of my thigh (inner thigh used for gel) but it got hairy. Now I put in on the soles of my feet. It seems to work just as well there and obviously no problem with hair growth. Unless you're a hobbit  ::)

Wrensong

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 04:05:27 PM »

Sheila - how interesting!  Thanks for that.  I have been prescribed T but need to defer starting, so will bear in mind your experience when the time comes.  Furry feet, if they develop, will save me doubling up on socks come Winter!  Win win.   :D