Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Getting quotes  (Read 6185 times)

bramble

Getting quotes
« on: February 11, 2017, 05:25:24 PM »

I am getting quite a bit of work done in the house at the moment - 3 seperate jobs with 3 quotes for each.
Am I wrong in giving extra marks to the tradesmen that come to quote who make a fuss of my cats and whom I like on first meeting? Or should I be a bit more professional about this and decide on the money angle only?

How do you decide which quote to go for?

Bramble

littleminnie

Re: Getting quotes
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:17:59 PM »

Word of Mouth and reviews.

bramble

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:36:44 PM »

And take no notice of whether  I like them or not? I am sure their standard of work is on the same level. But should my personal feelings play a part?

Bramble

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:39:04 PM »

bramble - do ask to speak with people who have had work done by these workman - beware of the charmers - you need to get some good recommendations.  I do think it's worth using someone you like but reliability, quality of the work and also time scale are all crucial - sadly too many builders, plumbers, electricians etc. take on too many jobs at once and then take ages to finish your work. I personally always choose someone who will arrive on the date they say they will start and stay with your job until the job is finished - not disappear for days or even weeks to do other jobs.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »

Go along and see what is being done in your area?  Chat to the builders to see if they are local and how much work they have done in your area. ...... ask in the village shop? 

I've known our 'jobbing' builder since 1984 who comes in, looks at 'the job' then says yes; he'll the turn up without much warning  ::) fitting us in between other jobs but he does good work, tidies up after him and isn't expensive: but it's been harder finding an electrician.  No one seems to want 'small jobs'! There's another builder in the village who is apparently very good but I don't like his attitude so couldn't have him in the house  ::)

OK if they like your pets but this is about business.  Get a written quote (which is legally binding) and not an estimate (which isn't). 

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:45 PM »

Don't accept people who turn up on your doorstep.  Many times I've asked for a business card and land-line to be told 'we don't have that Madam' so my reply is always "I don't want you here then".  If a trader won't have a land-line then they don't get my business!  Because they probably don't have an address that they stay at for long so if works isn't done to standard, then they can't be taken to Court.

Remember too, that many jobs now need a certificate in order to prove that it has been done legally and will be required when the property is sold.  Electricians and gas people have to be CORGI registered.  Builders HAVE TO put up scaffolding under H&S 200?? if they are working above ground (but our aerial man doesn't  ::) )  If H&S find a builder working without scaffolding he will be removed immediately from the job and taken to Court! 

How long have you lived in the area, ask around?

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »

Check website reviews, that's what I go by.

bramble

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 11:55:00 PM »

Girls, you have got me all wrong. I am not asking for advice on how to tell a good workman from a bad. I am perfectly capable of getting reliable, honest workmen! I've done this loads of time before - all my life in fact!

What I am asking is - when I have 3 workmen who have passed all the tests etc, and their quotes are sensible, do I let my own personal feelings (and by this I mean - does he respect my house, does he like cats, is he easy to talk to and understand what I'm aiming for, most importantly, does he treat me as a customer and not a woman etc etc) get in the way of awarding the job or do I go for the one who in 50 quid or a hundred quid cheaper? I know I would go for the one I was most comfortable with if the difference was only a hundred quid or so BUT would you? Or do you let your husband deal with all this?

Another way of saying it is - how much is it worth to you to use a workman that ticks all the above questions? His tradesman abilities are not in question..........
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:59:19 PM by bramble »

Menomale

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 12:16:24 AM »

I would go with the one I feel more comfortable with even if he was a bit more expensive. After all it's my house, my pets, my husband (no order intended  ;D), they deserve the best.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »

Sorry if we misunderstood you bramble.  Go with your gut - if they are all good then it's always better to go for the one you get on with best. DG x

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »

Absolutely, I will not have a workman in my house, in close proximity for maybe several days, unlesss I feel 100% comfortable and safe with him around.

We had a brilliant carpenter, even to this day I will say the work he did for us was lovely, but oh he was a horror - creepy little sexist chauvinist.  In the end I would not have him in the house unless my husband was here.

Most workmen like my little dog, you can't fail to as he always wants to 'help'.  We tend to keep to the same electrician, heating company, builders and plumber but we do need a new carpenter  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »

Don't think that you were mis-understood  :-\

littleminnie

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 05:12:00 PM »

If all 3 are equally good then you would obviously go with the one you are most comfortable with.

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »

Girls, you have got me all wrong. I am not asking for advice on how to tell a good workman from a bad. I am perfectly capable of getting reliable, honest workmen! I've done this loads of time before - all my life in fact!

What I am asking is - when I have 3 workmen who have passed all the tests etc, and their quotes are sensible, do I let my own personal feelings (and by this I mean - does he respect my house, does he like cats, is he easy to talk to and understand what I'm aiming for, most importantly, does he treat me as a customer and not a woman etc etc) get in the way of awarding the job or do I go for the one who in 50 quid or a hundred quid cheaper? I know I would go for the one I was most comfortable with if the difference was only a hundred quid or so BUT would you? Or do you let your husband deal with all this?

Another way of saying it is - how much is it worth to you to use a workman that ticks all the above questions? His tradesman abilities are not in question..........
  Gut feeling is important to me. I found a really helpful guy back in 2012. I was planning my new kitchen. I noticed him on MSE forum where he was making very helpful advice on various things. I looked up his firm's website and liked the look of it. The factor which got him my job was that he was willing to visit me (travel from Essex to East London) and spend a couple of hours when I actually just wanted a rough estimate to see whether I needed to save a lot more. He got that job with me and has since done other jobs. I have also recommended him to others.