Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Just started Femoston 1/10 - advice please  (Read 4395 times)

floridamad

Just started Femoston 1/10 - advice please
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:09:24 AM »

Hi there,  I am in my third packet of femoston1/10.  Before starting it just before christmas, I was having hot flushes, especially at night and was getting badly disturbed sleep - you know the cycle!!  I was having a period every 4 months or so, though had gone twice for 6 months without one (over a 2 year period).

However since starting Femoston, the hot flushes are non existent - great!  I am sleeping so much better - fantastic! BUT I am now having a regular monthly period (on my second one at the moment) and they are awful - very heavy and painful. We are talking tampons and night time pads during the day (needing to keep very close to the toilets)  and changing protection every 1-2 hours.  Night time is awful.

Anyone else have this????
Thanks guys x

Dollydream

Re: Just started Femoston 1/10 - advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »

Hi floridamad

Exactly the same for me on Femoston 1/10, the periods were horrendous, it would take a week out of the month putting up with them and when you've gone without periods, it's really not something you want to return to.  My main problem like you were hot flushes and although Femoston addressed this issue, I couldn't stand the awful periods so now I'm on the mirena coil and oestrogen gel which is working brilliantly for me (initial bleeding, then spotting and now period free).  I've heard that for some on Femoston, periods get lighter with continued use, so this might be the case for you - maybe discuss with your GP at your review. 

DollyD xx

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »

Hi floridamad

:welcomemm:

Because you are not yet post-menopausal you have been given a cyclical HRT preparation which is designed to cause a monthly bleed - because the oestrogen stimulates the womb lining in the same way as in normal periods.

One reason why your periods may be heavier is because you have been several months without a bleed several times. In peri-menopause you can have what are known as anovulatory cycles - the follicles start to develop and produce some oestrogen - but they become weak and do not respond to the usual hormones so one follicle does not become dominant and ripen - therefore no ovulation. If this happens for a few cycles - then the womb lining can build up. When it gets too thick it can randomly bleed by itself (anovulatory bleed) - but sometimes doesn't. When you then introduce progestogens as part of the HRT - this will cause any built up lining to come away as well as  the newly built up lining from the added oestrogen from the HRT. Depending on how thick the lining is it could happen over several months and then you may notice the bleeds becoming much less.

There is an article which explains it better than I can: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

The other things is you could have a fibroid (or two) or polyp - which can also be stimulated by oestrogen hence causing a heavier bleed.

As Dollydream says - if it is bothering you a Mirena coil will sort out the bleeds - but if you can, you might want to wait another couple of months?

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 07:58:22 PM »

floridamad - I agree with the others - the Mirena could be a good way to go.  DG x

floridamad

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »

Thanks ladies.  I have been to my 3 monthly review and the nurse said I should stick with it for at least another 3 months and also suggested the coil to help and maybe stop the bleed.  I have however had one of these a couple of years ago but after 8 months... it popped out when I was having a bath???

Think I will give it a couple of months as the nurse suggested.

Thank you Hurdity for your in depth advice too - WOW! You have this covered  :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 03:46:21 PM »

I find taking ibuprofen over the first couple of days helps.