Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Just started Vagifem - problems  (Read 2213 times)

Teresa667

Just started Vagifem - problems
« on: March 01, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »

I have been on a zodalex injection and Tibolone HRT tablet for the last three months and I feel like a new woman. Some slight side effects but generally I feel so much better emotionally. This week I started 10mg of vagifem pessarys for dryness down below. I think I am having side effects breast tenderness and this morning horrendous period and lower back pains. I've only taken 3 pessarys but I'm not feeling as good as I did. Hasn't helped that I've had a slight UTI this week which has made me feel a bit dizzy and sick. I was told to use the pessary every day for two weeks then twice a week. Just wondered if anyone had tried using Vagifem pessarys straight off at twice a week as I'm wondering if everyday is too much for my body.  Any advice greatly appreciated.  ;)

dahliagirl

Re: Just started Vagifem - problems
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 04:23:30 PM »

I started taking them I had a lot of infection-like symptoms (dry/wet, itching, swelling).  Because I was given no instructions and you only get 24 in the box, I didn't do the full start-up and I sort of got a hint that it might work, but I kept getting thrush symptoms back.  So I went back and saw a doctor who said it was only a tiny amount of oestrogen and to go back to the beginning and start again.  And yippee  :ola: it did. 

My prescription said 'Use one or two twice weekly' so I tried every other day and now use it 3x per week (any attempt to use less ends in disaster).

I understand that it may be absorbed more at the beginning when your tissues are thin, but once you have done the 2 weeks, your tissues will be plumped up and you absorb the equivalent of one regular hrt tablet per year.

Teresa667

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »

Hi dahliagirl thankyou for your reply. Because I've been doing so well with the HRT plan the Vagifem has felt like a massive step backwards. I might see if I can get away with taking it every 2 days for 2 weeks and then twice a week as recommended. I suppose my worry is that it's not suited to me and it's taken me 6 months to get my HRT plan sorted and working. I've only just gone back to work after 6 months off.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »

I think it is important to use it daily at first to get the tissues well plumped up as soon as you can and this will stop the absorption.

Is it possible that you are having a bit of a hormonal blip that you may have had anyway?  I know that when I started vagifem it appeared my periods were getting more frequent and heavier.  I kept a chart/symptom diary at that time, and when I look back, it was not so - it was just the impression I felt at the time.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:17:32 PM »

Teresa667 - you should keep a note of the bleeding if it is a period. This is nothing to do with the Vagifem but a side effect of the Tibolone where breakthrough bleeding is common during the first few months - according to the leaflet. However it can cause thickened womb lining so if it continues or happens again as time progresses, or if you are concerned now - then have a word with your doctor. Do keep up with the Vagifem though as advised by the others :)

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 08:30:01 PM »

My son's girlfriend is on Zoladex and has had to stop her HRT due to breakthrough bleeding. It was around three months before the first bleed happened. She is obviously upset at having no HRT at a young age.

I agree with Hurdity that it is more likely to be a side effect of Tibolone rather than the Vagifem.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 09:02:07 PM »

UTI may well be vagainal atrophy?  try to continue with the pessaries and maybe use a moistoriser in the lips to keep everything moist.