Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Royal Mail  (Read 5659 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Royal Mail
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:35:07 AM »

For the last few months when ever I post a package/parcel I am asked what it contains  :-\ - but the Staff can't tell me why they need to ask nor how to recognise a suspect reply  ::)

Any sharp answers girls?  I could tell them "Mum's washing" last week which was true but I'm running out of ideas   :-\

katsclaws

Re: Royal Mail
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »

I think it's because you are no longer allowed to include batteries with an item. 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »

Why don't the Staff know that  ::)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »

I jump in ahead of them .... I post quite a lot of stuff as I sell on EBay. I hand my parcel over and say "nothing hazardous inside." 

Last year I sold a heart shaped potato .... YEs really! ..... for £12 on eBay for Valentines Day.  ;D she asked me what was in the parcel and the devil in me answered "an ornament." I just didn't feel like telling her it was a potato!  ;D. Just shows it's pretty pointless asking.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »

;D

Did the recipient appreciate the potato? (I hate it when Bradley Walsh mutters 'potato' at the end of that programme  >:( )

Scampi

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 03:51:52 PM »

It's combination of restrictions on what you can send where, and the value of the parcel (normal postage includes little, if any, insurance - if your parcel has some value, enhanced services are better suited).

katsclaws

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »

I find Special Delivery weights a nuisance. If the item weighs under 2 kg it's £11.00. If it weighs between 2kg and 10kg it is £27.00. We send an item once a year for calibration. It weighs just a few grams over 2kg. I have stood in the post office in previous years ripping off cardboard flaps to get it under 2kg. Thankfully we now have to remove batteries so when I posted it yesterday it was easily under 2kg.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 04:35:01 PM »

;D

Did the recipient appreciate the potato? (I hate it when Bradley Walsh mutters 'potato' at the end of that programme  >:( )

Yes!  She sent me a lovely message to say she was so thrilled with it because she had been married 13 years and every single year she had cooked  her hubby a heart shaped jacket spud (his favourite) on Valentines Day.  She panicked a bit because it was getting close to Valentines and she hadn't sourced one.

I only put it on for a joke when I found it in my spud sack. It was big and such a beautiful heart shape. It was really excitingly watching people bid on it.  My friend said £12 for one potato .... she must be mad!!"

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »

I find Special Delivery weights a nuisance. If the item weighs under 2 kg it's £11.00. If it weighs between 2kg and 10kg it is £27.00. We send an item once a year for calibration. It weighs just a few grams over 2kg. I have stood in the post office in previous years ripping off cardboard flaps to get it under 2kg. Thankfully we now have to remove batteries so when I posted it yesterday it was easily under 2kg.

My son sold something on eBay the other day and got a shock when it was weighed and they wanted about fifteen quid.  I told him to send it by Collect Plus and that was just over six quid. I have used them many times for all sorts of stuff and had great service.

katsclaws

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »

Thanks pennyfarthing, I've just had a look and will use collect+ for personal items.
The equipment we send off from work for calibration needs compensation cover for £2500 so have to use Royal Mail Special Delivery or a courier.

annieb

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »

Staff should know why they are asking - as mentioned some of it's to do with batteries in mobiles (you can send a mobile and you can send a battery as long as the battery is not inside the mobile - fire hazard - as per recent TV reports) and some is to do with other hazardous items.  Not sure how they will know if you lie . Also I think a certain amount of this is to with upselling - if they think there's something valuable in there they will try to sell you an extra cover for loss.  Bit of a joke really as try claiming  - if you haven't got the receipt for the original item then there's no chance. Having said that our company sends thousands of parcels each year by Royal Mail and only a very very small percentage of those go missing (and some of those are customers who are a little dishonest  >:( )
If you have a parcel over 2kgs try using Yodel Direct. Think it's around £6.00 up to about 10kg and they collect from your home.  Haven't used them a lot but our experiences have been good and system is fully tracked