Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause after hysterectomy (ovaries kept) thread...(also BBT charting)  (Read 4390 times)

mumofthree

Update: I have changed the name of this thread to cover all issues related to perimenopause after hysterectomy but keeping ovaries.

Hi, I have been charting my Basal Body temp for 3 months now but I need help to know what it's saying about my cycle. I wondered whether there's anyone on here that's really clued up about them. I'm finding charting really helps me to feel in control, even though I don't know what it's saying! I'd love it if someone could analyse my chart.

I also wondered whether there could be a thread for thos of us who've had a hysterectomy but kept our ovaries. It's a very confusing situation to be in. Blood tests say there's nothing going on but the symptoms are defininately there (have been for 4 years!) It would be good to have a thread just for this situation.

Thanks in advance  :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:55:55 AM by mumofthree »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help reading BBT chart & Hysterectomy (ovaries kept) thread
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:40:42 AM »

I'm sure that those who have had hysterectomy only will be along.  How have you felt generally?

mumofthree

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:18:07 PM »

Thanks for your reply CLKD. I don't feel as bad as I have done over the last 4 years. I've posted previously about my struggles with anxiety, hot flushes, breast pain.

I am 12 years post hysterectomy but kept my ovaries (I'm 43). I have been charting my basal body temerapture since last November and it helps me to feel in control. I just need someone to analyse the results. From what I can work out I think my overall temps are low compared to normal. There are lots of ups and downs but no great spikes. I'm wondering whether I'm low in progesterone. I had my thyroid checked and it was TSH 1.5...My recent FSH was 2.7

My current symptoms are some anxiety (better than previously), zero libido, breast pain lasting for upto 3 weeks, hair loss, weight gain, lack of motivation, aching joints/muscles after any exercise, feels VERY old!!! Strangely though my hot flushes stopped a while ago but I get one occasionally early morning but that is few and far between, though my feet are boiling at night!?

If anyone on here is clued up on reading a BBT chart I can post it on here?

Thanks all
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:24:06 PM by mumofthree »

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »

Hi mumof3

I am one that had hysterectomy and kept ovaries at 32 (I'm now 50)

Within 6 months I started with symptoms. Blood tests showed very low oestrogen and that the op compromised blood supply to ovaries so dr put me on oestrogen tablets and I felt brilliant up until I hit 45.  I had all your symptoms , but because I was already on oestrogen they said nothing they could do

Sept last year they sent for a scan as they were worried about ovarian cancer.  Scan showed ovaries missing and said because the blood supply was compromised they'd shrivelled and disintegrated so gp wrote to gynae for advice and they advised EITHER testosterone gel or Tibolone

I tried the T gel but didn't really do anything but Tostran was more effective that the Testim gel

Now I'm trialling Tibolone, early days

It really sounds like you need oestrogen and testosterone going by your symptoms

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:01:30 PM »

Hi
Can't read the charts but would love to join a new thread! I'm 3 weeks post op - hysterectomy but kept ovaries!
Sounds a good idea to me!

mumofthree

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 06:23:11 PM »

Thanks for you rreply Annie...I had an ultrasound last year to check for ovarian cycts but all looked fine. You said that you were eostrogen deficient pretty much straight after your hysterectomy then during ultrasound your ovaries weren't there. Have you ever wondered whether your ovaries were removed during the operation? My basal body temp is mostly low which I think means that I have enough eostrogen but not pregestrone but I could be wrong? I also think it's odd that my FSH is 2.7, when i was suffering with bad symptoms 4 years ago when I was under immense stress my FSH was 25. How are you finding the Tibolone?

I had a breast cancer scare 2 years ago so not sure what I can take or what I need?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »

mumofthree - one blood test is not sufficient to tell you exactly what's what - as FSH is very variable during peri-menopause. I realise it is difficult without a period to tell you where you are in menopause but if you are getting hot flushes and sweats and your FSH has been high, then you are likely to be peri-menopausal.

Your progesterone levels are pretty irrelevant to how you feel - if you are ovulating either regularly or intermittently then you will be producing the usual large amounts - otherwise you will be producing the small amounts consistent with post-menopause or the first phase of the menstrual cycle.

It would not do any harm to start a low dose oestrogen if you have been getting menopausal symptoms and your doc should be able to prescribe on this basis. Perhaps a 25 mcg patch (such as Estradot) to start with and increasing after 3 months if your symptoms persist? You may also need Testosterone if your libido has departed but this is only available off licence from enlightened GPs or gynaes.

Hurdity x

mumofthree

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 06:43:19 PM »

Thanks for your reply Hurdity...I've had several FHS tests done over past 4 years. My original symproms were high anxiety and loads of hot flushes with FSH 25, now 4 years later my FSH is 2.7 with no hot flushes, not much anxiety but other symptoms: hair loss, low libido, weight gain, long term breast pain. My BBT is low compared to what it should be so I'm not sure if I'm ovulating?

I don't think I can take eostrogen due to breast cancer scare (pre cancerous cells and lumpectomy). But I don't think it's eostrogen that I need. You mention that low progesterone doesn't cause symptoms but I've read that it can can cause the symptoms I've got at the moment. I'm also wondering about underactive thyroid?

Salad

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 12:31:42 AM »

Only experience I have of temperature charts was to get pregnant  ;D

My temperature would be a steady 36.5 with a slight dip followed by a rise to 36.8 at ovulation- those were the days!

mumofthree

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »

Hi Salad...That's what I'm finding, all the info online is for people who are trying to get pregnant and having periods. I know charting BBT can be used during peri but again the only advice is for women who are still having periods. This was the main reason I started charting as I don't have periods so I wanted to see whether I'm ovulating. Your temps are quite a bit higher than mine.

It would be interesting for me to know what the temps are like for others on here who have also had Hysterectomy but kept ovaries

Annie0710

I know my ovaries were doing something after the hysterectomy and for the following 13 years as every few months I'd suffer the breast tenderness, nothing else but I'd never suffered anything pmt related .  I think personally they dissolved around the time I got the sudden influx of symptoms at 45

Hypothyroidism and meno have many similar symptoms and when I developed double vision along with my symptoms I was convinced, as was the gp that it was my thyroid. But tests showed not.  So that I could completely rule it out I had tests done by blue horizon for the complete panel and they were fine so I carried on looking for a meno regime to help

It is worth trying hrt on a low dose, for testosterone you'd need a good enough dose of oestrogen to balance out

Tibolone so far isn't bad for me, a few niggly side effects/symptoms but to be honest I developed ear problems the same weekend I started so recovering from that has been my biggest issue

I liked the idea of Tibolone as its obvious for me that oestrogen alone doesn't help and I wasn't fully comfortable with the testosterone gel so liked the idea that my body could utilise the Tibolone to where it saw fit.  Early days at the moment but I'm managing

mumofthree

Hi Annie, I too wondered about Hypothyroidism but my TSH is 1.7 which falls in the normal range. I don't think I can take eostrogen due to pre-cancerous cells in my breast resulting in lumpectomy 2 years ago. Plus I feel my symptoms have evened out recently. I'm just concerned about my hair loss, huge weight gain and lethargy more than anything. My hot flushes have stopped for the past few months. This is why I'm wondering if it's not perimenopause related?

Annie0710

I don't think you would always get the whole caboodle anyway with menopause

Tummy fat can be low oestrogen

Hair loss can be low oestrogen or genetic

Lethargy can be low oestrogen/testosterone

But as you know, can be other things too

I guess it all depends on how much you are bothered by the symptoms you have and to investigate if your pre cancerous findings were hormone related etc

sweettooth

Hi mumof3

I had hyster first and kept ovaries and yes it definitely can make hormones very unbalanced but so many professional medics do not understand this and just go by blood tests! I cannot give you any advice on your current chart keeping etc but hopefully someone can. X