Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: In a dilemma !  (Read 1678 times)

Nickyp

In a dilemma !
« on: February 21, 2017, 08:32:45 PM »

Hello all.

I am 52 and post menopause, I had been taking a continuous hrt tablet. This was working well until a few weeks ago when I had some spotting. I stopped hrt on my doctors advise, the spotting stopped so was advised the likely cause was the hrt. Since stopping hrt I have been feeling fine, although over the past few days the hot flushes and insomnia are beginning to return. Mood wise I actually feel better. So not sure where to go from here. I feel I need 'something ' to stop the hot flushes but am wary of trying anything new in case it just makes things worse. Reading the posts on here make me feel quite lucky that I'm doing ok. So not sure what to do - any advise or alternatives gratefully received.

Hurdity

Re: In a dilemma !
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »

Hi Nickyp

I think it was you I responded to you on another thread? Can't remember the details now. I'm not sure why you need to continue without HRT? Was it you put on Evorel conti and then experienced spotting within the first 6 months? I am sure you will have been told it is absoutely normal. I presume the doc said to stop HRT to see if it was that and if the bleeding carried on then you would need investigation? If the doc says you don't need the bleeding investigated then you can go back onto HRT - and continue with the conti HRT. Then if you get spotting/bleeding after this then you would need investigation. Alternatively you can try the same product cyclically and get a monthly withdrawal bleed (Evorel sequi) - and then you would know when the bleed is coming.

There really is no need to suffer if you were happy on HRT - just go back and ask for the same product or the cyclical one. Your doc is remiss to say that spotting is a reason to stop HRT - this is total ignorance. This is what is says on this website:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

POST MENOPAUSAL -
Continuous combined therapies.

"Period free" or continuous combined therapy can be used by women who are 54 + yrs, or more than 1 yr post menopausal at any age. The criteria should be fulfilled in order to offer such treatment to women who no longer have a continuing ovarian cycle, so that steady levels of both estrogen and progestogen can be achieved. When there are steady levels of estrogen and progestogen from daily administration of both, the womb lining stays thin. Although some bleeding in the first 6 months of therapy is common, there should not be bleeding after that and the lining does not go through the stages of stimulation and then shedding as it does during a normal cycle and with sequential therapy. Start with low dose preparations and increase as necessary for symptom control.

Unless s/he suggests an investigation is needed then there surely is not a problem. I would make an appt and discuss all of this. The low mood could be due to the continuous progestogen so another reason why a cyclical hRT might be better. Also Femseven may well be better tolerated (although some women have problems with sticking....).

Hurdity x

Nickyp

Re: In a dilemma !
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:05:05 PM »

Thanks for your reply Hurdity. Yes you did respond to me on another thread, my concern was although I did have one occasion of spotting early on this recent episode was after a year of being on elleste continious tablets. Have a doctors appointment in a few weeks so will discuss it all then, although everyone on here has more idea than my doc! Thanks again