Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Estrogen patches... use question.  (Read 1747 times)

TraceyTracey

Estrogen patches... use question.
« on: February 05, 2017, 03:17:21 PM »

I read today that Estogen patches and other forms of topical hormones encourage the body to stop producing the hormone of its own accord.  Is this true or a marketing ploy to encourage us to spend cash on supplements.. thank you.

:-\

Lizab

Re: Estrogen patches... use question.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »

I don't know, but oral contraceptives have more estrogen than patches deliver, so I think this is not true. Aside from women taking OC earlier in life and not having a complete shutdown of estrogen after, there are also women who are on OC through perimenopause that have little or no trouble when they stop the pill and find themselves post-meno. I suppose it's possible, but I would think there would be other factors contributing to the adrenals giving up estrogen production besides patches and probably other adrenal output would be off too.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 05:56:20 PM »

TraceyTRacey - I'm certainly no expert but I doubt that HRT stops your own hormones.  In the peri meno stage, taking HRT can help to control the hormonal fluctuations that are typical at this stage by balancing things out.  Essentially, in the peri stage, your own hormones are gradually reducing - whether you use HRT or not.
There are quite a few theories and claims that are bandied about by alternative therapy product makers trying to sell remedies and supplements - I'm always very sceptical about this.  Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 07:56:25 PM »

Hi TraceyTracey

To add to the other comments - as mentioned if you are taking the CCP then you shut down your cycle so your ovaries temporarily stop producing so much oestrogen as your follicles cannot ripen - and the oestrogen comes from the Pill. As LizaB says when you stop taking the Pill your cycle comes back. You can also stop your cycle by taking very high doses of oestrogen (ie temporarily prevent ovulation) - but most HRT comes nowhere near this level.

If you are thinking of using oestrogen patches for menopausal oestrogen deficiency, then do give it serious consideration  - and as Dancinggirl says - please do not believe all you read on the internet - especially sites that sell things, US doctors with their own pet theories, and many bloggers/forums.

Hurdity x

Dana

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:37:49 PM »

I think a good rule of thumb is to thoroughly check any site you get your information from. If there are any links to any kind of alternative product, like compounded hormones, progesterone cream or supplements don't take anything they claim as being the truth. They will claim all sorts of things just so they can convince you to buy their unresearched and untested product in preference to regulated and tested conventional HRT.