Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Tridestra v Fermoston 2/10  (Read 5134 times)

LeslieKnope

Tridestra v Fermoston 2/10
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »

Hi! This is a tad long but please bear with! I'm 21, and very recently got diagnosed with premature ovarian failure, and therefore have entered early menopause. As part of this, my doctor has recommended either Tridestra, or Fermoston 2/10 as my two options of medication to chose between. I have a few questions, but I've trawled the internet and cannot find the answers I'm looking for, so decided to ask the question instead of wasting my time on google. I understand Tridestra is a 3 month course, while Fermoston 2/10 is a monthly course. On what week on each course do you bleed? Is it on the placebo on tridestra or when you start taking the white pills again? And so is it the final week of each blister pack for the Fermoston? Sorry if I haven't made myself clear, I am very new to this and a bit confused. Thank you very much to anyone who can help!

Dancinggirl

Re: Tridestra v Fermoston 2/10
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 01:16:56 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM LeslieKnope
This must be so tough for you.  HAve you checked out the website - DaisyNetwork - it's specifically for women with POF. I had POF in my mid 30s after I had had 2 children but it was still tough to come to terms with the changes involved.   
To try and answer your question;  finding the right HRT can be challenging - it is often trial and error before you find the hormone balance that suits you.  Of the 2 types you have been initially offered I would suggest you try Femoston 2/10 first - this is a sequential HRT and will bring a monthly bleed usually between 2-3 days after finishing the progesterone phase of pills.  Femoston has a kinder progesterone that often suits many women very well. The Tridestra will give the same withdrawal bleed but only every 3 months.  I believe there is a greater chance of erratic or breakthrough bleeding with Tridetstra as the womb lining can build up too much and this may be a nuisance.

Do look under the TREATMENTS section at the top of this page - this explains your options and you will see there are plenty of other alternatives to try if you find you don't get on with either of the HRTs you have been offered. 

I also believe that there is a type of Birth Control Pill that is now considered very good for women in POF or early peri meno - I think it is called Qiaria (I know I've spelt this wrong) - hopefully someone who has tried this will be along to help about this?? 

If you want a more hassle free regime with no bleeding, then having a Mirena fitted to protect the womb lining and then taking oestrogen as either pills, patch or gel can be a good option.  You might need an anaesthetic to have a Mirena fitted but this would stay in place of 4 years.
Do browse around this site to get really clued up - write down questions and print stuff off to help you discuss things better with your doctor.
Keep us posted about your progress - we are here to support you.  DG xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »

Hi LeslieKnope

:welcomemm: from me too.

So sorry to hear about your POF at such a young age. Have your periods stopped completely now for a year?

In your position I agree with Dancinggirl and of the two I would go for Femoston - so that as far as possible you can mimic what your cycle would have been doing. Of the combi tablet HRT types Femoston is the one that is closest to our own hormones - it contains the oestrogen - estradiol - and the progestogen is dydrogesterone - very similar to progesterone and as Dancinggirl says - is the best tolerated of the synthetic progestogens.

I understand that in a small percentage of women, ovarian function can resume following POF so you might also want to consider a complete bioidentical combo - by that I mean the hormones are the same as made in our bodies. This would entail taking two products though and you might not want to do this being so young. You can take oestrogen in the form of tablets, patches or gel, and then you take progesterone separately - as utrogestan. However it can have sedating side effects (and sometimes worse) as the dose is quite large, so perhaps Femoston would be best for you.

There a few women on here who have tried Tridestra but I think the bleeds can be quite heavy - if you can imagine 12 weeks worth of womb lining having to come away!

QLAIRA is the pill Dancinggirl was talking about - it also contains estradiol but a synthetic progestogen and only 2 tablet free days.

Hurdity x

LeslieKnope

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 07:47:16 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies! Yeah it was a bit of shock to the system. I knew something wasn't right but I really never thought it would be this. Onwards and upwards though right?! 

Dancinggirl-I have looked a little bit at DaisyNetwork, I follow them on twitter now so it is comforting to see other people going through this at the same kind of age as me. I'm sure it was tough for you to deal with too, it's not really something you want to hear until much later on.

Hurdity-My periods were never regular, I had them for about 2 and a half years, and I went to the doctor there as I hadn't had one for 3 years. Got referred to a gynaecologist who did an examination and told me that he was struggling to see any eggs at all, and that my only option if I wanted to have my own children was via IVF. A bit blunt, but I guess the information he was delivering wasn't nice.

Thank you for your suggestions about the tablets, I will give fermoston a go and see where it takes me! I get that it's a journey of finding the right medication, hopefully I can work it out quickly!
You guys are fab xx