Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Reassurance for those suffering with palpitations/PVCS  (Read 4357 times)

Rustysmum

Reassurance for those suffering with palpitations/PVCS
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:10:03 PM »

I am struggling with daily palpitations, particularly severe in the afternoons  and evenings. I recently saw a lovely cardiologist who totally acknowledged the relationship between menopause and these heart irregularities. In fact he told me I was the fourth woman he had seen that day with the same symptoms. He said they were harmless, though uncomfortable and that they often go on for several years without causing damage to your heart. There are medications available to try if they are too problematic to cope with. He is arranging an echocardiogram just for reassurance that nothing else is going on but he fully suspects that this is all due to fluctuating and diminishing hormones. I just thought it may help others going through the same thing to know how 'normal' some cardiologists regard this.

Rustysmum

Re: Reassurance for those suffering with palpitations/PVCS
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:38:29 PM »

Oh and he said they usually always eventually go. Sometimes gradually diminishing and sometimes just disappearing as suddenly as they came!

Rustysmum

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »

You are welcome, Sparkle!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:12:21 PM »

Rustysmum - have you tried taking some Magnesium and Vitamin D - I've found this has stopped my palpitations. 
DG x

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 10:19:01 PM »

I was told the same by my Cardiologist. It's good to get reassurance, isn't it? All my tests were clear - I even had scans at the nuclear cardiology department to make sure! I'm glad your cardiologist is taking good care of you too. xxxxx

Salad

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 01:26:10 AM »

Thank you ladies - this is just what I needed to hear.

When your heart is racing for so long it really does make you hesitant to do anything in case your heart can't take it - I've watched a lot of box sets over the last few weeks!

:thankyou:

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 11:05:44 AM »

Just found this after doing a search.  thank you to the OP for the reassurance.  I was troubled last night not by a particularly rapid heart rate but I was aware of my heart beat and had a fluttering sensation in my chest.  When I took my pulse I noticed an occasional missed beat.  That was it, after that I could not get to sleep so I got up and looked it up on the NHS website which reassured me a little that if I went to sleep I would most probably still be here in the morning.  :)

To read this thread this morning is reassuring but I will be mentioning it to my GP when I go tomorrow.

I have had a very busy month so far and an extremely stressful and over busy week so I put it down to stress, anxiety and hormonal upheaval but might ask the GP to check it out for me especially as my father had his first heart attack at 58 and the second at 68  :(