Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Femoston issues  (Read 2370 times)

Bellababe

Femoston issues
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:32:06 PM »

Hello All I am peri menopausal and I've been on Femoston for 4 months and it is helping with balancing out my moods, my joints are not aching as much and I'm less anxious, but my period arrives in week 3 or start of 4 rather than at end of 4th week, light headaches - not enough to take a pill, heavier periods than before but not a problem so Dr says I may need higher dose of progesterone and Femoston now isn't available in higher dose???She said I could try Prempak which freaked me out a bit. We are reviewing again in a months time. Anyone had similar need for higher progesterone and what you did would be helpful please.

Dancinggirl

Re: Femoston issues
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:14:02 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Bellababe
It sounds to me as though your own hormones are still overriding the HRT. Are you on Femoston 1/10? In peri meno the hormones fluctuate and maybe over the last 3 months you have still been producing plenty of your own hormones and this could result in the periods arriving at odd times.  I really wouldn't go for a higher dose as this stage as this might not help. It's worth persevering for a few more months on this HRT as Femoston is a good one to be on, your own hormones will reduce gradually as you get deeper into menopause, then the HRT will take control and you'll be more in balance.
You seem to be doing well apart from getting erratic bleeds so give it more time.
I wouldn't try Prempak - I think this HRT is being phased out anyway as it's rather old fashioned.  DG x

Sax19

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:40:22 AM »

Hi Bellababe

I'm on Femoston too (1/10) and get my monthly bleed at the start of week 4 so this may be normal. I have only been on this for 2 months so still early days but have not noticed a difference in anything yet apart from I am now able to sleep.  I still have low moods, aches in my joints etc and this is getting me down. This seems to be a lot worse on the progesterone stage.

How long were you on Femoston before you noticed a difference?

I don't know whether to stick it out for another few months or ask for a higher dose or something else.

Sax19 X

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »

Hi bellababe

You could always try to reset your cycle by starting the combi part of the tablets (the second half of the pack) a week early, If you end up having problems with bleeds then you could consider having a Mirena coil and then you can adjust the oestrogen dose separately. I agree with Dancinggirl - if you have a choice - don't go for Prempak - stick with the preparation that you are on which is close as you can get to being "bio-identical" - ie the oestrogen is estradiol - the same preparation made in our body, and the progestogen is dydrogesterone, which is very similar to progesterone.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on - ideally on this thread :)

Hurdity x

Dollydream

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »

Hi bellababe

I took Femoston 1/10 for 4 months but just found the periods too heavy, a week could be wiped out with pre period cramps followed by heavy bleeding.  I also found that I didn't get on too well with the first half of the pack (oestrogen only tablets) and felt better on a combination of oestrogen/progesterone.  I've got a mirena coil now for the progesterone side which is really working for me which I use alongside the oestrogen gel which I have adjusted to suit and I don't miss those heavy bleeds at all.

Good luck with your review at the doctors.

DollyD x

Bellababe

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »

Thanks for responses, it is so good to feel there are others like you out there! I want to continue with Femoston as I agree, it's closest I can get to bioidenticals, and also don't see need to try higher dose yet. It's only month 4 and there are more definite pros than cons,which kicked in after only a couple of months luckily. Will see what dr says at review.  I won't be touching Prempak! Thanks again x Bellababe