Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2303 times)

Sax19

« on: February 01, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »

Hi everyone

I'm 42 and have been Peri for two years. I thought I was too young to be menopausal so buried my head in the sand and somehow managed to put up with the severe headaches, lack of sleep, moodiness, anxiety etc. My periods stopped for 7 months last year and started again in October. Between October and December I turned into a different person. I was so low, lethargic, snappy, weepy etc until one day in December I totally broke down in the doctors room and asked for HRT.

I have been on Femoston 1/10 for two months and the only difference I have noticed is I am finally managing to sleep and the hot flushes are not as bad. However, the mood swings and all other symptoms are still there. I seem to be worse once I am on the progestogen tablets.

This morning I have been back to the doctors for my two month review and she was a total idiot. Instead of helping me she tried to tell me to come off HRT and try antidepressants. I explained that several doctors have been trying to get me on HRT for the past two years due to my age to protect my bones as well as helping with the symptoms but she said that only applies to people under 40.

Can someone tell me what they think? I don't want to go down the antidepressant route as I am not depressed just very low from feeling lethargic all the time. Surely all I need is a change to the HRT dose or to try a different type.

People told me that taking HRT would make me feel brilliant but that definitely isn't the case at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Hurdity

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:46:09 AM »

Hi Sax19

:welcomemm:

Oh how awful - yet another example of a doctor trying to fob you off with ADs when you are not depressed!

Yes you are quite right that you need HRT at this young age to help protect your heart and bones, at least until the average age of menopause of around 51. Even without your early menopause, the NICE Guidelines state that ADs should not be offered as the first line of treatment for menopause but HRT should be.  If she does not know that at your age HRT is needed then she should not be practising!!!

If you are not yet fully at menopause and if your ovaries are still functioning somewhat then you may well still get some mood swings due to your own cycle. Also as you say, some women are sensitive to the progestogen in HRT - although Femoston is one of the better tolerated ones.

If you still have flushes then the 1/10 is definitely too low an oestrogen dose so it sounds to me like you could benefit from a higher dose - 1/10 is not very high for a woman of your age! There is 2/10 available so perhaps you could ask your doc for that? The good news is that the progestogen dose is no greater on this preparation, but the extra oestrogen may mean you do not notice any side effects from the prog? Alternatively you could have a Mirena coil - and then choose a transdermal oestrogen (patch or gel) which you could tweak to suit you.

Please go to a different doctor - the ones who are wanting you to be on HRT - and discuss other options - a higher dose or different regime.

All the different types are listed under TREATMENT/HRT preparations above.

Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:21:22 AM »

Has the HRT eased symptoms, if so, continue.  At this time of Life as oestrogen levels drop muscle may become lax = aches and pains as well as the skin things: inside and out, i.e. vaginal atrophy, itching deep in the ears and nostrils ........

It is well known that the Progesterone part of HRT can be wicked and some ladies have to move onto a regime with less or none at all.  Often GPs are not up to date on the various ways of using HRT to ease symptoms. 

Browse found.  Make Notes!  Use the search button for example which should take you to threads of interest, i.e. Progesterone and see what has been suggested.

Sax19

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »

Hi Hurdity and CLKD

Thank you so much for your advice.

The doctor I saw was very anti HRT and tried to warn me about the risks, which I have obviously thought long and hard about before starting this treatment.

I will definitely be making another appointment to see a doctor who is hopefully more supportive and knows what they are actually talking about!

The flushes are still there but not as bad, so maybe it is still early days as it has only been two months. It's the low mood and lethargy that is really getting me down.

Do you think I should give it a bit longer or ask for the higher dose now?

Sax19

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 01:03:40 PM »

Hi Sax19

Although you have been on HRT for two months - if this dose was going to work, it should really have eliminated your flushes by now so personally, if it were me, I would ask to trial a higher dose sooner rather than later, and then see how this affects your mood - before thinking about an alternative preparation.

Hurdity x

Sax19

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Thanks for your advice.

I spoke to another doctor on the phone today to ask if I could try the higher dose and they want me to have a blood test to check my levels before they decide. My hormone level showed I was well into Peri when I had them done 9 months ago so don't know what changes they are expecting to see.

I'm now booked in for a blood test next week and a review with the doctor (one that knows what they are talking about hopefully) the following week to go through the results so will need to stick it out for the next few weeks.

Sax19 X

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »

Hi Sax19

I am puzzled by what blood tests they will be doing? FSH tests will certainly not be accurate now that you are taking HRT and they should be going by symptoms alone. Estradiol levels will also vary depending on your underlying cycle. However at least you have set things in motion so good luck with that, and in the meantime hang in there if you can. Hopefully you have someone in your life who can help support you through this, and try to distract yourself from anxious feelings - you will get through this :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 05:38:09 PM »

Go through the process, they may be box ticking!  Keep a list of moods/symptoms to take with you.  Explain that any mood alterations are hormone related and that you wish to discuss the best possible HRT - that worrying about any risks isn't on your radar right now, that you want quality of Life!  After, that bus might be along tomorrow ;-).

Do you have a Practice Nurse you could talk with?  Do let us know how you get on.

Shelby64599

Im on evorel 50  estrogen only patch  my gp was very  anti hrt i fought for  12 months  my anxiety got worse  my mood was very  unbalanced  very tearful  i felt nothing but a failure,  i didn't want to  see my kids or grandkids  im almost 46 it is difficult  as things differ from one day to the next i thought i was going crazy at times but glad i kept fighting 

Sax19

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »

Hi Shelby64599

Thanks for sharing your story and I'm so glad you didn't give up. Hope you are feeling a lot better now.

CLKD - I keep a diary with my list of my symptoms as these seem to change daily. I will speak to the nurse when I have my bloods done tomorrow and hopefully she can tell me the reason behind the tests.

Hurdity - hopefully this will sorted soon. I don't feel as bad this week as I'm back on oestrogen only. I definitely feel a lot worse when I am taking the progestogen too. I have a brilliant husband who is very supportive so have a great family to help me through.

Thank you ladies, I will keep you posted!

Sax19 X

Flewog

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 09:04:32 PM »

Hi all, I have have been through the same my GP a 20 something young woman said nope to young, still having a regular period, but I knew I was not right. Went to to see another GP she was amazing been on Evoral patches for 5 months now, would not stop now even though I have had a few issues like headaches, join pain and recently the patch has been irritating me. Still the best decision I have made I am better in work and have my family back. Hang on in there it does get better your not alone 👍

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »

It has always amazed me that patients will have blood taken but not ask or understand what for  ::) - it seemed OK to be told 'we will send you for routine blood tests and see you in 3 weeks time' ...........  ::)