Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Burn from heart monitor?  (Read 5749 times)

cubagirl

Burn from heart monitor?
« on: February 10, 2017, 05:35:32 PM »

Is it possible to get a burn/blister after having a heart monitor?  I handed back my 24 hour heart monitor this morning.  I felt discomfort from yesterday under one pad, but thought it was maybe the tape I'd been plastered with to keep wires in place.  They were a devil to remove today.  But now that my skin has calmed down I now see an open burn/blister where one pad was attached.  It's really nippy. There's a little hole in the skin too.  Never had that before.  Any ideas? Maybe I've just got sensitive skin.  Other areas are all fine.

Tempest

Re: Burn from heart monitor?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »

Hi, Cubagirl

My skin is very sensitive too, but I'm wondering if it was a faulty electrode and you may have got a wee burn from it? I would give them a phone at the clinic if you're worried, as well as to let them know that they might have a faulty monitor.

I do hope your results show everything is ok! xxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 07:39:25 PM »

I agree with Tempest
My skin is so sensitive too but I've never had a problem with the heart monitor.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:09:49 PM »

I would have rung to tell them and asked to be seen.

At the very least you need burns cream!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:30:53 PM »

It will be an allergic reaction to the sticky of the pad the use. I react very badly to the sticky stuff on heart moniters and once had the technician gasp in horror when she took the pad off as I had a huge bright red like burn area on my side. She then told me that they can use ones for people with sensitive skin so next time I asked for these and they were much better.

the reaction will fade over a few days although mine were tender for a couple of days but gone completely in less than a week.

cubagirl

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:50:17 PM »

I'm sure it's just my skin. Can't use fabric Elastoplast as my skin breaks out. Other areas were fine, it was just one area. Never had problem before, but normal ECGs are on for such a short time. It'll be fine I'm sure, just never had it happen before.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 12:08:17 PM »

It was a shock the first time it happened to me too!  At least now you know if you have to have it done again to ask for the ones for super sensitive skin. On me the effect was million times less.

Scampi

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 08:24:10 AM »

Most likely a reaction to the adhesive or conductive gel in the pad.  My daughter reacts to all adhesives, even those that are touted as hypo-allergenic.  It will settle down in a few days, but be sure to mention it next time 'they' want to stick anything on you, so they can choose products less likely to affect you.

cubagirl

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 08:53:02 AM »

Sent the hospital an email which they acknowledged this morning.  I also sent them photos of affected areas. They are forwarding to the clinicians.  One went all horrid yesterday, but seems to be better today.

Tempest

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »

Good thinking, Cubagirl! I hope the sore areas heal up soon. xxxx

Woodlands

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »

Hi.
Sounds like an allergic reaction to the adhesive. ......it will heal but horrid to suffer x