Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Swollen lymph nodes feeling fluey  (Read 17219 times)

Peroxideblader

Swollen lymph nodes feeling fluey
« on: January 25, 2017, 02:52:23 PM »

Hi there this is probably a strange question but with the weird symptoms of peri nothing would surprise me...cut a long story short after almost 3 years of sore throat and swollen gland in my neck I saw a new doctor who rushed me worryingly for a ent appt as she was worried it was suspect..anyway been to hospital they don't think it's cancer just 3 lumps on my lymph glands said to monitor them..it's a relief but I still have no cure or idea why I'm always feeling like I've got mild flu..aches sore throat blocked nose headache sinusitis just feeling crap ...I know it's probably more to do with my 430am getting to sleep than hormones but I just wondered if anyone else has these symptoms long term since starting peri. Thanks

Elizabethrose

Re: Swollen lymph nodes feeling fluey
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 03:48:25 PM »

Hi Peroxideblader,

I rarely develop colds etc, haven't had one for years, but my glands under my armpits swell and become sore, which is a sure sign I'm fighting something. It's not a constant but happens frequently, especially when everyone else is sniffling and snuffling. Lack of sleep pulls us down and probably compromises our immune system too.

I'm not a big believer of vitamin supplements but have you tried giving your body a blitz of everything good to try to boost your immune system? My sister was like you last year, couldn't shake it off for about 9 months. She decided to try to fight back, bought a vitamin and mineral supplement, started blitzing whole fruit smoothies and batch cooking vegetable soups with tons of greens and upped her protein intake, and it seemed to work. Trouble is it's impossible to really say whether it worked or whatever she'd had had eventually burnt itself out. She felt better for it either way!

I hope you feel better soon x

yellowjo

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »

I came on here for the first time in a couple of years to check the swollen lymph node thing and saw your post. Mine has been swollen on the left side only for a couple of weeks now. It goes up and down. It seems to swell after I've eaten and after certain foods like nuts or pineapple my throat also seems to swell. I wonder if it's a food allergy problem. I haven't been to the doctor yet, as, frankly, I'm too scared to! I haven't been feeling fluey, but did feel quite nauseous when eating nuts with my yogurt this morning. I've been officially post-menopause for almost five years now and I'm 54.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »

Allergies can appear during The Change.

Nuts are a known danger - pineapple should not be eaten when on certain medications and as an acidic, can cause the lips to split and soreness in the throat

However, calcium stones can form in the salivary glands so maybe yellowjo a trip to your Dentist?

Peroxideblader: do you have a follow-up appt.? 

yellowjo

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 04:26:14 PM »

Thanks, CLKD! I only visited my dentist and hygienist (both new) in the last two weeks and they didn't mention that anything was wrong. I'm not on any meds nor HRT. I've read about calcium stones in the salivary glands. Will see how I go and I might visit the doctor in a week or so (I hate going to the doctors).

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »

I would go back to my Dentist.

Salad

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »

Enlarged inflammed, painful glands under my arms was one of my first menopausal symptoms. I also felt ill with flu-like symptoms and had a raised temperature. I was seen by several doctors, medical, surgical and dermatology within a 5 week period. After googling 'sore armpits' at 2am one night I found a forum where people had the same problem linked to their menstrual cycle. I spoke with my GP who started me on HRT and a week later the lumps had gone  ;D

Even now when my oestrogen level drops I get the enlarged glands back again.

Peroxideblader

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:28:07 PM »

Thanks everyone...it's not dental as it was my dentist who actually mentioned my left gland was always swollen when I saw him ...I am a bit suspicious I have not been given a follow up appointment but I am ringing the doctors to get full blood work done as something isn't right..it could be peri I know it affects us in so many ways but I also don't trust doctors all of the time. I'll have a look at sjogren as my family suffer from auto immune disorders which my doctors won't even look into. Two family members had thyroid issues which I've tested negative for but it's made me think I should push a little more for more tests.  Once I said I smoked well that was it they blamed it all on that no surprise....and my age they said it's that dodgy age ha ha...I didn't find it funny and the 4 family members who've died from cancer were non smokers..he was so arrogant and rushed..that's why I asked here because a lot of the symptoms I have are menopause symptoms I know that but they are also symptoms of lymphoma...thanks everyone think I'll get this blood test done next then see

Peroxideblader

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »

Yellowjo meant to say if your glands come up and go back down that's usually your lymph glands fighting infection or an allergy but if they don't go down in a few months and you start feeling ill feverish night sweats sore throat etc go to the doctors just in case..my dentist first commented on my gland 4 years ago and for 3 years it's not gone away stayed large and swollen but as it's not grown they're not taking it serious..good luck hope it goes down soon

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 09:37:41 PM »

I wonder?  ??? ? - for years I suffered with what the family called 'heat bumps' .  My skin would itch around lumps all over, usually where elastic fitted, i.e. under the bra line ....... I never associated it with hormones, Dad called them 'sugar spots'.  No medical cause found.

yellowjo

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »

You ladies are wonderful! This is all reassuring, so thank you. My anxiety levels have been terrible this week. I know I'm suffering from underlying stress, as my mother-in-law has been ill for about 3 months (in hospital for 10 weeks following a fall). She came home last week, has carers in four times a day, but still phones here at least four times a day. She's no longer able to walk or stand up and has dementia. My husband has visited her every single day since her fall and I've done my bit, too. He has taken the week off work to deal with all the official stuff involved in getting her into a care home. I wonder whether the swollen lymph node is a sign of stress? I also have bad eczema in the area just behind the swollen gland (have had for years). I've tried various creams etc, but it always flares up again. Today when I woke, the lymph node was quite badly swollen, but went down within half an hour and hasn't swollen up all day, not even when I ate. I think I will make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, as I would like some blood tests to rule one or two things out. I can't believe that lack of oestrogen etc can have such far-reaching effects!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 07:35:03 PM »

yellowjo - do you/husband have Power of Attorney for his Mum?

If your immune system is down then lymph nodes may well pop up!

Megamind

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 07:40:02 PM »

Swollen lymph nodes can be due to stress. Also, if the eczema is close by, then that will also bring the lymph node up especially if you are scratching that area in the night which is why it's probably bigger on a morning.

yellowjo

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 07:45:00 PM »

Yes, CLKD, my husband does have power of attorney... he got it some time ago.

You could be right, Megamind, about the stress factor and I think I do scratch at night. The eczema area does seem a bit swollen, too, now.

Megamind

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 08:24:44 PM »

My husband had a swollen lymph node in his neck for over a year but the Dr wasn't concerned. My husband shaves with a razor and the Dr said he could be 'nicking' himself shaving and that would make the lymph node swell. It eventually went down.

During peri, I have had a lot of itchiness especially around my chest and neck area and I scratch it really badly in the night and when I wake up, it's worse at night because of the heat.
Pages: [1] 2