Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause  (Read 2203 times)

mogwai

Menopause
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:24:01 PM »

Hi I'm Lyn,
I had a hysterectomy a few years ago so no periods (yes !).  However I hate the hot flushes etc and everything else that goes with it.  I've tried herbal stuff, serenity cream, allsorts.  I can't have HRT coz I'm hypothyroid.  Is there ANYTHING I can do ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menopause
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:26:54 PM »

:welcomemm:

There are several ladies here with hydroid problems.  Hopefully they will be along with advice.

What advice were you given prior to the hysterectomy with regards HRT requirements.  How old are you? HRT can protect heart and bones.

Herbal 'stuff' can help but when the hormones take over any benefits are lost. 

mogwai

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »

There are several ladies here with hydroid problems.  Hopefully they will be along with advice.

What advice were you given prior to the hysterectomy with regards HRT requirements.  How old are you? HRT can protect heart and bones.

Herbal 'stuff' can help but when the hormones take over any benefits are lost.

I was 36 when I had my hysterectomy (cancer) they left my ovaries in and wasn't given ANY advice whatsoever!  I'm 58, yesterday !

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:14:20 PM »

You should have had some form of HRT to protect bones/heart  ::).  Good quality brisk walking can stave off osteoporosis.

:hbday: did  you celebrate?

If you do a search on here for hysterectomy you'll find associated threads ........ and yes, there are options.  What do you need to sort first?

mogwai

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »

You should have had some form of HRT to protect bones/heart  ::).  Good quality brisk walking can stave off osteoporosis.

:hbday: did  you celebrate?

If you do a search on here for hysterectomy you'll find associated threads ........ and yes, there are options.  What do you need to sort first?

Apart from having to go to the dentist I had a nice quiet day.  Hubby bought me a dozen deep red roses.  GP says I can't have HRT and I tried it once and yuck, didn't suit me and no I'm not trying millions of other kinds of HRT.  Sorry.  What do I need to sort out first you asked me CLKD, I think the 'funny turns'  I don't know why they call them 'funny' turns coz there is nothing whatsoever 'funny' about them !

I will look at the other threads you have pointed out to me CLKD.  Thank You

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »

Do you see an endocrinologist regarding the thyroid? 

I have 'funny' turns also.  Bugga ..........  ;D : head zaps, dizzy feelings when I turn my head, I nag the TV .......

mogwai

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 02:49:53 PM »

Do you see an endocrinologist regarding the thyroid? 

I have 'funny' turns also.  Bugga ..........  ;D : head zaps, dizzy feelings when I turn my head, I nag the TV .......

Yes I see an Endo, my thyroid levels are spot on CLKD

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »

That's good!

Browse round.  Use the 'search' button as a short cut ;-)

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »

Hi mogwai

Sorry to hear about your cancer but glad that it was cured and you are fine apart from the flushes and sweats - and the not-so-funny turns. (I think the "funny" is "funny peculiar" as opposed to "funny ha-ha"!).

Just to add that your doctor is quite wrong to say you cannot have HRT if you are hypothyroid - that is not one of the contra-indications and sorry to hear you didn't have success with the one you tried. There are several women on this forum with thyroid problems who are on HRT. The brilliant thing about being in your position ie no womb - is that you do not need a progestogen as part of your HRT and it is this which usually causes most of the problems with side effects.

Usually provided you start low and slow and use a "bio-identical" one - that contains estradiol - it is very easy to control flushes and sweats (less easy for those who also have ovary removal from what I gather).

Obviously I respect your decision not to want to try one - but I would strongly recommend you ask for something like a low dose oestrogen patch like Estradot eg 25 mcg. It comes in a range of doses from 25 mcg to 100 mcg but in your position 50 mcg would probably be sufficient - although I would start low and slow.

It's up to you of course - but really, if you have been having sweats for some years and you are now 58 - you could well be one of those women for whom they continue for years - there is no way of knowing. Transdermal HRT is also better if you are taking thyroid meds - in some women anyway.

CLKD  you don't need HRT after hysterectomy if you keep your ovaries - this is only for surgical menopause especially if it is done before you have actually reached natural menopause.

It depends how your quality of life is being affected. if you are suffering and are unable to live life as full as you would like to - then I urge you to think again about a low dose HRT - nothing else has been shown to work to reduce flushes and sweats effectively.

Hope this helps and glad you enjoyed your birthday :)

Hurdity x

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 05:38:33 PM »

Hurdity, sometimes you do need hrt after menopause when you keep your ovaries - I am one of them.  At 32 with no uterus but kept ovaries I started with menopause symptoms within 6 months of the surgery. Oestrogen levels were low but ovaries were doing something as I'd have sore breasts every few months.  Blood supply can and does get severed / compromised even if ovaries are kept.  I'd assume Usually in these cases that's when the ovaries shrivel and disappear

mogwai

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »

I also still have my ovaries.  I will do some research on this site, Thanks everyone for replying to me.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »

:thankyou:  Both.  I know from discussion many years ago that my Gynae removes ovaries as a matter of course, so that he doesn't have to 'go in again and risk another GA' ..... I don't know what his take is on HRT though. 

Let us know how you get on!

mogwai

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 01:29:16 PM »

I've been to see the doc.  I described how I am feeling and he asked me to lie down on the couch with my head back, off the edge.  He rotated my head to the left and right etc.  I have vertigo, not menopausal 'funny turns'.  This vertigo comes in waves so I've got some tablets and he will refer me to ENT at the hospital.