Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: new member...so sad  (Read 2566 times)

Newsystemgirl

new member...so sad
« on: January 21, 2017, 10:06:23 PM »

Hi, I'm 45 years old. I started with symptoms last year such as night sweats, heavy clotting periods, and occasional mood swings. But the past couple of months the crying, anxiety, intrusive thoughts, etc have become almost unbearable. I've lost quite a lot of weight because the anxiety makes me unable to feel hunger anymore. It seems like I cry almost every day, really deep crying like grieving. I know it's up to me to figure out if I'll go the route of AD or HRT. But what I guess I'm hoping to learn on this forum is if this is unusual for women going through perimenopause. I sometimes find it hard to believe that this can all be hormone related. Thanks for any thoughts or insight you can share.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: new member...so sad
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:10:14 PM »

Yep.  HORMONES  >:(  ::)

Browse round.  Make notes.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.

One needs to consider HRT in order to protect bones and heart.  Brisk exercise several times each week can stave off osteoporosis.

Can you remember how you were as a teen, all the hormonal angst?  The Change is that in reverse. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:16:05 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Newsystemgirl
What you are experiencing is very common for the peri meno phase - the fluctuating hormones can mess with everything.  It's well worth considering HRT - I wouldn't take ADs unless HRT doesn't help - some women need both HRT and ADs but HRT should be the first line of treatment for meno symptoms. When the hormones are more balanced then this can sort so many things.
If the heavy and erratic periods are a real problem then you could consider having a Mirena fitted that would reduce and eventually stop the bleeding and alongside simply add in Oestrogen as either pills, patch or OEstrogel to control the meno symptoms.
Read up all the info on this site, write out all your symptoms and questions and then see your GP.  Do ask to see a GP in the practise who is clued up about meno issues.  You're not alone - we're here to help. Good luck  Dg x

Dana

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:18:55 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM.

What you are experiencing is very normal. My worst sympton was severe insomnia, which lead to anxiety and depression, but I didn't actually have them as stand alone symptons, although many women do.

My personal belief is that ADs,  and other meds like benzos, should never be used as a first option for menopause symptoms. If you have no history of these problems then it would appear it is hormone related and hormones are needed to help resolve the problem.

However, every woman does have to make her own choices, but just keep in mind the additional long term benefits you will get from HRT that you won't get from ADs. Use of them could just lead to long term problems.

Newsystemgirl

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 01:33:07 AM »

Thanks so much to everyone for replying. I'm SO relieved to know hormones can actually cause all these. I was really beginning to doubt my sanity. I appreciate knowing that HRT should be first line of defense. I would prefer to stay away from AD treatment if at all possible.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  Less sad now?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 05:26:24 PM »

Hi newsystemgirl

:welcomemm: from me too and sorry to hear you are feeling sad :(.

You haven't mentioned your periods and cycle and what's happening with them? For many women, even before you begin to skip periods, hormonal changes start to take place and as Dancinggirl says - the more extreme hormonal fluctuations can cause havoc.

If you have no reason to cry - ie there have been no changes in your life to bring this on then sounds hormonal. I cried a lot also at this point - although not every day -but the slightest thing would set me off - especially at work and work issues  - most embarrassing! I hardly ever cry now (well post-menopause).

I do agree with Dancinggirl and Dana (and CLKD!) that if you are going to take something, it should not be anti-depressants - and it is the NICE Guidelines which state that HRT should be given as first line of treatment.

Do have a read of this article about peri-menopause from the magazine:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Also another possibility as you are only 45 is to take one of the newer birth control pills that are good for women approaching menopause - as they contain the same type of oestrogen as in HRT (estradiol) and only have a few tablet free days. This way your cycle is better controlled and the hormonal swings. Provided you can tolerate synthetic progestogens these can be a good choice. They are called QLAIRA and ZOELY.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

MsKittin

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »

Hello Newsystemgirl and welcome! :D
I'm also new here and not an expert but I can tell you that anxiety is my worst hormonal system (along with sleeplessness) and like you it caused me to lose weight. Now on HRT and the anxiety and sleeplessness are as good as gone ... I didn't want to take HRT at first, but the other medication I was offered didn't really work (had sleeping pills but still woke up after 3 hours!), and neither did supplements.
Good luck!
MsKittin x

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 08:38:14 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that the only thing that ISN'T normal during peri is...feeling normal  ::)

Take it a step at a time, be gentle on yourself.  You will survive!

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »

Hi Newsystemgirl and welcome  :)
I can only post based on my own experience but my emotional well-being was by far the worst of my symptoms when I first travelled the road that is peri-menopause!  I saw a wonderful nurse who sat and talked to me for ages and it was on her suggestion that I started on the HRT route.  She explained that in a lot of cases that can be enough to get you over the worst of it and I was lucky in that it worked straight away for me.  Find a good GP or practice nurse who can take you through the various options.
Good luck  :foryou: