Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: premique 0.625/5mg  (Read 8369 times)

LindaS0759

premique 0.625/5mg
« on: January 21, 2017, 09:01:53 PM »

I have been taking Premique for some years now. And I have been absolutely fine on it. It controls night sweats and hot flushes and I have had no problems with breakthrough bleeding or anything. However, I have now been told that the manufacturers have stopped making it, and I have tried to get some all over the place, rang different pharmacies, online pharmacies etc. So, clearly it cannot be got from anywhere! the question is what can I get to replace it? Can anyone advise me?? I am 58 years old, I have tried to stop taking it before a few times, but found the symptoms came back with a vengeance. If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful. Thank you in anticipation.

bramble

Re: premique 0.625/5mg
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:18:29 PM »

Does the same apply to the low dose version? You may still be able to get that.

Bramble

A BUNGLE over paperwork by the world's leading manufacturer of hormone replacement therapy has left hundreds of thousands of women unable to obtain its flagship products.

Wyeth, based in Pennsylvania, failed to get clearance from the UK medicines regulator before introducing changes to the manufacturing process of Prempak C and Premique, which are among the UK market leaders in combined HRT. The make-up of the medicines has not changed.

Supplies to chemists' shops are drying up but the regulator has not made any public statement to doctors or women using the tablets about the hiatus in supply. The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency refused to confirm the problem until the end of last week.

Dana

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »

I know you said you are happy on the premique but it is one of the old fashioned HRTs now. As you get older it's advisable to switch to either patches or gels. You can get combined patches (like the premique) or you could try an estrogen only patch or gel and take a separate progesterone or progestin. Maybe use this situation to experiment with other options. There are a lot to choose from.

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:42:04 PM »

Health Express (reliable and completely legitimate UK online pharmacy) has them. If you're happy on them Linda, don't feel pressured to switch. Finding an HRT that's right for you is a wonderful thing (and not always easy, as many of us know)! Here you go:

https://www.healthexpress.co.uk/hrt/treatment/premique

xxxx

Dana

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 11:01:23 PM »

Not pressuring. Just offering a suggestion.

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 11:09:28 PM »

;) No problems, Dana! It's just HRT can be a minefield as you know, and my Consultant says that although the newer transdermals are preferable, some ladies only do well on oral HRT's such as CEE's or oral estrogen and this is fine provided they are monitored regularly.  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »

Hi LindaS0759

:welcomemm:

Hope you get sorted! How many years have you been taking it? I do agree with Dana though - depending on how long you've been on it personally I would think about changing to transermal HRT as you approach 60 - if you are looking to continue with it long term, as this is the main HRT that all the (well flawed) studies were conducted with and the risk info is based on. It does depend on your general health overall too - ie weight, exercise, alcohol, smoking, diet etc - so if all of these are good then at least you will be at lower risk of long term problems due to the HRT, than otherwise.

As you say Tempest - it is the monitoring which is crucial but sadly not always available everywhere...

Hurdity x

LindaS0759

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »

Hi everyone, thank you for your replies.

I have not tried any other types of HRT and I have been on Premique for about 10 years, I'm not keen on the idea of patches as I have sensitive skin and think they could cause a rash as Elastoplast and even cold sore patches do, as well as certain shower gels, moisturisers etc. I feel that I am reasonably fit and healthy, I don't drink alcohol or smoke, my BP is fine - I keep and eye on it myself, I'm not diabetic, had bloods done a few months back all tine, I had mammogram November 2016 and smear test 2015, all ok. I am overweight though - like my chocolate too much LOL. I work full time as a nurse at the local hospital, walking up and down all day keeps me quite fit. And I own a dog.

Bramble, thanks for the suggestion, and yes I would be prepared to try the lower dose Premique, but I have read that the low dose Premique has been discontinued also - apparently this became unavailable well before the higher dose Premique that I am on. Thanks to Tempest for the link to Healthexpress.co.uk - they claim to have the low dose Premique in stock, but it costs to buy it privately, something I'm prepared to do if I really can't get Premique on prescription or a suitable alternative.  However, two other on line pharmacies accepted my order and then told me they could not get it after all and others do not have it in stock. A suitable alternative is what I'm really after.

bramble

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 10:25:36 PM »

An alternative might be to take the progesterone MPA which is available in tablet form along with the gel and see how you get on. That way you would only be changing one half.

Bramble

Annemaria

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 12:35:18 AM »

Hi Linda,
I'm on Premarin .625 and Apo-hydroxy 2.5. I'm also 58 and have been on this hrt for 7yrs. and has worked perfectly for me. I have tried different preparations to get on the bio-identical wagon and went straight back a few months later to Premarin. Premique and Premarin are pretty much same formula I believe.
Good luck!
Annemarie

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »

An alternative might be to take the progesterone MPA which is available in tablet form along with the gel and see how you get on. That way you would only be changing one half.

Bramble

That sounds like a good plan :)

Hurdity x

Leofan

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »

I am 59 and found premique really worked for me. Had been taking it for 8 years but after reading this forum I decided 2 months ago to try estrogel and utrogestan as I wanted a regime I could take safely for many years. It's taken me a while to adjust but I think I'm there. I take two pumps of estrogel and utrogestan 100 daily.

My 81 year old mother has been on premique for over 30 years and has been prescribed elleste by her gp as she too is struggling to find premique anywhere. That might also be worth considering.

Dana

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 10:20:24 PM »

I just have to say Leofan that it's wonderful to hear that your mother's gp is happy to continue prescribing hrt to her regardless of what kind. I hope I am lucky enough to continue having a doctor who is willing to support my choice to stay on hrt for as long as I want as opposed to how long they want.

Leofan

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 12:07:30 PM »

Dana.. My mother is a very strong minded woman! Several gps over the years have tried to take her off hrt particularly after the 2002 scare but she has steadfastly refused. She just tells them to stop bullying her. I also intend to stay on hrt for as long as I want.. This will be interesting as every time I see my gp the 'we need to get you off hrt' chat becomes longer and more serious. So I totally understand where you are coming from. 

Gay Mould

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 04:24:42 PM »

I am 59 and found premique really worked for me. Had been taking it for 8 years but after reading this forum I decided 2 months ago to try estrogel and utrogestan as I wanted a regime I could take safely for many years. It's taken me a while to adjust but I think I'm there. I take two pumps of estrogel and utrogestan 100 daily.

My 81 year old mother has been on premique for over 30 years and has been prescribed elleste by her gp as she too is struggling to find premique anywhere. That might also be worth considering.