Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: what's happening  (Read 4784 times)

ngibbons

what's happening
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »

Hi i had a period which ended on 27 December 2016.it was normal . I then started again on 2 Jan 2017  (1 week later) and have now been bleeding for 2 weeks. Can any one advise  im 45 this year thanks x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: what's happening
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  ::)

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:33:29 PM »

Probably either a blip in your cycle or your hormones changing as you head into perimenopause. There are other issues that can cause long or frequent bleeds, but one event shouldn't be reason to worry.

Having been through irregular bleeding already, I would advise not to worry at the moment unless you are bleeding heavily. My hospital uses "completely soaking a pad per hour" to define heavy bleeding worthy of being seen, but you'll have to judge for yourself if your bleeding is so heavy you think you need an emergency visit. Now, assuming it's not that heavy, I would put in a call to the doctor because if it doesn't let up or happens again, they'll likely want to investigate things before assuming it's the beginnings of menopause. A call or visit now will hopefully have you further along in that process down the road.

Meantime, be sure you're getting plenty of iron in your diet, as these crazy periods can lead to anemia, which strangely can lead to more crazy bleeds.

Have a look under the menu at the top of the page. There's loads of informative menopause stuff there. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask. We're a friendly bunch!

nearly50

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »

Getting a bit confusing on these threads, on one of the others the OP is thinking she might be pregnant and its implantation bleeding. Does that last for 2 weeks?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:02:08 PM »

Hi ngibbons

:welcomemm:

I agree with Lizab - one of the first things some women experience is periods becoming more frequent - sometimes due to what is known as anovulatory bleeding - where you do not ovulate but the lining builds up and comes away sporadicallt. Sometimes just before peri-menopause cycles get shorter as well.

Have a read about bleeding problems on this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/heavyperiods.php (also sub tabs - look at top left tab - Menopause - green banner). Various treatments are suggested: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

Also an article about peri-menopause which might be helpful:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

If you are worried then phone your doc.

Hurdity x

ngibbons

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:36:12 PM »

Thanks everyone. As I've had two periods that close together would it be common for me to now miss a period.

nearly50

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 08:50:29 PM »

Who knows is the short answer. Ive had quite a few occasions with only a day or two between periods and only on one of those occasions did I skip a period. When I skipped a few periods I hadn't had two close together beforehand. This could just be a blip though and not perimenopause, but if it is then expect the unexpected.

Lizab

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 10:39:12 PM »

As nearly50 said, who knows? I had close together periods for quite some time, until they practically ran from one into another. Then skipped several months, then had regular monthly for a few months before skipping became the norm for me. Really anything goes if you're approaching menopause.