Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Another new member  (Read 1618 times)

Tiredandforgetful

Another new member
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:58:18 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this game, well not to the symptoms (I've had them for two years) but to getting a correct diagnosis. My first diagnosis was stress and the second was depression. I recently found out (through a failed attempt at donating my eggs) that my FSH levels are sky high and AMH (I think 😕) on the floor and that menopause would be within the next year. I'm glad at least that I now know why I feel so tired, low, am completely lacking any energy, my memory sucks, have zero sex drive and I'm having trouble sleeping/night sweats. I am on day 5 of HRT, I'm worried about a couple of things not least how the green pills are going to affect me after reading some of the comments on here. I also don't want any more facial hair thank you.

😊

cubagirl

Re: Another new member
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:11:12 PM »

:welcomemm:

I'm no help as on oestrogen only. Others will be along to help.

Salad

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 10:36:54 PM »

:welcomemm:

Another Oestrogen only user. Might take a little while to feel the benefit of your regime but hang in there  :)

Tiredandforgetful

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »

Yes I'm prepared for it possibly taking 3 months for the full benefit but I'm hoping I feel a bit of an improvement soon. Not sleeping gives me a groggy headache 🤕

Captain

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 09:57:43 AM »

Tired and forgetful sums a lot of us up I imagine. I'm only a few days ahead of you on HRT. Also taking vit D supplements as I was deficient. Some degree of clarity of thought beginning to kick in, but that may well be a placebo effect. Hang on in there, and here - it's so reassuring to read posts from people that are dealing with what you're trying to manage. It's lonely trying to figure it all out on your own!

Tiredandforgetful

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »

Thanks Captain. I was also low in vit D and iron. Is that common with peri menopause?

I know what you mean about the placebo effect, when the first dr told me I had stress but was low in vitamin D I started taking it religiously and tried to talk myself into thinking it was working, it clearly wasn't - not on its own. A year later when I went back to another dr and he told me it was depression but I was low in iron I then stacked up on that as well. I think it did help a little but, again, it wasn't going to be the cure. I'm thankful I didn't believe either of them so didn't get any medication though. When I told the doctor at the fertility clinic that I'd been to the drs twice about my symptoms she rolled her eyes and asked if they were male. They were. This tells be its not uncommon to be misdiagnosed which is terrible. To think two years I was struggling and it would have been significantly longer if I hadn't affected to donate eggs for my sis. 🙁

Captain

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 05:30:28 PM »

It's frightening to think that whether you have a male of female GP is part of the lottery of getting the right treatment. Not sure if low iron and vit D go hand and hand with peri menopause. During my peri phase, both were fine. But vit d plunged once FSH spiked 18 months after last period so must be some connection. Worth asking for them to be checked as part of the Pre HRT bloods.
Donating eggs is a magnificent thing to offer to do, sorry it wasn't a success for you and your sister.

Tiredandforgetful

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »

I'm. It sure how high FSH goes or How low AMH go but I'm at 24 and 0.7 respectively. I'm 39.
The whole experience was bitter sweet in a way. On the one hand (and most importantly) it was really disappointing that I couldn't help my sister but on the other hand at least I finally knew what was wrong. Bless my sister she was with me and she did so well at hiding how upset she was.

Happytobe

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »

Just a word about vit D both myself and my 18 yr old daughter, 85 yr old mum and quite a few others I have heard about recently are deficient. I have read that a large proportion of the northern hemisphere are deficient because of the relatively low level of sunlight. I think lots more knowledge about the effects of deficiency  are now known and GPS seem to be doing much more checking for levels than they used to. I don't know the relationship between peri and vit d but I do know a deficit can cause tiredness amongst quite a few other things.