Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hi there, am new  (Read 2796 times)

samweller161

Hi there, am new
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »

Hi there, am new  :)
Currently 2 years into menopause, 2mg Elleste Duet just increased from 1mg.  Age 50 and the only one of my friends not to be sailing through it  :'(
Interestingly though, these are my non working friends (or at least not full time), my colleagues of a similar age are all on tablets or patches!
Have been reading as many of the posts as I can - it seems a life saver

xx

ancient runner

Re: Hi there, am new
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »

Love your user name. Sadly don't think there's a smirk emoji on the site so this will have to do for a welcome.  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:46:27 PM »

Hi Smirking Pixie !!!!

:welcomemm:

When you say you are 2 years into menopause - do you mean it is 2 years since your last natural period or two years since they went awry? Anyway - hopefully the tablets are working for you - don't forget your friends may be at a different stage from you. When I was 50 I was not at peri-menopause - which probably started at 52 for me. The age is very variable. Some women are fortunate not to experience symptoms - but  those who don't have symptoms but reach menopause before the age of 51/52 (the average age) should take HRT anyway to help protect bones and heart etc. In a way the symptoms are helpful - to tell your body that you are missing oestrogen - so you will then think about replacing it, and give yourself some benefits for several years - as well as quality of life :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »

:welcomemm:  do stop comparing yourself to others, although what you describe is interesting in that those in work are 'struggling'.

Browse round.  Make notes.  You'll see that there are similarities and differences in how each of us is affected by The Change  :sigh:.  Ask anything you like.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »

Yes CLKD - that's it! If you work full-time or part-time with a family - you don't have time to lie around on the sofa mopping away the sweat from your brow saying woe is me  ;D. Seriously though - if is an important factor - it is what led me to start HRT - all those meetings and cardigan flinging on and off and horrible red cheeks and neck as flushes appeared, and all this after tossing and turning with insufficient sleep and two stroppy teenage boys to cope with - no thanks! We all have to be practical - and if you need to work/have a family - then you have to cope, although as you get to late 50's perhaps time to re-visit lifestyle and work to reduce stress - good thing anyway to do :)

Hurdity x

samweller161

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »

Thanks ladies - I started having some night sweats when I was about 48 so went on 1 mg HRT in Jan 2015.  That has seemed to work until last few months when sweats came back (not too bad but enough) plus the memory loss!  Honestly, it has been a sudden but total brain fog.  Doc suggested increasing to 2mg which has certainly seemed to help.
I think the issue might be that the work colleagues have not had children whereas the other friends who are ok, have done?  Am not sure this is a theory though, it's just what I've noticed  ::)

SP X

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »

Hi - Notwithstanding your own observations - I wouldn't have thought having children has anything to do with the intensity of menopausal symptoms  :-\ - except you have more to juggle if you have  children at home and are working - so would be more likely to want to take something to alleviate menopausal symptoms since you can't come home and flop! Not sure if there has been any research on it. Interesting topic though!

Hurdity x

wombat62

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 10:25:28 AM »

Hi

Just for info....I've not had kids and not got off lightly at all! I never had any problems with periods, pmt being on the pill but meno has paid me back lol!

It's a mystery why some sail through it and other suffer so badly. My mum didn't have many problems so that doesn't make sense either!

My hormones just seem the be continually up and down despite being 5 years post....arghhhh!

Good luck with your journey, at least you know you aren't alone on here!

KatyB

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 11:22:02 AM »

Hi Smirking Pixie, I have been known to wonder whether having kids makes menopause worse, as both my sisters seem to have got through fine, while I, who is the only one with kids, have not! But to be honest I suspect its just who you know well. Although I do have a friend who was starting premature menopause (in her late 20's) and was advised to get pregnant if she could, as it would reset her hormones....and she did have two kids naturally. As I say, I don't think kids determines who finds it easy or not....

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »

Hi again Smirking Pixie - well you've got us all confused - because you said you were new but you're not!  You joined and posted a couple of years ago! I was looking at a different thread from a few days ago and there was a post by you edited by someone else but you have just introduced yourself as new  :-\. I presume you've just had a name change but not sure why you've introduced yourself as new to the forum?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »

I had heavy, bloody, clotting painful periods for years.  I am childless by choice.  So far Menopause hasn't been too bad  ;)

Maybe Pixie couldn't find her original threads, it is OK to re-introduce oneself if there's been a gap.  She mentioned brain fog after all  ::) (and somewhere we have threads about that too!)

samweller161

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »

Hurdity

I joined but then wanted to change my user name - I thought it would be a new profile and/or the old one would vanish so I thought I would start again!  Apols to confuse everybody  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »

Ah I see thanks for explaining - I was somewhat confused! When anyone changes their user display name all the posts change to that name and then goes back to your original name if you leave the forum! I must say I do like your current name - especially the smirking bit - and I hope you feel as good as your smirk!!! It is one of those fairy names by any chance?

Hurdity x

samweller161

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, and again sorry for confusing everybody

One of the songs which always makes me smile is Laughing Gnome by David Bowie - I didn't want to brazenly copy it so thought Smirking Pixie was an alternative!  Don't judge me - i know I am a sad sack!

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 12:54:14 PM »

;D  - no need to apologise - it was probably only me :)

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2