Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 3rd time lucky?  (Read 1473 times)

KatyB

3rd time lucky?
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »

Hi I was diagnosed perimenopausal about 6 months ago. I'm 53. Last period was about 8 months ago, but had been irregular, with severe night sweats and hot flushes. Initially assumed these were a side effect of Champix (prescription drug to help me give up smoking, which so far is successful). I stopped Champix (which affects nicotine receptors, so endocrine system) but the rest didn't stop. Started on Ellest duet 1mg (great for night and flushes but massive water retention), currently on Femoston 1/10mg. Sweats coming back or getting worse, and have added sore / swollen joints in hands and feet and really pretty severe depression in second half of the pack (the progestin part!). Currently trying to decide between oestrogen and progestesterone or considering a mirena  coil. Haven't told the doctor this yet! Finding the information and experience on the forum very helpful - its a minefield!

Hurdity

Re: 3rd time lucky?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 05:41:35 PM »

Hi KatyB

:welcomemm: !  Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your HRT.  Maybe a transdermal one would suit you better? Some of the progestogen is absorbed into the sytem from the Mirena but of course it is not digested and does not go through the liver so maybe better in that respect - although the progestogen in Femoston is one the the best tolerated ( of the oral progestogens). With the Mirena you could then find an oestrogen dose to suit you - that eliminated flushes and sweats (with patch or gel). Alternatively as you suggest you could try oestrogen and progesterone itself ( available as utrogestan) - which can be used vaginally off licence for women who experience side effects from oral use. Best to try each type for 3 months to give side effects a chance to subside.

All the types are listed under Treatments/HRT preparations - top tabs!

Well done with giving up smoking - one of the best things you can do at this point in your life - for your future health :)

Hope this helps and good luck with your choices - hope you find something suitable!

Hurdity x

KatyB

Re: 3rd time lucky?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:17:09 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, you're always so good at phrasing things clearly! Yes, I think non-oral route is what I need to try....