Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Told off for halving patch. Estradiol dropped to 90 pmols.  (Read 9177 times)

Joesmum

Told off for halving patch. Estradiol dropped to 90 pmols.
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:51:13 PM »

I ran out of my usual 50mcg EVOREL patches and by mistake was given 100mcgs patches with my new prescription.

I didn't worry too much and just decided to cut them in half. BIG MISTAKE!!!

Over the last 4 weeks my estradiol levels have plummeted to 90 pmols ! My mood isn't too bad but I am sooo dizzy!

I'm now wearing a 50mcg patch and waiting for my levels to be restored back to there usual 275 pmols.

My endo once told me not to cut patches in half. He said it mucks about with the matrix. Others may be able to but it won't be something I'll be doing again.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:53:50 PM by Joesmum »

Dana

Re: Told off for halving patch. Estradiol dropped to 90 pmols.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »

Estradot 50 patches are a bit hard to get here at the moment (although stock is coming through in dribs and drabs) and I asked two pharmacists about cutting 100s in half and both said it's not a good idea because it's very hard to get both halves equal and you also have one raw edge that is not meant to be exposed.

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »

My GP said OK to half.  ::)

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:08:10 PM »

Hi, Joesmum!

I've read over at Hystersisters that ladies have had this happen with the matrix 'leaking' along the cut edge. What a tough way to learn though! I do hope you start feeling better soon. You're a wee soul! xxxxx

Just as a matter of interest, Cubagirl - did I read that you're able to use just a half of a 25mcg Estradot per week? Does this offer any symptom control at all? I always like to hear input from other ladies who have had oopherectomies. Hope you don't mind me asking! :)

cubagirl

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:34:42 AM »

Hi Tempest, Well I recently tried to come off altogether, for the umpteenth time I should add.  ::) Oh boy not ready for that yet.   Anyways I have restarted my half x 25mg patch & have started feeling better again.

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »

You wee soul, Cubagirl! Well, I'm very pleased that you're starting feeling better again. That's good news! :)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 06:18:39 PM »

Cutting is fine! Personally I can't see that it would make much difference.  :-\ It was only the old reservoir patches that were not supposed to be cut.  Most gynaes say it's OK - even for combi patches like Evorel conti. It is not an exact science anyway - OK your levels might vary a teeny bit - but they do anyway with patches - the level rises to a peak and then gradually declines over the next few days. Levels also vary from morning to night ( there is a diurnal rhythm etc).

However I can't explain why your levels dropped after cutting a 100 mcg patch (coincidence - or perhaps they were dropping anyway?) but as I said they will vary anyway and mostly it is not necessary to measure blood levels. Maybe they did not stick so well - I cut one of my patches to give a slightly larger amount and it doesn't stick so well - keep having to press it down! I regularly cut a 37.5 mcg patch into approx 3 and add one bit to my 50 mcg patch!!!

Hope things level out for you soon :)

Hurdity x

Tempest

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »

It's interesting that Novartis say in the pack leaflet for Estradot 'do not use scissors when opening pouch. You may accidentally cut and DESTROY the patch'. It's interesting particularly that they choose to use the word 'destroy' and not 'damage', which would imply that they consider the patch to be rendered useless if it's cut. I'm guessing the leaflet is similar in Evorel, Joesmum? It would be interesting to see how the manufacturers of that particular patch word it.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:58 PM »

Hello Joesmum.

I have been guilty of cutting my patches in the past and various GPs have said the matrix design meant it was   okay to do so.
 I am impressed that you usually get 275 pmols from a 50mg patch as I was only getting 90 pmols from mine. No wonder I was/am a basket case lol.

Wishing you well.

K.

Jasmine_2015

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »

I know this is an old thread but just wondered, for those that half the patches, do you throw away the other half or use it afterwards? Thanks in advance!

racjen

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 08:46:45 PM »

Use it afterwards, why on earth would you throw it away? I've been assured by pharmacists that these patches are designed to have a stable non-liquid content, so cutting them in half isn't going to result in leakage or contamination somehow. Just leave the other half in the packet and use it next time.

jgr

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 08:49:32 PM »

I was told by meno clinic ok to cut patch ( evoril conti) and have been doing so for over 7 years

Jasmine_2015

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 06:02:13 AM »

Thank you very much!