Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Forward Planning  (Read 9364 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Forward Planning
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »

One only gets 30 mins. at the crem anyway, unless 1 pays a lot more  ::)

Dorothy

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 09:12:31 PM »

I wrote a plan for my funeral when I was in my early 30s - partly because I lost a close friend at that age which reminded me that we don't all necessarily make it to threescore and ten and partly because my grandmother worked herself into such a state worrying what my grandfather 'would have wanted'.  I get it out and update it every 5 years or so, but at the top, I've written that these are just my suggestions and whoever is left behind is free to totally ignore if he/she wishes!

I'm obviously an odd one out here, because I find funerals helpful although painful.  I always struggle to accept someone has gone, and somehow seeing the coffin makes it sink in.  Also, you often find out things at the funeral that you wouldn't otherwise have known about someone - we asked a young man from my dad's church to do a reading at the service, and just before he started reading, he said 'I hope you don't mind if I share my own memory' and spoke for a few minutes about how much dad had helped and encouraged him when he was going through a really tough time and how he would never forget the support & advice dad had given him -  we had no idea dad had been so significant in his life & it was something we would probably never have found out without the funeral.

For my dad's funeral, we had the cremation first followed by a service of thanksgiving.  A few people were shocked that we did it the 'wrong way round', but I felt it was so much better, as we got the really horrible part out of the way first and could then focus on the good memories.  It also felt much less disjointed moving straight from the service into the tea & nibbles part, instead of having people hanging round waiting for close family to come back from the crematorium/graveyard.  I've been to a few funerals since then that had it that way round, so obviously we can't be the only ones who think that way.

I hated the 'social' part after, but that was mostly because I got stuck talking to a load of people who didn't know me or my dad that well and just wanted to talk about themselves & their own bereavements - if I could have spent the time with just our old family friends, it would have been more helpful.

I can understand finding funerals pointless if they are full of people who weren't that connected to the person in their lifetime, but most of the ones I've been to have been full of people who genuinely cared.  I had an 'adopted' auntie (no relation, but she was my grandma's best friend, so I always called her auntie) who died at 93, and I found it incredibly moving to go to a service with over 100 people of all ages gathering together to celebrate her life. 

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 03:04:56 PM »

Mum has told me that she wants her Service the 'right' way round  ::) as she knows that not many of her contemporaries will be able to make it to the crem but would get to the Church (or Chapel, she attends both each week  :D).

We have certainly found out a lot about relatives that we were never told whilst growing up.  As for dress code, anyone who wears black to my Service, I will haunt them afterwards  ;).  Despite depression I try to be upbeat and see something nice every day, so please wear bright colours !!!

cubagirl

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »

I wanted to buy a funeral plan, but my family were horrified, hubby included.  They know I dislike fuss, but say that it is their responsibility to make sure I am sent off decently.  I have left it at that.  Hence my notebook, which states my preferences.  Not sure I like the sound of direct cremation though, but will read up on it more.

Hubby & I did see one thing which did appeal, but no idea as to cost.  You are buried in a pod, not a coffin, on land where a tree or trees can be planted above you.  The pod seemed a bit gross to start with, but made sense, pod decomposes over time in a natural fashion & in effect you are feeding the tree above you.  At least that's how we understand it.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »

Maybe have a talk with a Funeral Director or go along to a Natural Burial Site and ask the question?  I want cremation because it takes up less space, a tree can still be planted but it might not live anyway and we have no relatives that would visit to put flowers on - which the rabbits would probably eat  ::).

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »

Did a quick GOOGLE, as you do:

List of Natural Burial Grounds
The world of natural burial is very varied, and largely unregulated, but those sites that belong to the Association of Natural Burial Grounds are all bound by our Code of Conduct, aimed at ensuring the highest professional and environmental standards.

In acknowledgement of this, the Natural Death Centre runs The People's Awards for the best Natural Burial Ground in the UK, celebrating the personal attention to detail and support given by the staff at natural burial grounds, which makes such a difference to bereaved families.

Ju Ju

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »

In theory Ju Ju leaving it to those left behind might sound a good idea ... but in reality can you imagine the squabbles it might trigger? Better to make your wishes known to your next of kin I think.

P :) No, I can't imagine them squabbling! We are a close knit family and support each other.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 07:51:46 PM »

Oh mine will squabble - I'll be watching though  ;)  ;D

bramble

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 09:27:45 PM »

Hi Cubagirl. A natural burial site is the one I have chosen. The choice is in grassland, on a bank with a view of the river or in a wood. All in the same burial site. You are only allowed a tablet made of local or river stone in the woodland bit. Either a burial or ashes, casket your choice and wicker ones would be more natural for a burial. Quite an interesting topic really.

B.

cubagirl

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 10:23:57 PM »

Hubby went to a funeral where deceased was in a wicker coffin & placed out in the countryside. He couldn't get his head around it at first, but says it makes sense.

babyjane

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »

cubagirl that is my wish and how it is done at our local woodland burial site.  I have been to 2 funerals conducted there, the parents of a family friend, and they were lovely way to say goodbye.

This is a fact and does not represent my opinion, families of the deceased who come to the funeral home with their loved ones wishes clear, or written down do far better than those whose loved ones have passed (usually suddenly) with no idea of their final wishes.  They don't necessarily squabble but they are at a loss to decide simple things like music, flowers, donations, sometimes even cremation or burial whilst processing their loss.  It is just a fact I have seen from my experience working with the funeral profession and many times I have heard the words "what do you think he/she would have liked".

Being able to execute their loved ones final wishes is the last thing they can do for them and it does help.

As I said, fact and not my personal opinion.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 01:06:28 PM »

Do make sure that you aren't required to pay for the memorial tablet annually!  Apparently this happens at our local Crem..

ariadne

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 05:03:04 PM »

I don't want a funeral service myself. I didn't realise this was even an option until I read somewhere about direct cremation. However, I realise the funeral is for the living so when I get round to making an advance directive, I will just state my preference but leave the final decision to family in case they are unhappy with it.

My mother in law, who has pre paid for her funeral, told us a story of an elderly friend who decided to enjoy his funeral while still alive. He arranged a party where he dressed first as a hospital patient, danced around for a while before disappearing and reappearing dressed as an undertaker. Bit more dancing around before disappearing again and reappearing dressed as an angel. A good time was had by all 😁

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »

I know of someone who had a coffin made to use as a coffee table  ::) - until the time came.

Dorothy

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 08:08:56 PM »

My dad didn't pre-plan his funeral as he always said funerals were for those left behind and he didn't want to impose his views on anyone else.  I wondered what on earth would happen as Mum & I are very different and don't have much common ground, but the weird thing was, I'd say 'what about this' and she'd say 'oh, yes, I was just thinking that' and then she'd say 'I thought of this' and I'd say 'so did I'!!!  Readings, hymns, order of service, we thought alike on everything.  And funnily enough, there was one reading and one hymn which were special to us as a family, but not widely known, yet 2 people quoted the reading in sympathy cards and three people quoted the hymn...before anyone other than me and mum knew that was what we had chosen.  It was a lovely confirmation that we'd chosen right for dad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3