Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Depression and anxiety peri, circumstantial or both  (Read 4563 times)

jorainbow

Depression and anxiety peri, circumstantial or both
« on: December 31, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »

I've been in peri I think for the last couple of years.  Periods still regular but suffering on and off from VA, increased anxiety and low mood and a hairy chin some of the symptoms. I have been having huge marital problems (husband of 9 mths on a dating site) and was starting to feel worse and then bam - literally, I lost control of my car Xmas Eve in the wind and flipped it on its side. Came out unscathed as not going fast but scary nonetheless. I'm approaching my period and have suddenly plummeted into horrendous anxiety and low mood along with period pains but nothing happening.  I don't know if this is shock, hormones or a lovely combination of the two but I don't like it.

Pam Madra

Re: Depression and anxiety peri, circumstantial or both
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 09:57:55 AM »

Sorry to hear all this and fully understand your pain today as I have hit rock bottom with my periods today as well and being peri and trying HRT this month which has not kicked or helped me. Yes hormones are the culprits and as periods come near we suffer more and more. The hormones are really low I think and just makes things worse. Along with anxiety comes fearful feeling nausea and the list goes on with it. Hope in 2017 some issues are solved.

jorainbow

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 10:32:13 AM »

Thank you for your hugs. I hate anxiety it's awful - the nausea, the constant spaced out feeling, aching arms then floods of tears. One minute ok the next I'm going to be committed!!!!

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:12:39 PM »

Hello jorainbow.

So sorry to read about your accident, that would be enough to unsettle anyone.

Your hormonal issues sound depressingly familiar and you are not the only one who thinks they should be locked up lol!

Take care.

K.

jorainbow

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »

Yes this time of year is pants. I wish I could hibernate! !!! This afternoon I've bounced back the fog has lifted and I feel quite ok so making the most of it.

Kathleen - thanks for the chuckle 😂😂

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »

It really is ups and downs  >:( bugga!

How badly damaged is the car?

Pam Madra

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 07:59:39 PM »

Does pms get bad as we approach menopause. I am really feeing the heat of it as my periods came two days ago. I am on tibolone only and do bleed ( a bit irregular) but on the first day of the period I hit rock bottom all together. Anxiety fear through the roof and crying one minute positive other minute worried. Does this all happen more during period days?

Pam Madra

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »

has anxiety bothered you during pms or increase during this phase of time.

Pam Madra

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »

that is me too. Wonder why this happens and how it changes. are you taking any form of hrt for it or anything else to help you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 05:11:43 PM »

HORMONES  >:(

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »

Hi jorainbow

Sorry to hear about your accident and increasing pms - glad you are OK (aside from husband problems...).

Yes pms does seem to get worse as we approach peri-menopause - and often this happens even before cycle changes occur - because hormones begin to change while the ovaries are still functioning well. This can be a difficult stage to treat. Some women find HRT does help but others do not because oestrogen surges very high sometimes  in the late reproductive stage (so I've read). Others find that controlling their cycle with the pill is the best option - but this does involve large doses of synthetic progestogens which not all women cope with.

Since blood sugar is in my head after reading another thread - do make sure you try to stabilise this as much as possible through diet as this can upset things pre-menstrually when pms is worsening. I remember this as my number 1 symptom during the late repro stage - I hadn't even heard of peri-menopause but always used to get weak and shaky in the week leading up to my period, but without really understanding why.

Hurdity x

jorainbow

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 05:39:21 AM »

Morning and thanks for the replies!

CKLD - car a write off which is a shame as I liked it but it's a car and can be replaced  (car shopping at the moment )

Hurdity -thank you for your wise words as ever. I have noticed my anxiety decreasing the last couple if days as I'm increasing my food even if little and often so I'm sure blood sugars are at play too. I've switched to decaff tea to try help too.

Speaking to a couple of people who have had accidents some of this is delayed shock and quite common. I think my husbands behaviour over the last 3 months certainly plays a huge part. Add in hormones and I accept at the minute things aren't goI'd but am remaining as positive as possible. I appreciate all your support xx

Babsm67

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »

Hello Jorainbow,  I haven't been on the forum as much recently & have been reading posts this morning (catching up).  So sorry to read about everything that has happened & just wanted to send  :hug: xx

jorainbow

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 06:51:50 AM »

Thought I'd give a positive update!  Anxiety levels have decreased dramatically though period not arrived yet! GP thinks more than likely delayed shock.I have reduced my caffeine intake and tried to keep my blood sugars stabilised and I think that has helped.  Still a bit weepy but more like my usual PMT symptoms.  As I get better I'm going to go talk to a counsellor about my husband and the crap that was happening pre accident.  We're in limbo at the minute but my priority is me and my health and well being.  He seems to think we're ok and I may have forgotten.  Hhm 😂😂😂

jorainbow

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »

And just when I though I was on the up anxiety levels sky high and weepy. Period just finished so hoping it's just that but my mind is going all over the place. Fed up 😯😯