Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How much exercise do you need to beat the menopause belly?  (Read 6783 times)

Noheroicsplease

How much exercise do you need to beat the menopause belly?
« on: January 13, 2017, 07:19:42 PM »

I'm not big but I'm definitely wider than I was a year ago, with thicker thighs and a small but definite menopause belly.

I do 2 x HITT classes a week. 1 hour a time. Hard work. I walk my dog 2/3 times a week, 1 hour a time. I try to do another HITT routine at home, for 20-30 mins a time.

I don't eat sugar, wheat or drink. I'm eat lots of protein, grains and greens. I eat more than I ever did after reading that too little around now can have the adverse effect on weight loss/gain.

Nothing is changing!! Do I need to cut back on cals and exercise more? I've just started HRT. Are there any supplements I can take?

nearly50

Re: How much exercise do you need to beat the menopause belly?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »

I think it is more down to the calories you consume than the exercise you do at this stage. I'm not sure about eating more to lose weight. I walk for at least an hour a day and very rarely snack. I eat a lot less than most people I know, luckily never had a huge appetite or been that interested in food. I weigh 7 stone 12 but even so my body shape is changing and I no longer have a completely flat stomach. I have bloating issues which makes my stomach look pretty big sometimes. I am not sure there's much can be done about that though.

Maybe you could use a calorie tracker or fitbit type device to track how you're doing?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 08:10:43 PM »

I regularly weight and measure myself to keep track, and keep myself on track - so have you put on weight? After menopause thighs tend to be thinner as well as hips smaller - but waist and midriff get bigger. Less oestrogen means less collagen so things get a bit floppier - muscles etc - so perhaps this is what you are noticing. I think as well as watching what you eat - targeted exercises are the way to go - so abs exercises to keep those tummy muscles strong so that you can hold it in - even if there is a bit of excess flab. Also posture - stand tall, shoulders down and back, stomach and bottom held in - and you will look and feel better without doing anything else :)

I am lucky as I don't have a belly but it does tend to go a bit more rounded and harder to keep pulled in if I stop the exercises.  Hmm yes not sure about eating more - what are you eating more of? You should never eat more than your appetite but you can pretty much eat unlimited veg and a fair amount of fruit without weight/fat gain. The only thing is you should not eat substantially fewer calories than you need as your metabolism can slow (so called "starvation mode") but you'd need to be pretty hungry for this to occur I would say!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop off, muscles may become lax = aches and pains
As oestrogen levels drop off, muscles may become lax = belly
As oestrogen levels drop off the body may dry, inside and out = vaginal atrophy, itchy skin etc. etc. etc. ::)

About 2 years ago my belly dropped, that is my apron sagged due to the above lack of oestrogen.  I haven't put on any weight!

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:01:30 PM »

Looking back on this thread - funnily enough, it's my thighs and hips that seem wider. Yes, my tummy is a bit flabbier but it's the other bits that look chunkier.

Why is it my hips/thighs, not tummy?

I've taken on board what people said and am eating less.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 07:08:52 PM »

Eating less: why?  :-\

Unless you have proper exercise aimed at loss of muscle density you are unlikely to regain the flat stomach that you had prior to loss of oestrogen  ::).  One needs calories to burn off calories!

nearly50

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »

One needs calories to burn off calories!

I don't understand this. Surely the important thing is eating the right sort of food, and making sure you don't consume more calories than you burn.

Menomale

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »

My belly comes and goes, depending on hormones, exercise (just walks) and digestive issues. When I am too worried about my father's situation I stop eating solids then in a couple of days my belly goes away.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I am not starving - NEVER - but just keeping to three healthy meals a day. Trying not to snack (my downfall).

And trying to ensure I burn off more than I eat! Some days easier than others...

But I just don't understand why hips/thighs are chunkier! All meno evidence points to tummy

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 08:16:52 PM »

Muscle can build muscle.  What types of exercise to you do and how regularly?  Maybe go to a Leisure Centre in your area to see if there is a qualified instructor who could give advice as to what is suitable for you right now? 

Exactly - eat enough to burn off calories but dieting doesn't work that way ...... if one starves the body it will start to hoard in order to keep warm  ::).  Walking regularly is important as well as listening to your body, because it needs nourishment as well as sustenance ...... for me it's knowing how close B4 and after exercise that I ought to eat  :-\

Menomale

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 08:36:28 PM »

Not hips but thighs definetely chunkier here too!

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 08:41:21 PM »

I do a HITT class twice a week (hour long) if I can, plus I walk the dog and do school run. I just got a fitbit so we'll see how that pans out.

I know not to starve/diet.

And to noursh and relax body as well as work it out.

Hate the chunky thighs!

Murphydurf

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 08:50:53 PM »

Some say that area gel is applied gets chunkier? Could that apply to you?

Mx

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »

That's interesting, Murphy! I do put it on my thighs. I rub it over both in large areas.

Hmm. Wonder how I can get round that.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »

What's challenging is that the advice is not to put the gel on upper body, near breasts. But obviously, one doesn't want fat thighs either  :-\
Pages: [1] 2