Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Informal poll - Mirena  (Read 3402 times)

Frankie41

Informal poll - Mirena
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »

Hi there ladies

I would love to hear from those of you who have had issues with the progesterone component of HRT and have tried the Mirena.  I'm looking to hear feedback, good or bad on your experience with Mirena.   I've had real problems with progesterone but am considering a Mirena as a next step.  I would welcome any anecdotal evidence!!

Many thanks, Frankie 41

Dancinggirl

Re: Informal poll - Mirena
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »

I had the Mirena in post meno for 4 years with Oestrogel alongside. It gave the least side effects of any other progesterone.  I did feel slightly sedated for the first 6 months or so - slept so well.  It's well worth trying.  DG x

murphydurf

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:27:43 PM »

Hi Frankie41 - I'm around 6 weeks post insertion and, whilst I've had some issues with feeling 'flat' recently, I've come to the conclusion that it's probably temporary and overall it's been the best option for me in terms of prog. I've used norethisterone and utro previously, neither of which I got on with. I'm really prog intolerant and wanted a no bleed option as I'm now 54 and a bit fed up with bleeds. My meno clinic gynae said it's the systemic equivalent of around 2 mini pills per week. I'm happy I had it inserted.

Good luck with your decision and do remember that it can be removed as soon as you want should it not suit.

Mx

Frankie41

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 03:18:39 AM »

Thanks for the feedback ladies - really helpful.  DG, did you feel any different once the Mirena was removed?     One of my concerns is how quickly it would take to get the Mirena effects out of your system (e.g. if it does cause depressive symptoms), whether these would resolve once the Mirena was removed or take a while.   My hunch is theoretically it could take some time, given what we know about both intolerance to, and withdrawal from progesterone.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »

Hi

I'm in week 2 of the mirena, so a newbie, but after the initial couple of days queasiness, I feel fine. Emotionally, I actually am starting to feel a bit better. Placebo or not!

I did tons of research and took lots of advice and decided that this was the best form of progesterone for me

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 10:58:29 AM »

Hi Frankie41 - As I had to stop the oestrogen when I had the Mirena removed, for me it was the return of meno symptoms that gave me the most trouble.  I expect the effects of the progesterone released from the Mirena would probably take a week or so to subside after removal.  I have to say that nobody can tell you how you will respond to the Mirena - there will be some 'settling in' side effects and if you are worried about low mood and anxiety then some short term ADs/SRRIs might be a good idea to get you over the first few weeks or even months - you then gradually come off these to see how you feel.
How old are you? Where are you in your meno journey? What meno symptoms are you trying to control?
No HRT will make you feel good every day and I firmly believe one has to adopt a whole range of strategies to cope with the menopause. HRT is just one of these strategies and will inevitably bring some compromises - it is about the benefits versus the side effects.  If the side effects outweigh the benefits then, having tried all the HRT options, one needs to find other ways to cope e.g. simpler life, less work and more relaxation.  DG x

Cathh3110

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 11:07:23 AM »

Hi I'm not sure if this will help, I am 53 yrs old, peri, and had problems with heavy bleeding every 3 to 4 weeks with clots. I also became very down and crying all the time.
I had the Mirena fitted on 7th December and also started on Evorel 50 patches. I have had a loss every day since, but am no longer crying and am feeling a lot better in myself.
I'm hoping the mirena will settle down and the loss will stop, but I am assured its early days and so need to give it a chance.
 :)

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »

Hi Frankie41

I have no experience of Mirena but wondered what sort of prog problems you've been having? As I expect you know the Mirena contains Levonorgestrel - the same progestogen as in some contraceptive pills and in Femseven combi HRT. Women who did not get on with the Pill with this prog in it, may fare better with Mirena because absorption is far less as murphydurf says. Compared to Femseven though, absoprtion (from Mirena) is greater - but depends if you want the freedom to tweak your oestrogen doses, which is the great advantage of Mirena. It seems some women get on better with Levonorgestrel than norethisterone - the other major progestogen used in HRT - but it is an individual response!

Hurdity x

Frankie41

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »

Thanks all - really helpful feedback and info :)  I am 42 and perimenopausal.  I don't really know where I am in the journey - apparently my AMH (estimate of ovarian reserve) came back zero (no eggs) but I am still "cycling" and apparently there can still be great variance from an AMH of 0 to when a woman is fully menopausal.  My most troublesome meno symptoms are cyclical anxiety and depression.    I have a history of clinical depression, so was at risk of peri-menopausal depression.  I am already on a quite high dose of an SSRI.    HRT has helped to some degree - but as I mentioned I have a history of progesterone "intolerance" - my own and HRT.  I've tried utrogestan orally and vaginally and norethisterone, all of which made me very down.    My endo doesn't seem to see a place for progesterone in terms of helping my mood symptoms - but of course I need it to protect my uterus.     

I am trialling estrofem (oral tablets) currently after a period of very mixed results on both climara and estradot.   I also have monthly lucrin injections to suppress my own cycle.    I am totally aware there is no silver HRT bullet - and lifestyle measures play a huge role in managing symptoms.    I have a long-standing mindfulness meditation practice (am doing a PhD in it!) so try and practice acceptance of (rather than resistance to!) aversive symptoms - sometimes I fail in this!  But it does help ground me no end.    Again thank you all for your comments - very much appreciated.  I will discuss with my endo and let you know what I decide!