Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Is it normal for periods to just stop  (Read 4045 times)

chloe

Is it normal for periods to just stop
« on: January 13, 2017, 08:29:47 AM »

Hi everyone.
I am 51 years old and last year my cycle changed. I was always regular then they started to become erratic with periods coming 2 weeks after finishing one or being late. They were not as heavy as I was used to having.
Early last year my periods suddenly stopped for 2 months then they started again. I was not having them regularly each month at first but then they started back as normal each month.
In mid October they suddenly stopped again and haven't come back, there is no spotting either. I also developed the night sweats and cold sweats which I have never had before. The sweats have now stopped which I am glad as they were weird, I did start taking menopace after reading it was good for them.
What I want to know if is this is normal my periods just stopping altogether.

nearly50

Re: Is it normal for periods to just stop
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 08:54:21 AM »

Hi chloe. Once you've gone 12 months without periods you'll be in menopause, at the moment you're in the stage of not really knowing if they've stopped or not. I found an article which stated that it is 'normal' to go 60 days without a cycle and within 6 months to a year you're likely to go 90 days without a period, and then you're likely to be have from 18 months to a few years to go. I'll find the link later if you'd like. But everyone's different, no two women go through the same process and unfortuately none of us know we're through it until we are.

So the short answer to that is, yes your periods could've just stopped, but then again maybe they haven't ;)

I'm following kind of the same pattern as you, skipped a period in March 16, had no periods from October 16 - January 17 . Who knows what will happen next.

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »

Hi chloe. Once you've gone 12 months without periods you'll be in menopause, at the moment you're in the stage of not really knowing if they've stopped or not. I found an article which stated that it is 'normal' to go 60 days without a cycle and within 6 months to a year you're likely to go 90 days without a period, and then you're likely to be have from 18 months to a few years to go. I'll find the link later if you'd like. But everyone's different, no two women go through the same process and unfortuately none of us know we're through it until we are.

So the short answer to that is, yes your periods could've just stopped, but then again maybe they haven't ;)

I'm following kind of the same pattern as you, skipped a period in March 16, had no periods from October 16 - January 17 . Who knows what will happen next.
Before I finally stopped I had at least 1  7 month  gap followed by  a very light period.

nearly50

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3232023/

This is article I thought was interesting, there's loads of stuff if you type in STRAW 10 too.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »

:thankyou: for that link nearly50 - just had a skim through as have not seen that one :). I usually go to the STRAW 10 you mention which is here:
http://www.imsociety.org/downloads/email_downloads/2012_02_16_1773491/straw10.pdf

All these stages are based on the majority and of course there are some women who do not fit the pattern, The important thing is not to worry if you don't but it is reassuring to read about the recognised course of the peri-menopausal transition in most women!

Hurdity x

nearly50

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »

You're welcome Hurdity. Definitely agree that it is reassuring to know what is 'normal' and to have an understanding of the times involved. I am still amazed at my naivety for thinking the whole process would only last 2 or 3 months.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »

I think a lot of us were in that position - as I've said probably too many times before - I thought periods would become a bit erratic for a few months,  you would get a few hot flushes, then bam periods stop , flushes would go and you would feel just the same as before but without the periods and pms! I think we don't know about it because we don't need to know - ie we are mostly busy getting on with our lives and children (most of us) so learning about menopause is the last thing on our minds! Actually I'm glad I didn't know about it - I mean how awful to be anticipating months and years of mood changes, flushes, insomnia and the myriad of other symptoms women experience! I'm glad that apart from hot flushes and sweats I didn't know that there were other symptoms caused by hormonal surges otherwise I would have thought too much about it!

Hurdity x

nearly50

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »

True but I think I would've liked a bit of a heads up as it was a real worry for me when my periods suddenly became so heavy and so often! I do feel a bit bad about telling my younger friends about it though, as they now know what might be ahead of them. Would've appreciated a doctor maybe putting two and two together when I was going to them with random symptoms years ago.

We're all different though, I know people who don't want to know what's happening to them and just pretend it isn't happening.

Dana

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »

Hi chloe.

Your periods may or may not have just stopped. It's only been since October so it's too early to say. You need to go for at least 12 months without one to know. Periods can do all sorts of weird things before stopping. For a number of years mine got closer together and would come every 3 weeks when I had always been a regular 28 day girl.

Re knowing or not knowing what was in store for us, I think it would be good if everyone had a bit more education about what possible meno symptoms there are. I was completely clueless and probably like most women thought you got some hot flushes, your periods stopped and that was it. I was not expecting the severe insomnia I got so for months I was completely thrown not knowing what on earth was wrong with me. It was only after going 3 full nights with absolutely no sleep whatsoever that I took myself, crying and with a completely fried brain, to the doctor.

So often society itself totally dismisses meno symptoms and, what's worse, pokes fun and belittles women when they have hot flushes. Everyone needs more education.