Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Post Menopausal bleeding  (Read 3521 times)

CoastalGirl

Post Menopausal bleeding
« on: January 11, 2017, 04:49:59 PM »

Hi I am new to this forum, not overly sure how it works but wondered if anyone had experienced the same problems I am having at the moment.
I am 56 and my last period was around 2-3 years ago.  I went on HRT Patches Evorel Conti in October for hot flushes and just before Christmas I experienced some spotting and period pain.  I went to the doc and she said probably the patches and stop using them.  All was fine for a week and then I have been spotting again sometimes red and sometimes darker. I have had a smear which has come back clear and a swab which has come back with thrush which I have treated.  I have done a self swab and am waiting for results.  I am also waiting for a scan date which the doctor has put through as urgent !!

I hate the internet as I seem to only find negative things and am convinced I have womb cancer  I am also terrified about the scan as if they do the internal one, I struggle with a smear which is so painful I cried.

Anyone had similar experiences... I cant stop thinking about it !  :'(

Hurdity

Re: Post Menopausal bleeding
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »

Coastal Girl - I have answered on your other thread - it might get a bit confusing to have two going on saying the same thing!

Hurdity x

Ljp

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »

Hi CoastalGurl, and welcome to the forum.
I had something similar, I had been without periods for 14 months, and had been using local oestrogen for bladder issues for approx 6 months, I had a light bleed. So contacted my GP and she referred me straight away for a hysteroscopy, I too convinced myself I had cancer!
But hysteroscopy showed lining was actually quite thin and no concerns, but to enable me to use oestrogen, the gynaecologist recommended the Mirena coil which I now have, and use oestrogel 2 pumps daily, and all fine.
How long were you on the Everoel conti? I'm surprised your doctor advised coming off it so soon, I'm no doctor, but from the advise I've read and been given in here, most HRT regimes need at least a 3 month trial for your body to get used to it.
Chances are, the oestrogen in your HRT may have caused a light bleed, I spotted for at least 6 weeks after having the Mirena fitted and starting the oestrogel.
No doubt other more experienced ladies will be along to offer advice, but I would say try not to worry, it's probably the disruption from the HRT starting it then stopping it so soon.

Internal ultrasound isnt painful, hysteroscopy was uncomfortable, but taking ibuprofen before you go will help xx

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:49:30 PM »

Sounds like the patches causing the bleeding, do not stress, the ultrasound is not one bit uncomfy and I am a real baby when it comes to that sort of thing, you will be fine.

flutterby

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:35:40 PM »

I bled on Evorel Conti so stayed on Evorel Sequi then October 15 I was bleeding all the time although light but sometimes blood was bright red and sometimes dark. I looked things up on the Internet and scared myself witless ( never do it now).
I started with an oral progesterone Utrogestan because progesterone is not always well absorbed through the patches, still bled for 5 months until a benign polyps was found and removed. Then stopped bleeding immediately and never happened again.
Post menopausal bleeding is always treated as urgent so don't stress about that. As Cassie said the ultrasound is not to be feared. Ask for them to numb the cervix with an injection it is just a slight sting and then the rest is easy. Flutterbyx

CoastalGirl

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 06:18:03 AM »

Thank you everyone. It just feels like i am back on my period again. All very disconcerting. Just had scan date through it is next monday !!!

coldethyl

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »

Know it's worrying but far better that they do something and find nothing amiss than that they do nothing and there is a problem.  I am currently receiving chemo for ovarian cancer and have met several people whose medical professionals apparat to have been somewhat negligent in their treatment with one lady having a now terminal reoccurrence of her breast cancer after 18 yrs but bring fobbed off by her GP for 14 months!! So I'd say I your GP is going all the right things so far in following post menopausal bleeding guidelines.

CoastalGirl

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »

Thank you, not sure how to reply to individual responses, sorry.  I hope all goes well with the chemo x

Rosie500

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »

Hi CoastalGirl, I am post menopausal too and had unscheduled bleeding at the beginning of December, like a light period for a few days. Like you I was referred for a scan on the 2 week wait system, my GP just said, "We don't like this, I will refer you for a scan." I had the scan and it is nothing like a smear (those do make me wince!) - I had no discomfort at all. Even if you have not had children I can't imagine it would be uncomfortable! The people doing the scan are very experienced and in my hospital at least very professional and kind.

I believe unscheduled bleeding can just happen for no sinister reason at all (as in my case) but it is correct to get it checked out -  I did research the statistics about how likely my bleeding was to be something sinister and was so reassured by the tiny number that I was honestly not worried when I went for the appointment!  Even if you do have endometrial hyperplasia, it is very treatable. Anything worse is very unlikely - theoretically possible, which is why they are checking you out, but don't waste energy worrying about it at this stage.

Hope it all goes well and you are reassured.

CoastalGirl

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »

Thank you Rosie 500