Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Coming off of sertraline  (Read 3556 times)

Bracken willowshimmer

Coming off of sertraline
« on: January 11, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »

Has anyone got any tips for coming off sertraline.

I have been taking 50 mg for about four years and dr wants me to try and come off. I have been gradually cutting it down but feel like my anxiety is coming back. Also suffering from nasty headaches.

I have been reading up on it and read it might not be a relapse but just my body and brain readjusting to it.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. X

Justjules

Re: Coming off of sertraline
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:49:26 AM »

Hi BW.  The only advice I can give you in coming off any ADs is that you must do it very, very slowly despite what the GPs say.  There is a good website somewhere, can't remember the name but Google and you'll probably come across it, that gives really good advice on AD reduction/stopping.  Every time I came off mine, I literally, scraped a tiny bit off each tablet every day - doing alternative days like the GPs normally suggest resulted in awful withdrawal symptoms.  Every reduction I did, I did for at least 6 weeks and then reduced a bit more and it took a few months, but I came off with no problems.  I came off mine last year and had to go onto Sertraline but they made me very ill so went back on my original ones.  Good luck  :)

Mojo61

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 12:33:48 PM »

Were you stable on the sertraline? Why does your doctor want you to come off them?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:27:10 PM »

Hi Bracken Willowshimmer

Sorry I can't help with the Sertraline - but wondered how this relates to where you are in menopause, any menopausal symptoms and any HRT you might be taking - because they will have some interaction...

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »

Why stop taking it, has the GP given any reason?

Any medication needs careful weaning, it took me 9 weeks to get off one AD with GP support.  He had access to smaller amounts for exactly that purpose.  What I found was, that after 48 hours, any withdrawal feelings (which were awful ) stopped; I reduced every 3rd or 5th day and took it slowly.  My brain kept telling me that I would have to re-start but with support I got there!

Bracken willowshimmer

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 07:16:25 PM »

Thanks for replies.

I was feeling really good on sertraline.  I also take hrt and have the mirena coil in too.  I haven't had a proper period since having the coil so think I am still peri menopausal.

The dr had written on my repeat prescription form that she wanted me to either come off or lower the dose.  She didn't put a reason  :(

I will try and come off it by slowly decreasing the tablet.  If my symptoms return I will go straight back on it. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 07:19:46 PM »

Don't do anything until you have discussed with your GP!  Recently I went for my repeat prescription to find that someone: ?? : had stopped one of my drugs  >:(.  Not a wise move on this feisty Woman particularly B4 C.mas!  I went to see my GP the next day but was unable to find out exactly who had 'stopped' it: the excuse was that one of the girls told me you were no longer taking it : so why didn't the GP ring me to find out why  :-\

Make an appt. and discuss!  If you remain well on your present regime then impress that by sticking with what works, means less expense for the Surgery as you won't be there as often.  It's That Time of Year: headed towards April!