Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New to site, new to HRT  (Read 2611 times)

MsKittin

New to site, new to HRT
« on: January 16, 2017, 08:23:57 PM »

So this is my first post, although I've been reading this site compulsively since hitting the meno wall hard back in August. In fact it's been a lifesaver, so thanks to you all for that! :thankyou:

Up until then, I was coping ok with perimenopause. At 53, I'd had heavy periods every three weeks, terrible PMT and mood swings for a while, but I was functioning well and dealing with flushes etc by using natural remedies - sage and maca were helpful. Then as my periods became less frequent I was suddenly hit by severe anxiety and sleeplessness (one to two hours a night) and the mood swings were hellish - like being possessed. I just didn't recognise myself. Nor did anyone else  :o

Initially my (male) gp prescribed tranquillisers. Did nothing. Then I saw a female gp who suggested HRT. I was reluctant to try it as my mother had breast cancer (she made a full recovery) and I've always tried to do everything as naturally as possible (two natural home births and hardly any time on the pill). But I was desperate - I run my own business and I have two teens at home. My relationship with them and OH was suffering due to my total irrationality... so tried Femoston 1/10 and felt gradually better. Three months later, I was much improved but still had some anxiety and sleeplessness, so gp upped the dose to 2/10. Now two weeks into that - I feel like my old self again ;D

Meanwhile I'm trying to make sense of all the conflicting evidence on HRT's benefits and risks but finding it impossible  :-\ All I know is that I'll be taking it for the foreseeable, as I really don't have a choice right now. I am wondering if 2/10 is a high dose at my age (just turned 54), and how long I should go before trying to reduce it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New to site, new to HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 08:35:25 PM »

Why fix if it ain't broken?  That bus might be along in the morning and run you over  ;).

In the last couple of years GPs have been given new Guidelines by NICE as the results of testing years ago relating to the risks of HRT were flawed.  HRT can help protect bones and heart as well as easing symptoms of The Change. 

Some ladies continue on HRT for ever.  Look out for the drying effects of lower oestrogen, i.e. skin, nostrils, vagina, deep in the ears - vaginal atrophy is treated with topical HRT which once started, needs to be continued for years.  There are several threads on VA .....

Browse round.  Make notes.   :welcomemm:

MsKittin

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »

Thanks for that CLKD!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:44:09 PM »

Hi MsKittin

:welcomemm: from me too. Glad to hear your news about how Femoston is working for you! It is not a question of age really when it comes to HRT until you get over 60 when benefits and risks are about equal. More the stage of menopause you are at - and also how well you absorb the oestrogen from the different types and methods of delivery.

As CLKD says - if this dose is working for you then no need to stop. In fact if you've only just started it then no need to worry at all. As you approach 60 or maybe earlier, once you are at least 2 years post-menopause (you'd have to guess this!) you may want to try lowering the dose or switching to patches if you want to continue long term - but this should be done gradually to minimise the shock of sudden withdrawal of oestrogen. Don't worry about this now though -  enjoy your better quality of life while you can :).  I presume you stopped the ADs which should not have been given to you for menopausal symptoms?

Hope you continue to feel good for as long as possible!

Hurdity x

MsKittin

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »

Thanks Hurdity  :) And yes, I'm not taking anything else now. Ditched the meds from the male gp plus all the very expensive supplements I'd been taking before! Going to follow your advice, relax and enjoy the quality of life I have back now while I can  ;D xx

Debs165

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »

Hi MsKitten

I was on Femoston for 4 and a half months last year, however in November 2016 I was diagnosed with PE's and the doctors had no idea how I could have got them.  This resulted in being in hospital for 2 weeks and the recovery can take months, it has caused my no amount of anxiety and worry and seem to be at GP's every week as they too want to keep an eye on me.

The conclusion that people have come up with is that the HRT could have contributed to the clots and after reading up on this I too agree.

Please just make sure that your GP does regular checks.  I hope I haven't spoken out of turn but I would not want anyone else to go through what I am going through.

Debs

MsKittin

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 08:52:46 PM »

Thanks Debs. Sorry to hear of your health problems, and I hope you make a complete recovery soon. What symptoms did you notice first? I am not overweight, do lots of exercise, have low blood pressure, don't smoke and drink little so am considered very low risk. I am keeping a careful eye on my health though.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »

Sorry  :-\ - what's PEs?

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 08:58:26 PM »

Just what I was going to ask!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »

Pulmonary Embolism?

MsKittin

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 09:03:47 PM »

Think it's pulmonary embolism. Were your symptoms chest pain and breathlessness Debs?

Debs165

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »

Hi all,

Yes it is pulmonary embolism.  I too was always active, don't smoke, glass of wine some evenings and eat pretty healthy.

The symptoms came on over a period a time and got steadily worse...
Breathlessness
Appetite reduced, even a biscuit was too much
The feeling that the body was really heavy
No energy, either in bed or on the sofa
Constant cough

There were other  symptoms too and eventually got to the stage where I couldn't get out of bed and was hardly drinking. This got worse over a period of about 3 weeks and ended up with my partner taking me to A&E where I was finally diagnosed.  I had been to my GP and the hospital before to try and find out what was going on as I felt so bed and after various blood tests, chest xrays I was told that they think it was a viral/bacterial infection and given antibiotics, also that it could be part anxiety! It was only when I went to A&E with my partner that the doctor did a certain blood test (my blood by this time was hardly coming out) and then a CT scan that finally showed this up. This particular blood test wasn't done before because I didn't fall into the normal category.

So please just keep an eye on things   :)

Debs x

MsKittin

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »

Thanks Debs for clarifying - it's good to be aware of what can happen and what sort of symptoms to watch out for. Blood clots are a risk of HRT, just as they are of the pill, so in your case there could very well be a connection. I presume you've stopped HRT now so I hope you won't get any more trouble in the future. Take care! :foryou: