Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: digestive symptoms: what do they mean?!  (Read 2724 times)

vintagefiend

digestive symptoms: what do they mean?!
« on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »

(Hi- I've written before about the emotional symptoms of peri and my inability to tolerate any form of prog!!)
I do have some physical symptoms of peri and, while they're not that bothersome, I'm curious as to what they mean.
Essentially, digestion is awry! During my period awoke in the early hours with crushing indigestion in chest area (can understand why people end up in A and E thinking heart attack!)
Around that time I had very painful trapped wind- again- wow! eye-watering pain!
Today- sorry about this- hard, dry stool- v difficult to move bowel!
All the glamorous symptoms and all prob linked.
Is it low oestrogen?- my gut feeling is that it is but a look on the internet and get a confusion of answers!
In a weird way I find physical symptoms quite helpful as they obvs point to something and if I can amend that, then my mood should be helped- it's just that i dont know what they're pointing to!
Thanks for any help  :)

Dancinggirl

Re: digestive symptoms: what do they mean?!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:19:54 PM »

I do think that as we age our digestive system becomes less robust overall.  Heartburn, wind and poor digestion could well be down to the lack of oestrogen as well. I have found I tolerate fat far less well, I need to drink enough water and eat small amounts often throughout the day.  Hard stools will be lack of fibre and fluids.  Eating a big meal late in the evening will cause heartburn but I also find if I go to bed with a very empty stomach I don't sleep well either - I try to eat around 7 pm and also have a small snack before bed - a small bit of cheese on a water biscuit or low sugar wholewheat biscuit usually does the trick. 
It's about balance - a healthy, well balanced, diet with less fat and sugar, plus enough fluids, is the way forward.   
DG x

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »

I would go to the doctor and check it isn't something like gallstones.

Hard stool could just be slow transit which results in colon taking out too much fluid and slower transit. - soluble fibre (fruit and veg and porridge) fluids and exercise and kiwi fruit help (if not, a stool softener like movicol/laxido or lactulose).

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:58:44 PM »

I had severe slow transit from low progesterone which I think is very common for end of cycle when progesterone plummets and in peri.

However, like a lot of symptoms, low oestrogen may cause similar and the post meno women will know for sure.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »

coconut oil addresses slow transit/hard dry stools/constipation.  It has worked very well indeed for me and I always needed something like lactulose or fybogel or senna if it got too slow  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 04:09:06 PM »

As the oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains: it is the 'usual' time of Life in which hiatus hernias develop, due to laxity.  I get awful deep pain in the chest, into my chin, under my ribs ...... it helps that Himself will rub the wind around to try to ease it.  2/3 Rennies helps.

vintagefiend

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »

Thanks so much, ladies- that's given me lots to think about! I think the not tolerating fat could indeed be a thing and that would tie in - i think- with possible gallbladder issues which i'm prob a candidate for: fair, forty(plus!), female (obvs), and a bit fat!! maybe a stone overwieght. i'll really bear that in mind
i idnt realise low prog could also be implicated- its all v confusing
i will def get some lactulose and pop it next to the gaviscon- old woman!
i still think oestrogen-low- implicated somehow and useful to know that i'm not alone with these symptoms at this time of life- i'm lucky that i too have a good man to rub the trapped wind around my abdomen! :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »

It's all part of the normal Change of Life but it can be Trial and Error as it affects each lady in a different way ........

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary?

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:38:57 PM »

Apart from getting an investigation if you have persistent change in bowel habit or unexplained persistent pain - I would just go with the flow (  ::) ) and not analyse the why's and wherefores of your bowel - except in terms of dietary changes. I have never done so - it does as it pleases  ;D. For constipation - figs and prunes all the way - to loosen up!

Hurdity x

vintagefiend

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 11:11:12 AM »

thanks again, ladies :)