Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estrogel and insomnia????  (Read 5438 times)

Noheroicsplease

Estrogel and insomnia????
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:29:11 AM »

Hi all

Last week I had the mirena coil put in and started on estrogel. 1 x pump am / 1 x pump pm

My sleep this week has been awful. Go to sleep, as always, no problem, but wake a few hours later and cannot get back to sleep for hours.

Back history: sleep this past 11 months without periods was like this, but not as bad. One of the reasons I sought HRT was to help it. Ironically, in December it improved a lot.

Could taking the gel at night be too stimulating? Should I try am only?

I've even stopped TV and all screens after 7,30pm this week to see if taht's a problem, but it's made no difference.

Thanks
x

peri

Re: Estrogel and insomnia????
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »

Hi noheroicsplease

That's ironic I had my mirena fitted a week ago (tomorrow) and have slept like a baby since.  Previously I always used to wake in the early hours but now I'm going straight through.  Is something else worrying you?x

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:05:25 AM »

No, nothing is worrying me...

elsie001

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »

I had exactly the same thing happen to me, so I stopped the oestrogel and got my oestrogen levels checked and they turned out to be fine, so I was just adding unnecessary oestrogen.  I'm 50 & had regular periods until having the coil fitted around 15 months ago.

The extra energy it gave me was lovely but getting insomnia back again was grim.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »

That's interesting, Elsie.

I haven't had any period in 11 months though so not sure where my oestrogen levels were at

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 04:43:30 PM »

Noheroics please - do you take plenty of exercise? If not - this will help with sleep, but not just before bedtime!

It sounds like you are very late peri-menopause if you were without period for 11 months but perhaps the dose was too high too quickly and your body doesn't quite know what to do with the extra oestrogen with all those receptors waking up! Some women absorb gel very well and also if you are of low body weight then it is likely to have more effect too.

If you've only had it a few days, start with 1 pump for a few weeks and then take it up a notch as your body acclimatises. I have no experience of oestrogen - I use patches - but the dose I started on was always OK, but never very high according to my levels when measured.

Hurdity x

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 06:45:07 PM »

That's good advice, Hurdity. Thanks a lot. I do exercise - HITT exercise but for various reasons, hadn't done any for a couple of days.

I think I'll have a lower dose for a few weeks.

Cheers