Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Prempak C - update  (Read 3484 times)

candycotton

Prempak C - update
« on: January 09, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »

Good Afternoon ladies
Hope you all had a good christmas and new year.

I haven't posted on here for a good few months but I am a little concerned/confused about a change in my HRT.

I was put on Premique low dose last year and have been fine with it until I came to renew my perception at the beginning of January to find that nowhere seems to have any stock of it.  I re-visited my GP who has put me on Prempak C and after initially querying this as I have been period free for years, initially through contraception and then the inevitable menopause which was diagnosed through blood tests so it must be 10years plus since I've had a period (I'm almost 55 now) I started to take it just over a week ago.

So, after a week of taking it, my tummy feels bloated and uncomfortable and I have mild cramps I would say similar to period pain but by no means bad, just uncomfortable.  Is this normal for this medication or is it (as I first thought) the wrong type of HRT for post menapause.  I haven't got to the take two tablets bit yet but thought I'd just check with the ladies on here what you thought as often just the reassurance that things are normal will make them right so to speak.

Karen   
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:04:27 AM by candycotton »

dazned

Re: Prempak C
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »

As far as I'm aware prempak c will result in a monthly bleed !  Im presuming that you didnt want to go back to bleeds so in this respect you have been given the wrong type,go back to gp and ask for a continuous hrt not a sequential one.

candycotton

Re: Prempak C
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 02:05:12 PM »

thanks for your reply, I did think that was the case, not quite sure what my doctor was thinking, she just left the prescription with the receptionist after speaking to me on the phone and saying she would give me something else as Premique wasn't available.

candycotton

Re: Prempak C - update
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »

just thought I'd let all you ladies know my experiences with my doctor.

First of all prior to my first post I had tried to speak to my doctor with no avail and had only been able to speak to a receptionist who asked who had told me that Prempak C was the wrong medication for me and after explaining about this site, the fact that I am post menopausal with no proper periods for around 10yrs was told I shouldn't believe everything I read online as most of it is wrong and that the doctor wouldn't prescribe something that was unsuitable.  This being the straw that broke the camels back, I decided it was time to change doctor so was in the process of changing over when I posted.

Last night I had my first appointment with my new doctor and explained all about the change in HRT and the problems I was having.  Immediately he was concerned and said I had been given the wrong thing, I had been on a continuous HRT at low dose and should never have been put straight onto a sequential one as it was such a long time since I'd had periods and also that the dose was way too high.  He was also a bit confused as to why my doctor hadn't put me onto the continuous version of Prempac-c rather than the sequential one.

He has now given me 2 prescriptions for HRT one for my old Permique low dose, (that although I'd not been able to get hold of it and this was the reason for the change in the first place) which the pharmacist attached to my new doctors has assured me he has been able to order and will be there for me to collect tonight and another continuous one Kliofem which he feels would be a good alternative if it turns out Premique isn't available.

So all you lovely ladies, the lesson this has taught me is if something doesn't feel right then it probably isn't, check as much as you can, ask your friends on here and keep going at your doctor, hopefully yours will be better than mine and it won't require a change in surgery to get someone to listen to you.

dazned

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 03:49:01 PM »

Glad you got things sorted out eventually !  Aren't you tempted to back to your old GPS and tell them they were the one's in the wrong not us ,I know I would be  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »

Thanks for the update candycotton - well well! It is true you shouldn't believe everything you read online but many of us who post on here do know what we're talking about when it comes to HRT and if we were all spouting rubbish, mods would soon intervene as the forum is attached to a very well respected website managed by leading gynaecologist - and Chair of the British Menopause Society, Dr Heather Currie - and she is not going to want women to be ill-advised, even if this is a forum where everyone is assumed to be non-medical professionals!

Glad you have been given a doc who knows what they are talking about, and more to the point - I hope your new prescription works for you :)

Hurdity x