Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Really struggling....  (Read 11832 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Really struggling....
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 07:14:09 PM »

aaahhh ........ we don't rest though do we  ::)

abbyH

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »

just to reiterate. I'm keeping track of what I eat (via online tracker)
I don't eat sugar...
I exercise daily
my basic needs are probably 1800, but I eat less it's true - I actually can't eat that much!
I have an underactive thyroid and am taking medication.. yes T4 low (not sure of T3 as they don't test) TSH low because on thyroid meds..

am gaining weight rapidly not losing despite reducing calories and upping exercise!
I eat a very healthy diet, vegetables, plant protein, tofu, quinoa, leafy greens, almond milk no dairy.. and since Jan 1 no eggs or cheese (veganuary!) not too many potatoes (sweet potato mainly and celerica) and pasta once in a while mainly spelt or brown

Symptoms (on oestrogen therapy)
sore big boobs
waking and insomnia
have had mood issues up and down...
weight gain (8.13-10stone)
some hot flushes
hair loss

I don't think my diet and my weight gain are related.. I rush around and do stuff all day, so even without exercise on top my calorie intake is matching my BMR and output.. and I shoudl not be gaining weight..

on HRT I feel awful, any dose, and whether patch or gel, I feel bloated, I look 4 months pregnant and feel as if I have fat plastered to my body, like a suit. I'm normally a 5.4 woman slim with a good body fat ratio.. I now look like, well like I'm pregnant!

abbyH

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »

NHS Choices suggests:

"To maintain a stable weight, the energy we put into our bodies must be the same as the energy we use up through normal body functions and physical activity. An important part of a healthy diet is eating the right amount of calories; balancing the energy you put into your body with the energy you use.

"As a guide, men need around 2,500kcal (10,500kJ) a day to maintain a healthy body weight, and women need around 2,000kcal a day (8,400kJ).

"A healthy diet is not only about eating the right amount. It also means eating a wide range of foods to ensure you get all the nutrients you need. You can still eat less when following a balanced diet. Learn more about a balanced diet in the Eatwell Guide. "

I would struggle to eat 2000 calories a day and I would also struggle with NHS dietery advice as they still push the old low fat high carb advice. . I do listen to dieticians more than 'nutritionists' but with every bit of my being I can tell you that I do eat well - good as in non-processed and whole foods, a range of carbs, proteins (plant based) and healthy fats (olive oil, some nuts and seeds, avocado) and a range of fruit and veg. I have been interested in nutrition for a long time and read a lot and enjoy cooking. if I was eating, for example, a lot of white bread, cakes, biscuits and soft drinks then yes, I can see your point in adjusting my diet. But how can I make it any healthier? here is my sample menu  (from today)
Breakfast. Coffee with almond milk. Porridge oats with: blueberries, flax seeds, pumpkin seeks
lunch, vegan cheese sourdough sandwich, soya milk flat white
dinner: veggie burger, salad (including green leaves beetroot and tomato)

water... about 4 glasses..

nearly50

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 08:14:56 PM »

No, it definitely doesn't sound like your diet is the problem, sounds like you're doing really well with that. Sorry, I know nothing about hrt but can you get an earlier appointment with hospital or Gp? Sounds like you're doing everything right which must be so frustrating. Hope you find the answer

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 08:20:20 PM »

I LOVE beetroot  ::)

How fatty is almond milk and soya milk, all nuts can put weight on .... despite being good for us.  I try to eat a handful of Brazil nuts daily but often forget, they are good for selenium apparently.

I have no idea how many calories I take in because my diet isn't the same each day.  I also know that I don't exercise as I used to do, nor how I ought to despite having a tread mill  ::).  Must Try Harder ?  [that's all I remember on my school reports  ::) ]

Maybe the thyroid is the problem? 

abbyH

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »

Almond milk is v low fat.. not fattening at all.. same as soya milk... these are v low fat/low calorie options... as are all non-dairy milks actually.. for the amount I'm taking in Roughly maybe 100mls a day.. really nothing...

nuts in moderation..
Brazil nuts high in selenium a myth I'm afraid, its all down to the soil they were grown in having high enough levels ( a dietician told me that!)

yes.. maybe.. I am trying to tweak my medication upward.. will see if that helps...

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »

Which is why we are often low in selenium due to the Earth not having enough.

Let us know how you get on? 

abbyH

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »

I will do.. But as an aside. The doc's don't recognise I have a thyroid issue (as borderline) despite having Thryoid antibodies. So am self medicating.. I think possibly needing to up my medication first and then try oestrogen might be the way forward... I think my diet is really as good as it could be, I have the odd treat as everyone does, but I'm not diving into the biscuit tin daily or eating vast amounts of empty calories/carbs etc

I just feel like no one is able to help me, apart from myself! and I am not always sure what I am doing

thanks anyway xx

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 09:28:12 PM »

Hi Abby,

I really, really sympathise.

A quick question about your menu - without knowing what's in the veggie lunch and burger - it strikes me that you could do with more protein with every meal?

x

abbyH

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 09:31:43 PM »

beans/nuts

i have been a meat eater (moderate white meat and fish) am on Veganuary! so doing a vegan diet for a while...
but eating a lot of pulses and green leaf veg

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »

Problem is that beans/pulses are also higher in calories. So you'll need stronger portion control. 

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 09:43:33 PM »

Nuts are really calorific, too - I saw a photo spread of different nuts grouped with calories the other day - was shocked at how few nuts = high calories.

It adds up.

I know because I've been there!

abbyH

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 09:54:35 PM »

really ? a normal size bean/nut burger is about 200 cals

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »

;D what's normal for one might be tiny or large for another person  ::)

Have you not been referred to an endocrinologist ? someone who can over-see all the problems? Maybe ask your GP?  No one should have to feel ill as you describe, though not all GPs realise that 'borderline' thyroid function tests should be investigated!

I want you to feel well, I remember how ill I felt during my bleeds and with PMT  :sigh:

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »

Hiya,

Yes, of course, if you're eating a bean burger where you know the calories, but I meant if you're eating nuts as snacks.

What exercise do you do daily?

I suspect like everyone else that it's about needing medication/hormone levels and nothing you're doing. I'm in a similar boat. I've just started HRT but despite huge efforts my normally slim body has changed shape considerably this past year. I feel so chunky. I do HITT workouts, eat really well. Very on it nutrition wise. I've come to accept its hormonal, and hope the HRT will help.

It's a huge challenge. I'm sorry you're going through this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4