Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Can not taking progesterone make you feel worse? I thought it was the opposite!  (Read 19385 times)

dangermouse

Well my GPs (I use the plural term as you tend to see one of about 20 each time!) did also pick up it was high oestrogen and said the HRT would probably make things worse - despite them not picking up the hormonal connection after visiting about 30 times over an intense period of symptoms!

I just read that article thanks Hurdity. I do understand how this site has to follow the medical model and NICE's apprehension with supplements so I think it's best if we view compounded BHRT as herbal. The same concerns of quality and interactions apply to herbs and so it's at the individual's risk to take them.

In order to convert the natural hormones into pharmaceuticals, a drug needs to be added (e.g. valerate) and then it can go through the drug testing process in order to guarantee its efficacy and safety, which is how BHRT is available via the NHS and private BMA docs (who also follow NICE's guidelines).

For those who would never take herbs or supplements then please do take note of this if you are considering compounded BHRT.

Hopefully those who do try it have proper docs prescribing it to ensure oestrogen is opposed with the correct dose of progesterone - which I agree is a concern if this isn't happening, although I haven't seen any options to purchase compounded oestrogen by non-BMA docs in the UK.

Hurdity

Ok, whenever I type the word "compounded" I'll make sure to add in sequence "NOT recommended/licensed in UK" (thanks copy/paste inventor!!!) for the benefit of all ladies here who deserve the best information available.  ;)

Haha! What a hoot! ;D.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

Utrogestan and Prometrium are identical to the natural progesterone produced by humans, but they could be patented under the name "micronized progesterone" because they are processed in a formulation that can be delivered in small amounts (sustained release and increased half-life). The progesterone used in compounded products (NOT recommended/licensed in UK) is exactly the same molecule extracted from plants (soybeans and Mexican yam) but cannot be patented because it is natural and is not processed in a formulation that can be patented (yet, because this is only a matter of how much money/power and time you have to develop a new delivery route, such as a patch).

I would appreciate if all pharmaceuticals (big and small) were interested in developing a progesterone patch!

This is completely wrong! I can't believe that this misinformation is still out there on the internet! The progesterone that is used in all progesterone products whether micronised, compounded, commercial cream or whatever - is all exactly the same ie a compound that is biologically identical to the progesterone in our bodies!

All of it has to be synthesised/manufactured - or whatever term you like to use - in the lab or factory from the raw product - DIOSGENIN - which is extracted from soy and yam. The body cannot make progesterone, DHEA or anything of our steroid hormones from Diosgenin.

I tried to look into where all the pure progesterone came from that all the companies ( pharma, compounders, cream-makers etc)  a while back but couldn't find the supply chain/manufacturing pathway and the companies responsible - but they will likely all get the raw material (pure progesterone) from the same sources - and the resulting product will have no trace of soy or yam. It is all "natural" (or not) depending on how you define this.

Progesterone cannot be made into a patch because it is extremely unstable which is why it has to be taken in very large amounts in the body. It is great that the micronising process was invented - thus opening up this treatments to thousands of other women :). As far as I know even dydrogesterone ( the progestogen in Femoston) can't be made in patch form for the same reason - but I might be wrong there....!

Hurdity x

murphydurf

Well my GPs (I use the plural term as you tend to see one of about 20 each time!) did also pick up it was high oestrogen and said the HRT would probably make things worse - despite them not picking up the hormonal connection after visiting about 30 times over an intense period of symptoms!

I just read that article thanks Hurdity. I do understand how this site has to follow the medical model and NICE's apprehension with supplements so I think it's best if we view compounded BHRT as herbal. The same concerns of quality and interactions apply to herbs and so it's at the individual's risk to take them.

In order to convert the natural hormones into pharmaceuticals, a drug needs to be added (e.g. valerate) and then it can go through the drug testing process in order to guarantee its efficacy and safety, which is how BHRT is available via the NHS and private BMA docs (who also follow NICE's guidelines).

For those who would never take herbs or supplements then please do take note of this if you are considering compounded BHRT.

Hopefully those who do try it have proper docs prescribing it to ensure oestrogen is opposed with the correct dose of progesterone - which I agree is a concern if this isn't happening, although I haven't seen any options to purchase compounded oestrogen by non-BMA docs in the UK.

Thanks dangermouse - I think sometimes it's the trial and error and countless trips back to various GPs that leaves some women despondent. I just wonder if compounded BHRT might save some of the misery as it's more tailored to the individual.

Mx

Menomale

Utrogestan and Prometrium are identical to the natural progesterone produced by humans, but they could be patented under the name "micronized progesterone" because they are processed in a formulation that can be delivered in small amounts (sustained release and increased half-life). The progesterone used in compounded products (NOT recommended/licensed in UK) is exactly the same molecule extracted from plants (soybeans and Mexican yam) but cannot be patented because it is natural and is not processed in a formulation that can be patented (yet, because this is only a matter of how much money/power and time you have to develop a new delivery route, such as a patch).

I would appreciate if all pharmaceuticals (big and small) were interested in developing a progesterone patch!

This is completely wrong! I can't believe that this misinformation is still out there on the internet! The progesterone that is used in all progesterone products whether micronised, compounded, commercial cream or whatever - is all exactly the same ie a compound that is biologically identical to the progesterone in our bodies!

All of it has to be synthesised/manufactured - or whatever term you like to use - in the lab or factory from the raw product - DIOSGENIN - which is extracted from soy and yam. The body cannot make progesterone, DHEA or anything of our steroid hormones from Diosgenin.

I tried to look into where all the pure progesterone came from that all the companies ( pharma, compounders, cream-makers etc)  a while back but couldn't find the supply chain/manufacturing pathway and the companies responsible - but they will likely all get the raw material (pure progesterone) from the same sources - and the resulting product will have no trace of soy or yam. It is all "natural" (or not) depending on how you define this.

Progesterone cannot be made into a patch because it is extremely unstable which is why it has to be taken in very large amounts in the body. It is great that the micronising process was invented - thus opening up this treatments to thousands of other women :). As far as I know even dydrogesterone ( the progestogen in Femoston) can't be made in patch form for the same reason - but I might be wrong there....!https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4800604/
Hurdity x

I dont't know if you don't get what I'm saying because I'm not expressing myselft clearly or if there's any other reason.

When I say Utrogestan and Prometrium are identical to the natural progesterone we produce, what's wrong with that? I am saying exactly what you said, that they are all biologically identical, or isomolecular.

Nowhere in my post I said that they don't have to be manufactured...

When I said that the prog used in the creams is extracted from natural sources... maybe I forgot to put a comma after "exactly the same molecule, but extracted from plants..." meaning only that the sources are different but both (compounded or regulated) are the same molecule.

The process of micronization is patented, not the progesterone itself, what's wrong here?

I'm aware of the challenges to make a progesterone patch. You have to understand that this is just a matter of time, effort, research, money and interest. There is no such thing as "Progesterone cannot be made into a patch...." this is a line of research under development, it only depends on finding the right technology to achieve it.

I'm sorry if I don't express myself as clearly as you like but I'm not advocating anything here. I'm a biologist and know that all progesterone (molecule, not label) available on the market is processed in some way. There are very different produtcs available marketed as "progesterone creams" but only the ones that are graded USP and manufactered by established Compounding Pharmacies can be trusted to some extent, not the ones sold online that emphasize the natural, yam, soy, etc aspect in order to deceive people.

I sincerely hope that you can understand that I'm not saying that someone would benefit from compounded produtcs in any way. I also hope that you can understand that this is all about informed decision (what HRT do you want to put in your system) and there is only one way to be informed: discussing whatever information/technology/science/products are available to discuss. I have an open mind to discuss approaches that seem to work, despite no scientifc evidence is available, YET. It seems to me that this is the main difference in this discussion with you, you seem to be stuck on rules, guidelines and regulations (which I highly appreciate) but this field (menopause) is not so black and white as you put it. I know that many women come to this forum in emotional distress or don't have time to read or is not interested in reading the more technical info and you are concerned that they may read some posts and jump into conclusions. That is a possibility and it's a risk we have to address more frequently, but that is valid for every HRT regime that is discussed here, not only "compounded".

KatyB

Hello all, an observation - I think that when Hurdity sees "compounded" her picture is unregulated, small scale, dubious pharmacies who are trying to get your money and don't care about purity / consistency etc. When Menomale sees "compounded" she clearly is visualising a pretty professional organisation who are tailoring a specific solution to a specific patient. Also I think that we have got a bit heated....maybe there are different approaches /solutions in different countries, and just because some of those offering compounded hormones in UK are the lowest type doesn't mean all compounders are....

On the original topic, I think the explanation of receptors being activated on receipt of the "other" hormone is fascinating. I've only very recently realised (duh!) that the body can change one hormone into another if it has more need of that one.....

Menomale

Hello All and Happy new year.😁
Tempest well said!
I'm for some reason producing so much oestrogen and little or no progesterone and I can't shake off these awful symptoms.
I'm back to gynaecologist on 19th January for blood results and scan as she discovered I had a fibroid.
Menomale so good to see your name again😁😁😁😁hope you are well.
I hope the gynaecologist has some answers and solutions for me.

Hi Autumn16!

How are you doing? I hope yor blood results are ok!

xxx

Autumn16

Hi Menomale
I saw the gynaecologist in January.
My scan results showed no fibroids!!
Gynaecologist was happy with bloods. She started me on evoril sequi so I'm in week 3 and progesterone patch on today!!
I had initial symptoms of surging with first patch but put that down to already having lots of oestrogen and just adding more so kept busy to distract myself.
I have had good days and days when just wanted to cry for no reason!!
A few aches in the hips the initial patch gave me a few headaches, I don't normally get headaches.
Waiting to see what the progesterone patch will bring, good or bad? With previously very low progesterone and high oestrogen I'm waiting to see if I'll feel any difference.
I keep telling myself I'm strong and I won't let this beat me or define me.
Every day is so different so for the moment trying to take each day as it comes.
I have been reading but not posting as wanted to give patches a chance to kick in.😁

Menomale

Good to know you're still around and no fibroids!! Oh, I used to be proud not having this extra weight but now I've got at least 3, but just 2 showed in last scan.

You're strong dear, and wise! It's early days and you'll be experiencing the roller coaster, but hopefully it will settle soon.

XXX

Autumn16

Hi All
Just a quick update.
Put the progesterone patch of my evoril sequi on yesterday morning and by early evening I thought why do I feel different and then it dawned on me...I felt like my old self!! Dare I say normal. The foggy head, surging just disappeared.
I am one of those ladies that needs progesterone.
Hope everyone is doing ok
Xx

dangermouse

That's good news, yes the feeling like yourself is such a relief I agree!

I was reading earlier that our progesterone in the follicular phase comes from the adrenal cortex (like men's progesterone) and perhaps it's why low levels allow more adrenaline in, as well as the unopposed oestrogen given free reign to upsurge.

Adrenaline surges are great when you need to run for your life, and I'll even accept them when I'm about to do something scary (as I can then control those levels with my rational thoughts - I'm a CBT therapist) BUT I DO NOT want to feel churning fear and intense nausea when I'm relaxing at home watching Coronation Street! It's really not that scary.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]