Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: need a big hug, sorry  (Read 2834 times)

PoF

need a big hug, sorry
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:04:44 AM »

I have not posted for three years ... how time flies when you're in menopause (not)!
I've ben menopausal since age 32, having suffered a premature menopause at that point and have been preimenopausal / menopausal with various symptoms since then and now I'm 47.   I realise that means I have more or less been menopausal for more years than I was 'normal'!
Have been on HRT for 5 years and it's mostly OK.   But last time I posted about adrenaline surges and palpitations about three years ago.   Well I've got used to those and cope with them very well mostly as I no longer fear them and usually can relatively easily ride through them (once you get the hang of this, I do find it helps a lot).

But oh now the joys of headaches. I've always been a very headache-prone person since about age 25 anyway.   But they improved a lot in my late 30s and early 40s ..... now at 47 I've noticed a get a lot of headaches again, especially during the progesterone phase of my HRT and then again around the beginning of the new cycle (I use Evorel patches which I essentially 'like') but sick to death of headachy situation .... sick to death of feeling rubbish really.  It really never seems to end.

just feeling like a moan.  Sorry :'( :'(

... want to skip energetically and sweetly through the meadows feeling FFFAABBBUUULLLLLOOOOUUUUSSS

Hurdity

Re: need a big hug, sorry
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »

:bighug: Hi PoF

If you are on Evorel conti then it could well be the progestogen (norethisterone) giving you headaches if you are experiencing these in this part of the cycle. The headaches after you swap back to the oestrogen only patches are likely to be due to progesterone withdrawal and typical of "normal" pmt.

Have you thought of changing type? Also you are only on a medium dose of HRT and some women experience more headaches with low oestrogen. Are your flushes and sweats well controlled with these patches?

I would suggest perhaps trying a different type - there is Femseven sequi which has a different progestogen in it and then there is the possibility of separate oestrogen (patches or gel) and progesterone which means you would be able to increase the oestrogen separately.

I use Estradot patches which are very small and stick well - and come in a range of doses.  Some women love the oestrogen gel too. Coupled with this I use Utrogestan (progesterone) on a long cycle every 6-8 weeks. You might find you get fewer headaches on a different regime. Also there is the Mirena coil which delivers progestogen to the uterus locally - but if you are considering this I would try Femseven first as it contains the same progestogen ( levonorgestrel).

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

PoF

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:48:19 PM »

thanks for this which seems to be very interesting advice.   I think you are right - it's usually in the progesterone part of the cycle, and indeed again just after the oestrogen cycle begins.   I DID mention this to my doctor - I told him I felt the swings in hormones made me headachy but he said that was not possible since the patches deliver an even amount of hormone.   I think he misunderstood me .... there is a definite pattern, just like menstrual headaches and it tends to match the change in hormones.

they are low to moderate, but they tend to occur in each monthly cycle and I am getting really fed up by them.   Like I said I have been menopausal for now 15 years ..... and it's rotten, especially since these 15 years are the years BEFORE the menopause should have begun!   I will then effectively be menopausal most of my adult life since I assume other symptoms will then continue once I stop the patches knowing my luck!

I might try to go back at some point and see if I can change brands or something as you suggest.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 07:01:27 PM »

Go back sooner rather than later!  No need to suffer  ;)

:bighug:

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:53:42 PM »

Sending a  :bighug: as requested!

I hope you are successful in finding an alternative HRT.  You might find that you don't get symptoms when you eventually come off HRT.  My previous GP (the only one I have had who has been any help) says that some women don't get symptoms after.