Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Really struggling....  (Read 11839 times)

abbyH

Re: Really struggling....
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2017, 07:59:51 AM »

I will do
Thanks Annie... I know it's all very hard.. My hair has got worse since NOT being on any kind of HRT (tried it for a few weeks) so it's clearly linked, I can feel it shrinking and falling out even as I write!

I think docs don't have a clue and just want to get rid of us but come April when I woudl have been evaluated again it would have been nearly a year since my surgery and I've just been left to get on with it basically... and lost so much more hair!

I'll let everyone know how I get on...maybe a 3 month trial of tibolone ?

Hurdity

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2017, 11:49:21 AM »

Hi abbyH

Did you say you did not have your ovaries? If so ( ie no ovaries) then it is more likely to be testosterone you need rather than progesterone - I mean have you been offered this in addition to oestrogen? When I went to have mine prescribed (T gel) the gynae said that many women find that increasing oestrogen does not work but when given a small amount of testosterone this did often help with symptoms.

I agree it really does sound like hormones rather than diet - as I said also in my first response on the thread. I only mentioned diet because there had been a lot of posts on it and I am sure that even for those with mild thyroid problem (sub-clinical) the slightest change in diet makes a difference - and if you are in surgical menopause then even more so. eg for the last week I started having (oat based) cereal for breakfast as I've been feeling under the weather/migraine etc - and I have put on another couple of pounds - the rest of the day I eat virtually no carbs - so I think some women do respond very quickly to these changes - and I take a fair bit of exercise. Doc said this week there was nothing wrong with my thyroid - looking at blood results from TWO years ago!

First and foremost though your hormones do need a proper investigation and not be dismissed!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2017, 03:25:56 PM »

Do take a list to your appt..  Thyroid dis-function can cause problems of it's own  >:(  ::)

abbyH

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2017, 03:53:10 PM »

Thanks.. yes I have been trying to get  hormonally balanced since my op in June

Hurdity, there's no reason why oatmeal can't be part of a low carb diet plan it's rich in fiber and one cup is only 28g of carbs!

If you are on a seriously low carb diet (i.e 20gs or less a day then yes) it's what goes on top that is probably problematic.. I have the whole grain variety with berries, flaxseeds, sometimes goji berries and it really gives me a feeling of fullness and energy. When I go back to eating eggs again (after my vegan january) then a few days of egg-based (i.e protein) based breakfasts will be great

CArb cycling is a good way to go I think, doing one day of low or no carbs and one day of a (good carbs, not white bread and rice types)

anyway.. I'm going to see my doc next week, she knows I've been in the same place since June last year (i.e struggling post-total hys and BSO) and I'm going to ask for tibolone to at least get some hormones into my system. I just don't think teh oestrogen only route is working and I feel miserable on it

I'll report back!

Abby

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2017, 04:12:15 PM »

Good Luck!

Himself started me on Lizy's organic muesli a few years ago and I don't get that hunger dip mid morning now!  It's a bit chewy though  ;D but has lots of sunflower seeds etc. in ......... I think that there are 3 types now.  Years ago we bought the basic ingredients from the Health Food Shop and made our own, we also bought pea-nut butter from a barrel: we would take our own 1lb jars and re-fill. 

abbyH

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »

HI Hurdity. I don't have my ovaries  :-*
So, the idea was that I'd take oestrogen only patch/gel and try and get levels up before adding in T  but I am finding the Oestrogen only bit really hard and I don't think I can carry on for another 4 months on that alone before the T can be added.

So, I think perhaps Tibolone might be an option for me - although slightly anxious about a few things

Do you know if, once hormones were more balanced I would be able to swtich from Tibolone to a topical HRT such as Patch +Testosterone gel?

Abby

Annie0710

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »

Abby I'm not completely sure if hormone levels test the same on Tibolone, I may be wrong but as Tibolone mimics the conversion to E,P and T  I'm sure I've read it won't give true readings. 

one for the more educated I think and that's not me ! X
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]