Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Feeling Flat on Mirena  (Read 7686 times)

murphydurf

Feeling Flat on Mirena
« on: January 07, 2017, 07:22:09 PM »

A little advice from Mirena users please.

I had mine fitted 5 weeks ago and whilst fitting and first week were no probs apart from usual side effects, since about week 3, my mood has steadily declined. Im now feeling really flat, little interest in anything, tired and socially withdrawn. I know that prog has this affect on me but thought the Mirena with low systemic absorption might be easier. Really not sure how long I should give it as it's having a significant impact on quality of life.

I'm post meno and using oestrogel 3/4 pumps alongside.

Would appreciate advice from anyone who's gone through this.

walking the dog

Re: Feeling Flat on Mirena
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 11:11:03 PM »

Hi murphydurf
Not surei can help really but saw you had no replies so thought id pop in
I had mirena fitrend end September and its had opposite affect to you my moods better each day
However my hot flushes and night sweats have returned, I'm on estradot 50 patch and it worked great until mirena so I'm thinking maybe we need more estrogen with mirena than we did previously? I'm at GP Monday so I'm going ask her about it. I'm assuming if it can affect me physically in this way it can affet you mentally until you get your estrogen dose balanced?
Hopefully someone will reply soon who has scientific knowledge as I dont
Xx

peri

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »

Hi murphydurf

I was going to suggest the same as walkingthedog maybe you need to up your oestrogen to balance out the progesterone in the mirena.  It's something I plan to do if I run into problems, I've had mine in 2 days and so far so good x
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:16:46 PM by peri »

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:18:13 AM »

Hi ladies

I've no experience of mirena and very little of progesterone as I've had a hysterectomy but I know progesterone can/does lower the effects of oestrogen (opposes) so adding more E would seem logical

Take care and hope it works x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »

Hi
I'm just over 8 weeks in with the Mirena and feel exactly the same. I know much is written about the low absorbtion but I can definitely tell.

Since I've had the Mirena, my mood is even because of less ups and downs from putting in progesterone and stopping it again but also much more angry and short fused.  I can feel searing rage which I haven't had before. Mind you, I do appreciate it's still early days. Nohisterine in evorel sequi made me feel depressed but had less issues with Femoston but did get progesterone withdrawal with that.
I suppose I'm now beginning to wonder if I have slight progesterone intolerance too.
Like you, murphydurf, no-one ever mentioned to increase my Oestrogen.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »

murphydurf - it's early days yet - the Mirena will give side effects at first - like any HRT - but your body will settle and adjust I'm sure.  DG x

Mojo61

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 01:01:38 PM »

Thank you ladies - I know there's defo a link between this low/flat/disinterest/lethargy and mirena. I'm seeing doc next week and meno clinic consultant says I should keep in touch so I'll do just that. I don't feel snappy as such, just flat. I'll inc E a bit and see if that helps. I'd like to continue with mirena but will need some sort of assurance that this is temporary.

Thanks again.

Mx

I hope this isn't the case. I'm due to have the mirena and separate oestrogen as I feel awful on the systemic HRT I'm taking and have been bleeding on and off since Feb last year. I was hoping that the mirena would help with my low mood/despondency/insomnia etc. If it doesn't work I don't know what I will do because I'm really at my wits end now with all this crap

Mojo61

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »

Hi mojo - I'd go ahead if I were you. I was also at my wits end but now just tired and therefor flat which will apparently settle. The good thing with mirena is that you can tweak E and T if you're using it to suit your required levels and there has to be a good reason why even the most eminent gynaes love it.

Mx

Thank you Murphyduff. I think I could tolerate feeling a bit flat and lethargic if I could only get rid of the awful doom and gloom feeling I have hanging over me 24/7. The only respite I get is when I'm asleep and even then my sleep is plagued by dreadful nightmares (I think as a result of the citalopram) and I wake up drenched in sweat with my heart racing between 3.30 and 4am no matter what time I go to bed. Then I can't get back to sleep again and I have to get up. Last night I dreamed that I strangled a baby, the night before that I dreamed that my son jumped out of his bedroom window and......I can't even say it  :'( :'( :'( It truly is horrific.

Mojo61

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »

Thank you again for your kind and comforting words. I'm on Kliovance 1mg/0.5mg at the moment, I'm not sure if that's a low dose or not. I'd love to get rid of the early waking/anxiety in the mornings as that has been one of the biggest bugbears of this whole thing for me, it's exhausting and I feel I've aged 20 years over the past year or so.

Hope you are feeling better today?

peri

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »

Re insomnia don't want to jinx it but I've just had 2 of the best nights sleep I've had in ages x

Mojo61

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »

Insomnia, painful joints, crippling anxiety and foggy headed every day. No enjoyment of life

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »

As murphydurf says both low oestrogen can cause a variety of symptoms in addition to flushes and sweats - eg joint pain and low mood. As I mentioned also - continuous progestogens can also lead to continuous progestogenic sdie effects - pms, headaches, bloating, fatigue, depressive feelings. The first thing I would do is to make sure you do not take progestogens every day - but unless you have a Mirena then you have to have a bleed - which many of us put up with for this reason.

I have read that some women seem to find flushes etc increase when they have a Mirena. It is well known that progestogens interfere with some aspects of oestrogen ( notably of course in the uterus where it prevents thickening of the lining), but I can't find information on vasomotor symptoms specifically - however if women find it does this then the answer is to increase the oestrogen - I presume this will flood the oestrogen receptors hopefully?

Hurdity x

Mojo61

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 05:37:12 PM »

Thank you Hurdity. Wouldn't the mirena be classed as taking prog every day though? If I was prog intolerant would the symptoms still continue with the mirena?

I really am at my wits end with all this, I've been feeling dreadful every day for well over a year now. It's not a life it's an existence, I'm just going through the motions it seems...

I saw the doctor in November and she was going to refer me to have the coil fitted as there was some confusion over who would actually agree to fit it for me. Family planning wouldn't because it's not contraception, and the practice doesn't fit them either. How long shall I leave it before chasing it up do you think?

Sorry to hijack this post too!

Mojo61

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 09:48:03 PM »

Thank you so much! I shall phone for an appointment tomorrow although it will probably be a few weeks until they can fit me in - bah!

The other option is to go and see Prof Studd. I'm very lucky in that I've recently been left a nice sum of money in a will so I will be able to afford to go  :)

sweettooth

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 12:01:20 AM »

Hi Murphy years ago I was on estrogen and had a mirena fitted, after a few weeks I had to have it removed as I felt so down!! Doc was reluctant but I had to insist as I knew it was the progestin ....never agreed with me.  Do hope you get sorted x
Pages: [1] 2