Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Screw tops  (Read 8999 times)

Kathleen

Re: Screw tops
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 09:03:14 PM »

Hello cubagirl.

Breaking the airtight seal is the trick as ariadne says. To do this I tap all the way around the lid with the handle of a knife to create indentations which then breaks the seal and loosens the lid.

Take care ladies.

K.

dahliagirl

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 09:46:47 PM »

my mother in law used to swear by a device she got out of one of those homeware catalogues that come through the door - it was like a rubber fairy cake case.

For jars, I stab them with an old fashioned manual tin opener of the type used for camping in the 1970s - saved specially for the purpose.  That usually works.  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 10:55:07 PM »

Crisp packets have become more difficult to open, I think it's the Fat Police  ;).  I tried to open a packet of GO! biscuits in the car recently when I had a sudden dip when travelling, we almost had to stop so that Himself could do it 4 me  >:(.  Found a nail-file eventually !

cubagirl

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 11:53:11 PM »

;D ;D ;D see what desperation does to us.

Managed to open wine tonight. Must have been really desperate!  ;D

cubagirl

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »

Found some contraption in my kitchen drawer. Must have bought, thinking I'd need it.  ;D Worked a treat on wine bottle. Now to try on more sensible containers.  :D Hubby looked on in shock that I'd opened wine bottle.  ;D ;D ;D

cubagirl

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »

;D ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »

>hands over glass<  ;D

I had difficulty getting a bun out of an already opened packet earlier  >:(  :-X

dahliagirl

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 01:03:01 PM »

I have some very grippy nut crackers that are good at opening wine bottles.  No good at nuts, of course.

babyjane

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 02:08:43 PM »

chopping is the same, we both have trouble with it, especially onions - slippery little blighters.  Today we have ordered a nice little electric chopper for onions, garlic, chillies, nuts, things like that.  We reckon in the year we are both 60 we deserve it and I will slice my fingers a lot less often now  :)

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 02:10:29 PM »

Babyjane - that reminds me of a conversation I heard in the last couple of days about a contestant in a cookery programme who managed to  :-X the top almost off his finger  :o

It was so frustrating earlier that it almost went into the bin, 3 buns and the bag !

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2017, 05:05:59 PM »

LOL!  I bet had I dropped the already opened packet the 3 buns left inside would have fallen onto the floor  ::)

What's been fighting back today? for me it was my walking boots, trying to put them un-successfully on earlier, eventually I looked down and they were the wrong way ...... left trying to get into a right boot doesn't work  :P

cubagirl

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »

Oh CLKD!  ;D

nearly50

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 07:52:31 PM »

LOL!  I bet had I dropped the already opened packet the 3 buns left inside would have fallen onto the floor  ::)

What's been fighting back today? for me it was my walking boots, trying to put them un-successfully on earlier, eventually I looked down and they were the wrong way ...... left trying to get into a right boot doesn't work  :P

I got my jacket completely stuck to my basket in Morrisons and one of the women had to help me. Felt like primary school all over again!

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2017, 08:32:32 PM »

Trey suggests:

https://smile.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Jar-Opener/dp/B002DWA6KM/ref=sr_1_4's=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1483817051&sr=1-4&keywords=Jar+opener

I need someone to agree to empty my commode on a regular basis when push comes to shove  ;)

cubagirl

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 10:19:57 PM »

Added to my list.
Pages: 1 [2] 3