Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Tranexamic acid  (Read 4361 times)

nearly50

Tranexamic acid
« on: January 03, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »

I haven't had a period for nearly 3 months but started today and it is very very heavy. I have bought Cyklo F from Boots but told them my periods were still regular as that's one of their tick box questions. Just wondering if the doctor is likely to prescribe me Tranexamic acid if I go to see him. Have been for lots of tests and doctor says bleeding is due to perimenopause and fibroids. Do they give repeat prescriptions out, or is this supposed to be just used for holidays or such like?

Thanks

countrybumpkin

Re: Tranexamic acid
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:43:55 PM »

Trawling back through my memory when I was given trax acid to try in perimenopause. It didn't work for me but some people find it very helpful.  Had it helped me then I could have used it every time I was flooding so would have been on repeat presx but to begin with you only get smaller amount as I seem to remembe there was a limit on how many days you could use it for. It does carry risks ( thrombosis) so is not for everyone.

Salad

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:19:11 PM »

I used Transexamic Acid for several months whilst waiting for my Hysterectomy. It was originally prescribed to help control the excessive bleeding, but as it takes 24 hours to begin working and the first 24 hours were the problem for me it wasn't a complete success. I had it as a repeat prescription, along with the Mefanemic Acid tablets I had taken for years.
I really wish I'd had my hysterectomy at least 10 years earlier - felt like a new woman afterwards  :)

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:59:50 AM »

Transexamic worked so well for me as soon as I had the prescription filled the heavy bleeding stopped and I never had to take one  ;D  In the two years of dealing with bleeding before that, I learned that nsaids such as ibuprofen work fairly well with lessening heavy bleeds. I usually started them at the first sign of my period and took every 4 hours according to the dosage on the package for a day or two. It made the difference between unbearably heavy and moderately heavy for me.

nearly50

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 06:28:08 AM »

Haha Lizab, that would be ideal!

Unfortunately I haven't reacted well to them and been up all night with stomach pain, nausea and chills (unless it is a coincidence). Not ideal for my first day back to work. Thanks for reminder about ibuprofen, sounds a better option for me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:06:07 AM by nearly50 »

2cats

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 11:18:02 PM »

Have just had to use it twice in 2 weeks over Christmas for 4 days at a time and it worked with no side effects that I'm aware of.  Slowed flow right down but as soon as I stopped it bleeding came back.  2nd time worked though I have now come on again though not too heavy.  Can't believe there is any blood left!!

111 GP told me she thought it sounded like a fibroid breaking up due to the gelatinous nature of what came out (sorry tmi).  Going for a check up on 17th and really want a scan to see what's going on.

nearly50

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »

My stomach's been causing my problems for months so is particularly sensitive to anything I take. Ibuprofen did make a bit of a difference and it ended up not being as horrific a period as I was having this time last year - I know what you mean about feeling you can't possibly have any blood left. Might be worth getting ferritin checked and/or taking iron supplements.

I didn't realise fibroids can break up - is this another horror I have to look forward to I wonder. Be good to get rid of them though :)

2cats

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »

According to this lovely GP on the phone fibroids do this...I'll let you know once I've spoken to my GP on 17th. :)