Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Scared after vaginal scan results  (Read 4283 times)

NJJ

Scared after vaginal scan results
« on: January 04, 2017, 09:55:23 AM »

I went for the results of my vaginal scan after bleeding after 4 years post menopause. She said I got to wait to see results of pep but my uterus was 5mm which is border line so scared I have cancer.I also have an on going UTI  which will not go after two lots of antibiotics. So one Dr tells me bleed could be from that while another scares me about it could be to do with a vaginal bleed.I do not know what to do my Xmas was ruined with all this worry.

Dancinggirl

Re: Scared after vaginal scan results
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM NJJ
You poor thing - it's awful when doctors don't explain things properly and just leave you worrying without fully understanding the full picture.
I assume you have had a scan due to an unexplained bleed? If you are 4 years post meno then a vaginal bleed does need to be investigated - however you don't tell us how old you are?  if you are still in your early 50s then sometimes the ovaries can give a final gasp and produce some oestrogen that could cause this bleed. I'm certainly not an expert but I think a 5mm thickness is unusual in post meno??!!! If, however, the bleed is something more serious then early detection and treatment is very wise - you should get results from the tests soon and, if required, treatment can be set in progress.  There are many reasons why one gets a bleed so don't expect the worst - however, I do understand that you may be thinking the worst.
As to the UTI - when they test your urine sample, does it come back from the lab showing infection? Often when meno hits, we women get UTI symptoms without infection (there may be trace blood present) and these UTI symptoms are urogenital atrophy that needs treatment with local oestrogen and vaginal moisturiser.
At one time the burning urethra and urge to pee was so bad I was peeing blood and I got very frightened.  I had a cystoscopy which showed my bladder was fine - I was told it was atrophy and I needed to keep using local oestrogen - this local oestrogen really helps to keep things comfortable and I will probably need to use this for the rest of my life.
Antibiotics won't help I'm afraid unless there actually is infection present.  Do ask your GP if the tests showed infection - once your pep results came back as all clear, I would actually ask the GP to prescribe Vagifem local oestrogen as this will help keep the whole urogenital area healthy. In the mean time do buy some SYLK vaginal moisturiser and use every day to help to keep things comfortable and soothed - you can get this online.
It's good you are getting tested as this is wise and necessary.  Hopefully all will be made clear soon - but in the mean time, try to relax more, eat well, get out for some brisk walks and be reassured that you are doing all the right things to ensure you stay healthy for the long term.
Keep us posted  DG x

Megamind

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »

How long had you been bleeding for and was it only one bleed?

It's awful when Dr's give you conflicting diagnosis. How long do you have to wait for the results?

My Mum has suffered with repeated UTI's for year and she does sometimes have a bleed with it.

Evelyn63

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »

Can fully understand how worried you are NJJ, Dancing girl has covered everything in her very helpful post, as she said, unexplained vaginal bleeding post menopause really does require further investigation.  Was it after intercourse by any chance? sometimes something as simple as a vaginal erosion, or as mentioned in DG's post, Vaginal atrophy can cause bleeding on contact, due to the walls of the vagina being so thin and friable.  I hope you don't have too long to wait for the results and in the meantime , keep busy and get out and about as much as possible. 

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 02:09:56 PM »

Hi NJJ

:welcomemm: from me too.

Just to add that 5 mm is most definitely not thickened! 4-5 mm is the threshold beyond which it might be necessary to do investigations but bleeding at this level of thickness should not normally automatically mean womb cancer! From what I've read most endometrial cancers usually arise from endometrial hyperplasia which itself arises as a consequence of a thickened lining. However as Dancinggirl says it is especially important for it to be investigated as 4 years post-meno is unusual - but does depend on your age too. Have you taken HRT at all? You may also have a fibroid. Also depends on body weight - cancer is more of a risk in the overweight and obese. Did you notice any typical menstrual cycle symptoms before the bleed (if it was a proper bleed rather than spotting)?

As Evelyn 63 said a cervical ectropion can cause light bleeding especially after sex - which is what happened with me - and as mentioned you haven't said what size the bleed was and how long. I'm not sure what result you are waiting for - as I don't know what pep is but hopefully you will hear soon and all will be well. Have you also had regular cervical smear tests which test for cervical cancer and pre-cancer?

Try to stop worrying although I know how difficult this is at such a time and especially as you've had Christmas in between. Let us know how you get on - and as Evelyn63 says - try to do things to take your mind off it in the meantime!

Hurdity x

NJJ

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 05:43:31 PM »

Thankyou for all your reply's.I am 52 and had a bleed a week before Xmas after 4years menopause.
I do have a water infection as it has come back from testing but I am on my 3rd lot of tablets so far and it still uncomfortable when I wee.My vaginal scan picked up a bladder infection also.
The confusion is I don't know when I bled if it came from my wee or vagina so that's why I got two cases going on at once.
I do have a fibroid but a small one that they said did not matter.

Megamind

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 06:37:51 PM »

Well hopefully its from the UTI. My Mum often got a scare when she saw the blood. I hope you feel less scared now and can relax a bit.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »

NJJ - I think there is now some concern about the treatment of UTIs - the 3 day course of ABs is often not enough and a more powerful AB taken for longer is often necessary!!! Hopefully they have now actually identified the bacteria and given you the correct ABs for this infection.
Do drink a glass of water, with half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, morning and evening as this can relieve symptoms and reduce the horrid burning. Avoid anything acidic like cranberry or orange juice and also avoid caffein.  DG x

losttheplot

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »

Just wanted to add my re-assurance. I had a bled 4 years after my lmp, it went on for 7 days, the scan showed my womb thickness was 11mm after the bleeding! I had an investigation - under general as they couldn't get 'in' when they tried in outpatients. Results came back clear! I think it was a period. I was never given any explanation.
It worried me for a few years, i wanted to repeat the scan but gp said no need.
Hopefully yours will just be a blip too.
With your other symptoms :
Vaginal atrophy causes all sorts of unpleasant things, try to find a gp who understands the menopause and doesn't give up trying to help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »

If ABs haven't touched the 'infection' then symptoms are probably due to vaginal atrophy.  Has the GP recommended pain relief as well as ABs?  After you have completed the treatment then do eat LIVE yoghurt which will ease good bacteria down the whole alimentary tract, into the gut and bowel upping the 'good' bugs which can cause symptoms.

Drink plenty!  I've found in recent weeks that by not drinking enough symptoms are niggling!

NJJ

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 07:31:34 PM »

Thankyou again everyone for your continued help and advice. It really makes sense about vaginal atrophy.I reasurched it as I had never heard of it before and I have lots of the symptoms especially when I read it can come on after extreme stress.On The morning I bled it was after a very stressful incident the previous evening and after a very stressful year.I have taken all your advise on board thank you for your contined support.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 11:01:04 PM »

If you use the 'search' button here for "Vaginal Atrophy" you will see lots of threads, 'My Bladder etc.' being one and Suzy Q wrote about her trials with the blasted condition  :(